• This topic has 1,777 replies, 181 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by plumble.
Viewing 40 posts - 1,321 through 1,360 (of 1,778 total)
  • Pinnacle Arkose Three (jameso to the forum please)
  • snotrag

Guys – can anyone with a 2016 Arkose comment on tyre clearance at the front, using this fork that came on your bike?

https://www.evanscycles.com/pinnacle-arkose-carbon-fork-EV250550?1=-1,esvcrea:315915115417,esvplace:,esvd:m,esvtg:aud-581384347586:pla-309527903177,esvo:EV250550-NA-BLK,esvaid:50080&1=-1&lsft=esvt:60400-GOUKE4982484,esvq:,esvadt:999999-0-1352014-1&esvwa=NISO_Bike%20Forks_Pinnacle_No%20Year_Normal&esvwa=NISO_Bike%20Forks_Pinnacle_No%20Year_Normal&esvwc=UK_Shopping_GEN-M_Components_Bike%20Forks&esvwc=UK_Shopping_GEN-M_Components_Bike%20Forks&esvt=60400-GOUKE4982484&esvq=&esvadt=999999-0-1352014-1&esvcrea=315915115417&esvplace=&esvd=m&esvtg=aud-581384347586:pla-309527903177&esvo=EV250550-NA-BLK&esvwm=CPC&esvws=Google&esvwt=&esvaid=50080&gclid=Cj0KCQiAh9njBRCYARIsALJhQkES-Dvadr4h8AiBZeC5ZZseLfzdkkIRE6xeXRdAxPbjbXw8TrNWXqUaAuEAEALw_wcB

Fork

It looks ideal for my own bike (not an arkose) but i need it to fit 700×42 WTB Resolutes through.

It does say 40c on the website but I dont trust the accuracy of it.

I tempted to order it into stock snd take my wheel in.

Thanks.

jameso

40mm is the limit really. 42 may fit but 5mm clearance or less. Resolutes are good for wetter conditions and you’ll be lacking good side clearances if it’s muddy.

luv2ride
    Free Member

Check out my post on page 30. Pictures of the rub on the inside of that model fork with tubeless 40mm Nano’s, which measured at 43mm. I’m now running 38mm Gravel Kings which seem better, as in no longer rub the forks…

snotrag

Thanks both, ill give it a miss and keep looking!

eduea
    Free Member

@jameso

Thanks for the feedback.

I called them last week and was able to start the shipping process.  Although was supposed to be shipped last Thursday today finally was shipped!!

So this week I should have it here 💪🚀😁

Thanks for the support !

jameso

Good stuff, glad it’s all sorted, cheers

hochmatoch
    Free Member

@jameso

I love my Arkose 4 2018, smashing bike. I wouldn’t mind an extra bit of flare in the handlebars. All roads currently leading to Salsa Cowchippers but they ain’t cheap. I noticed the spec for the 2019 Arkose X shows a more interesting bar: 21 degrees flare, 76mm reach. Any chance that this bar will be available for sale separately?

jameso

^ yes, probably at some point. It’s the new version of a TW supplier’s bar, other brands sell it or the previous version which is very similar. The Genetic Digest flare bar that St John St sell is the same as the older version of the bar. I’ve used the old version for some big rides, it’s great, but not to everyone’s tastes. The Arkose X bar is a fraction less flared I think, but still at 70s NY disco levels.

hochmatoch
    Free Member

Many thanks, Digest looks nice. Glitterball not included

easily
    Free Member

Hello
    I posted a couple of months back about how pleased I am with my 2018 Arkose 3. Still am.
    At the time I wrote that the only issue I had was the amount of punctures I’d been getting.

Well, two months later I’m still getting them – 11 since early January, including one yesterday and another today. This is on the same commute where I’d had perhaps 2 in 6 months before changing bike.

I’m going to try new tyres. I’ve thought a lot about what I need, and I think I’ll be getting these: https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/TYVITREVG/vittoria-revolution-g-graphene-700c-wired-tyre. They weigh bout as much as the bike, but other than that they seem perfect.

