• This topic has 1,777 replies, 181 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by plumble.
Viewing 40 posts - 1,161 through 1,200 (of 1,778 total)
  • Pinnacle Arkose Three (jameso to the forum please)
  • charliem
    Free Member

@jameso quick q about the stock wheels on my 2018 arkose 4 – will the freehub take an 11sp shimano road cassette? It says 11s compatible on it but not sure if it means mtb or road. Thanks!

jameso

^ yes, 11s road compatible.

charliem
    Free Member

Awesome, thanks dude. In terms of customer service the arkose has got most bikes beat just with this thread!

davesykes
    Free Member

Thanks jameso, think I’ll stick with the 2018 pre-ordered one then. Looking forward to it!

Dave

damitamit
    Free Member

@jameso, do you know if the 2019 frames will have di2 compatibility?

jameso

^ they will – dropout cable exit’s designed around it also.

damitamit
    Free Member

ooh, exciting! thx. I think that makes my decision about getting a Arkose.

Now I just the long wait til the 2019 stuff is released…

madeupname
    Free Member

I know it’s too early to say, but any idea of how the change of ownership of Evans will affect Pinnacle?

I guess it’s unlikely to be spun off as an individual brand…

Best of luck to Jameso (is it time to take the leap and go independent? You’ve got the following on here!)

luv2ride
    Free Member

Haven’t looked in on this thread in a while, good to see it’s still going strong.  I converted my Arkose SS to 1×11 over the summer.  Sram Apex 1x chainring and RD, Sunrace mx8 cassette and Sram bar end shifter.  Pretty pleased with it…

stumpy120
    Free Member

Anyone got any idea what size of tyres I could fit on a 2013 Arkose if I run a 650b wheel instead of 700c?

jameso

I know it’s too early to say, but any idea of how the change of ownership of Evans will affect Pinnacle?

Too early to have those discussions but you’d have to look at the growth, value to the company and proliferation of bikes visible around town and see the potential to carry on as we are. The success has come from fitting the range to the retailer and product credibility. One of those aspects may shift a little in time but not the other. And thanks for the support : )

Anyone got any idea what size of tyres I could fit on a 2013 Arkose if I run a 650b wheel instead of 700c?

47mms fit those older forks OK from a couple I’ve seen set up that way. Clearance isn’t huge but it’s better at the fork than the 2015-16 fork. Borrow a wheel to check first if you can?

mickmcd
    Free Member

James O any chance you could go it alone?

jameso

Hi Mick, there’s always a chance I suppose, chance varies with circumstances. The level of opportunity would be the Q for me if I was ever making that call.

luv2ride
    Free Member

After posting about my SS to 1×11 conversion arlier, I have another question re: tyre width.  A couple of years ago I upgraded the stock Nano’s with the TCS version to try tubeless.  However I’ve noted quite a bit of rub on the inside of the fork, and measuring the 40mm tyres shows they actually come up wider at 43mm.  Looking at the pics, should I be worried?  I also note the wheel isn’t central, with 4mm clearance on the left, and only 3mm to the right (where the worse rub has occurred)

jameso

Hard to say from a pic. There’s a lot of carbon in that area as it’s where the blades and crown moulds overlap. Nano wire beads were on the limit of what fitted that fork though, on 19mm rims I think.

luv2ride
    Free Member

Thanks for the reply Jameso.  I think only the paint and maybe 0.5mm of material has so far been eroded.  Shame about the tyres as the TCS Nano’s on the slightly wider rims had been fab.  So now looking out for slightly smaller tubeless gravel tyres – anyone got any recommendations?  37mm Riddlers might be an option.  Might move over to Challenge Gravel Grinders (38mm) in the short term as have a lightly used pair, but would rather stay with tubeless given I’ve invested in the tech and like the way they ride…

witterings
    Free Member

Any idea if I can fit 48/32 chainrings on a 2015 Arkose 4 and if it’d just be swapping the chainrings or if I’d need the whole crankset??

shoogly
    Free Member

Managed to have a good wipeout on my 2018 Arkose 3 last Friday on the commute to work as I hit a road wide patch of black ice at 20mph. Only damage to the bike was a bent front wheel – my body managed to protect the bike fairly well. So, I need a new front rim. I’ve handed the bike into my LBS, but they’re saying they can’t get hold of a like for like rim. Is there anywhere I can get a matching rim and get them to build up the wheel for me? Really can’t face getting the bus to work much longer and it’s only been a day commuting without the bike!

jameso

^ fast fix – use another rim brand … slower fix – LBS may be able to supply via WTB Europe?

witterings
    Free Member

What are the differences in geometry between the Pyrolite and the Arkose …. is the Pyrolite closer to a road bike and not as slack in geometry as the Arkose (or the other way round) and will there be a 105 version later in the year??

jameso

^ Geo sheets are on the Evans site, but in short yes, the Pyrolite is more road bike-like in how it handles than the Arkose. Not what a roadie would call racy, but lighter-steering on a steep road climb than an Arkose for example. Still handles tracks and basic byways just fine on the bigger tyres though. No plans to upgrade the spec just yet sorry. It’s a sub-£1000 / RTW kind of bike that would be small volume about £1000.

wulisu
    Free Member

Hi Jameso

What about colour , do we see Pyrolite in other variation ?