I just wanted to check to see if anyone has any experience, perhaps even tried them on an Arkose, and to ensure they’ll fit as these are 700×38 rather than 700×37.

karlp
    Free Member

That’s a lot of punctures. Are you running your tyre pressures too low? Try 100psi to see if that helps.
    I’ve exactly same bike. I set mine up tubeless. I’m running Huthinson fusion 5 on the road. No punctures.
    Btw I think tubeless is more phaff than value on road.

easily
    Free Member

I keep the pressure high – Ive been riding 65 psi which is the max recommended for the Riddlers.
    They’re good tyres – fun to ride and quite quick, but I think they’re just not right for my commute: good bike path/ poor bike path/ canal path/ loose gravel path*/ a bit of mud track when it is dry.

*this seems to be where I get most of the punctures – little bits of gravel working there way through the skin. The local council inexplicably believes that loose gravel is an appropriate material for a recommended bike route.

charliem
    Free Member

Are you running them with tubes? They don’t really have any puncture protection so tubed without sealant I guess they’re a bit vulnerable. If you’re planning to stick with tubes the Vitoria voyager hypers get good reviews.

eduea
    Free Member

Hi guys. Finally got my arkose 2. Really beautiful and nice ride. Although had some issues as both derraileur being not adjusted and the front one so low on the seat tube that would hit the bigger ring and not even move l. I really can’t understand how a bike can be shipped that way.

Anyways I wanted to know if someone has muguards or larger tyres on the arksose 2. I mean looking at it the front derraileur is so near to the Tyre that doesn’t look a mudguards would without having to cut a whole no it to fit it.

Has anyone had experience on this. Is the arkose 2 2018 with tiagra.

I tried to post a pic here but don’t know how.

Thanks

eduea
    Free Member
    easily
    Free Member

@ charliem
    Yeah, with tubes.

I agree, they tyres are too thin to use as daily commuters. I’ve persisted as they are fun to ride.
    I’m thinking of the Revolutions as I did a test ride on an Orange a while back that had them fitted, and I was impressed.

waldner
    Free Member

Hi guys. Finally got my arkose 2. Really beautiful and nice ride. Although had some issues as both derraileur being not adjusted and the front one so low on the seat tube that would hit the bigger ring and not even move l. I really can’t understand how a bike can be shipped that way.

Anyways I wanted to know if someone has muguards or larger tyres on the arksose 2. I mean looking at it the front derraileur is so near to the Tyre that doesn’t look a mudguards would without having to cut a whole no it to fit it.

Has anyone had experience on this. Is the arkose 2 2018 with tiagra.

I tried to post a pic here but don’t know how.

Thanks

Hi sorry to hear you are having a few issues. I used google photos to upload the pics on page 33 with mudguards. I am unsure when you say “looking at it the front derraileur is so near to the Tyre that doesn’t look a mudguards would without having to cut a whole no it to fit it”

All the Arkose frames are the same, there is plenty of room for mudguards. Maybe you can post a picture here using google photos or email it to Evans so they can advise you? Does sound like the Front Derailleur was not positioned correctly if it was touching the chainrings!

jameso

As above, check the cage is parallel to the chainrings, to be sure it’s not been rotated around the seat tube?
    I looked through this thread for the photo I uploaded showing the older 11s 105 FD and the tyre clearance. The long-arm road FDs do cut clearance a bit but there should be enough space for a guard – though a 45mm guard over a 37mm tyre with mudroom will be the limit and need careful setting up. I’ve seen guards modified with bit of heat to create an indent to maximise space there, depends on tyre/guard combo.

eduea
    Free Member

@waldner

@jameso

Thanks for the response guys!

Actually I think the case is what jameso mentioned of the long arm. I compared the FD to my road bike and this is fairly longer. So it seems this tiagra has the long arm.

As for the alignment on the seat tube I did it and it is in the correct place. I think jameso is right about the 45mm mudguard. However I already bought a 53mm. Maybe will have to exchange it.

I wasn’t counting on this since they advertise the big Tyre clearance. I think that for a bike for this purpose this should have been thought and not use this long arm which reduces the Tyre/mudguards clearance.

jameso

^ I think Shimano agreed as they shortened it again on some recent update FDs. But we didn’t want to add 5-7mm to the chainstay just to accommodate the mech. 42-45mm guards are the max most will use with a bike like this.

waldner
    Free Member

^ I was surprised to learn about the different FD lengths and subsequent mudguard tolerances depending on the model. Useful info, thanks jameso

Edua If I was you I could understand if you were feeling a bit annoyed having bought the 53mm mudguards, and I know you asked about this on pages 32 and 33, my info on page 33 shows 53mm mudguards fitted to my Arkose 1 which has clearance using Vittoria Terreno Mix/Vittoria Terreno Wet and Maxxis ramblers – all 40mm!

If the Arkose 2 wont accept a wider eg 40mm tyre with mudguard this does limit the options quite a bit. If you are wanting to put wider tyres on your Arkose 2 2018 with the mudguards I would get in touch with Evans head office to raise this as I think most people were not aware of the different FD length/mudguard clearance. The Arkose 2 2018 questions page 4 on evans cycles website also has a question about the mudguard size and the answer was

We would advise going for SKS Hybrid mudguards, these are 50mm wide offering enough clearance for the tyres and will just fit within the frame.
    Thanks Pinnacle Tech Expert.

Good luck!

On a sidenote, @jameso I’m looking at getting the Arkose D3, looks really good – I like the fact it has the Praxis 48-32 chainrings and the new 105 hydraulic shifters, do you reckon I can transfer the existing 53mm mudguards from my Arkose 1 2018 onto it?

eduea
    Free Member

@waldner

@jameso

Thanks guys!

Yes I did get a little annoyed cause it’s not ckear and we get same bike frame with different clearance limitations .

I was even checking on changing the front mech in the future the RS 405 shifters are only compatible with the FD 4700 mech .and I also think there are geometry issues involved .But maybe the 105 from arksose 3 would fit.. however I think not compatible with RS 405 shifters.

So I guess not many options left for me other than accepting it 🙄

jameso

RE fitting 50mm or larger guards – what I’d find acceptable in terms of fit and clearances might not be the actual tweaked limit that the bike can take and others have fitted. It also depends whether you’re keeping clearance for muddy paths or just using guards for wet-weather road use, for anything beyond wet road use I’d want 10mm or more space between tyre and guard.

The D3 bike has 45mm tyres so I personally wouldn’t recommend fitting 50mm guards with that tyre spec, they’ll fit over a smaller tyre, but then you may be better off with a smaller guard also.

The max tyre size stated for these bikes isn’t max tyres with guards space, just to clarify – it’s the max tyre size with the required clearances between tyre and frame.

Blackflag
    Free Member

My arkose has 45c tyres in. WTB Riddlers. The tolerances are very tight so i’m now looking for a different fork. Back seems fine though….

Blackflag
    Free Member

Jameso – As above, i’ve currently got 45c WTB Riddlers in my Arkose which are OK at the back but v. tight in the front. I notice that Evans also sells a bolt through version of the fork which is rated for 45c. Is this noticeably different (i can’t see any full specs) and how much more space with this give my riddlers? Cheers 🙂

hochmatoch
    Free Member

@easily

I switched from Riddlers to Nano and they’ve been great. I was thinking of going tubeless but have stuck with tubes due to the majority of my riding being on pretty good roads for the daily commute. That said, the Nanos have been great off-road too, from canal path and compacted trails to gnarlier, rockier runs. No punctures thus far. The centre tread is good for the road, they don’t feel draggy. Best of all is the price for the Nano Comp version: around £17.99 each from some retailers so you’re getting a pair for about the same price that one of the newer tubeless ready tyres costs. And they are really easy to mount meaning I’m less worried about flats if and when they do happen. Needed fingers of steel to get the Riddler bead off the rim!

easily
    Free Member

Thanks @hochmatoch, the Nanos do look as if they’d be just what I’m after. However, I ordered the Revolutions as I could get them for a fiver each from Planet X. I should be able to pick them up from the Post Office on Wednesday. I’ll post again when I’ve given them a try.

I’m glad it wasn’t just me struggling to get the Riddlers off the rims – that was partly what made all those punctures so painful.

jameso

Is this noticeably different (i can’t see any full specs) and how much more space with this give my riddlers?

If that’s the current spec fork, loads of room for 45s. The A-C is 400mm though, 5mm higher than the older 40mm max tyre fork. Minimal effect on geo, -1/4 degree.

Blackflag
    Free Member

Jameso –

Ahh no, ive got the 2015 model. Didnt know they had changed it. So, if ive got this right, if i get the newer standard QR Arkose fork it will have more tyre clearance than the 2015 fork i have at the moment.

2nd question then… does the newer fork have the same taper steerer (will it work with current headset).

Cheers for your help on this 🙂

jameso

^ ah – you mentioned a bolt-through though. The QR forks will be same as your 2015. We had a new bolt-through fork from 2017 onwards, that’s the current fork for 45s.

All Arkose forks with a taper steerer use a 1.5 integrated 45 deg lower bearing so yes, will fit the same headset.

waldner
    Free Member

@Edua

Did you manage to get your mudguards fitted or change them? I was thinking of getting the Arkose 2 and using my Arkose 1 as a backup and on a turbo trainer but the mudguard issues you have experienced have put me off a bit.

How are you finding the Tiagra Hydraulic shifters, compared to your road bike, are they comfortable? Some people have found them a bit bulky.

Are you able to tell us how much your Arkose 2 weighs? The website says 10.3 kg but I think likely closer to 11kg, this years equivalent model is listed at 11.4kg.

Thanks!

Blackflag
    Free Member

^ ah – you mentioned a bolt-through though. The QR forks will be same as your 2015. We had a new bolt-through fork from 2017 onwards, that’s the current fork for 45s.

All Arkose forks with a taper steerer use a 1.5 integrated 45 deg lower bearing so yes, will fit the same headset.

Perfect. I’ll go for the bolt through versions then. Cheers pal.

eduea
    Free Member

@waldner

I actually didn’t try to fit the guards and changed them. I just fitted the rear manually to see how would it be and noticed it would need some adjustments like cutting it. As I will not change the tyres so soon I decided to change the guards and use the 45mm with stock tyres. Let’s see how it will be to fit those.

The tiagra I found hydraulics really comfortable and had not at all felt it bulk. Maybe if someone had really small hands that could be the case, but I doubt it. The only thing is that I saw people saying that they are really crisp and similar to Ultegra But that’s is not the case in my opinion . You can clearly feel the difference , but it’s a tiagra and not a Ultegra . So it was expected and does the job well.

As for the weight mine was on 11+ kg mark as you mentioned .Something that disappointed a little as I was expecting the 10.5kg Mark as advertised. Nevertheless it doesn’t feel heavy when riding and it’s really nice to ride it..

The bike is really good overall, but this clearance thing of the rear wheel is a pain and something that they don’t tell and don’t explain . Which is the worse part in my opinion. Because if I knew that I might not have taken it for instance and gone the arkose 3.. the good thing is that I can still put larger tyres and muguards in the front wheel 🙂

Cheers

waldner
    Free Member

@Edua – thanks very much for the info! Yes I agree they should be advertising this model with a reduced mudguard clearance instead of leading us to believe they are all the same. Hope you are enjoying your bike!

easily
    Free Member

The frame number on my 2018 Arkose 3 is obscured by the brake and gear cable runner. Is there some easy way of reading it that I have foolishly missed, or do I have to move the cable runner to read it?

eduea
    Free Member

@easily

Mine came with a Pinnacle Blue plastic card together with manual which had the frame number on it. Do you have it?

I also noticed it’s difficult to read on the frame .

rOcKeTdOg

no 2019 frameset only option?

Alex

I wandered into Evans in Birmingham and they didn’t have any for me to look at. Manager was pretty cheesed off as they’d been let down loads of times by ‘head office’ apparently. I asked when he was going to get some and he shrugged. Maybe a month apparently. You can order them off the website, but I want to look at one first and – as ever – I’m between sizes.

jameso

There will be frames but not for a couple of months yet. Bikes have come in though. Been a bit hectic with order leadtimes, the sale and even Shimano stock falling off a boat -I’ve never known a new model intro that I’ve been so excited by and also been so delayed by things out of our control. Sorry to all affected by the delays. Bike’s just great though, worth a wait if you can.

Alex

Thanks for the update James..

Viewing 40 posts - 1,321 through 1,360 (of 1,778 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.