I like this bike and would be happy to see it in green with orange 😉

Regards

benp1

I need to change the bearings on the front hub of my arkose 2 2015. I think they’re joytech hubs, anyone know which bearing I need? Is it an easy one to change?

witterings
    Free Member

Delivery dates now pushed back AGAIN … that’s at least the 3rd time and now not due until end of January so having it in time for Xmas is out the window  🙁

Had been holding off to get one but as I no longer have any faith in the quoted delivery dates will probably look at alternatives instead.

sgurra
    Free Member

Is it not that the delivery dates are being pushed back because of increased orders?

Similar delivery times to the Grail AL, have to wait till February for some models.

sixpotbelly
    Free Member

Loving the look of that Pyrolite!

@jameso
      I just went to swap my 42T chainring onto my 2015 Arkose 2 only to find it no longer clears the chainstay.  I know it used to, so have to assume when I changed the BB (to a 68mm Ultegra) after Tour Aotearoa I should have put spacers in, or used a mountain BB.  At least that’s what my much more knowledgeable friends are suggesting.  I was wrong to think it’d need road spacing and they’re right (again), aren’t they?

benp1

I changed the chainring on my 2015 arkose 2 and James mentioned that 40t is the biggest that would fit, off the shelf without a mod anyway. I put a 40t SS surly job on

sixpotbelly
    Free Member

I used to run the 42T on it quite happily.  It was close, but it cleared.  Now it doesn’t.  But I’ve changed the BB since it did, which is why I’m suspecting I should have used spacers…

jameso

I was wrong to think it’d need road spacing and they’re right (again), aren’t they?

🙂 yep – sort of, an MTB BB or some spacers will fix it. But tbh I’m not sure now what the spec of the 2015 BB was in terms of cup width. I could find out but it may not be an ‘asap’ thing.

benp1

James, any idea on the front hubs?

I need to change the bearings on the front hub of my arkose 2 2015. I think they’re joytech hubs, do you know how I can find out which bearing I need? Is it an easy one to change?

witterings
    Free Member

Is it not that the delivery dates are being pushed back because of increased orders?

Similar delivery times to the Grail AL, have to wait till February for some models.

Think the Grail AL’s that are being released are the 2019 …. not the 2018 models like the Arkose so a whole years difference in models.

I think it’s the fact the date’s kept changing that’s been annoying as I would have bought something else a couple of months ago if I had of known rather than waiting for it to be moved back again.

The Grail Al’s look nice though so cheers for that 🙂

jameso

Hi Ben, thought I needed to get the bearings list from one of the guys here, sorry for delay … But the Arkose 2 2015 had a c+c hub set.

6potbelly, while I had the spec sheet open I checked the chainset, it was a road spec but it seems the BB cup isn’t the same size as a Shimano. If the Shimano road BB is narrower then a spacer each side will do the trick.

sixpotbelly
    Free Member

🙂 yep – sort of, an MTB BB or some spacers will fix it. But tbh I’m not sure now what the spec of the 2015 BB was in terms of cup width. I could find out but it may not be an ‘asap’ thing.

Ta, James.  No need to look it up, I’ll put an XT BB in.  Looking at it after posting I’ve realised the chainline would benefit from the chainring being brought out that 2.5mm too.  I’m sure now I was wrong to fit a 68mm without spacers.  :thumbup:

sixpotbelly
    Free Member

6potbelly, while I had the spec sheet open I checked the chainset, it was a road spec but it seems the BB cup isn’t the same size as a Shimano. If the Shimano road BB is narrower then a spacer each side will do the trick.

Thanks!.

jb72
    Free Member

Looking at fitting mudguards to my 2016 Arkose 2. The SKS Bluemels come in 42 and 45mm … I’m running 700×35 tyres … what size would you recommend?

The mounts are of course higher up on the fork … any tips on fitting? Pictures even?

Thanks!

simonrh
    Free Member

I have been a member and reader of STW for some time but not sure i have ever posted.

I have a 2017 Arkose 4 in the stealth bomber paint scheme with everything murdered out in black.

I have recently stuck it on a set of 650B wheels and 2.0 tyres, masses of clearance still and muddy fun for the winter.

Wheels are ebay cheapies off a Whyte hardtail, cassette is the new HG700 11s 11-34 to fit the 10s hubs on the whyte wheels.

Discs are new, tyres are nearly new maxxis beavers.

Love the look of it now and didn’t even have to faff resetting indexing! Shimano reckon on 32t max on the long cage derailleur but it looks just fine with the 34t. Depending on how i get on with i may even try 40t at some point. I think the new Shimano road mechs with the MTB style design can accomodate a larer rear sprocket

This bike on its 700C rims and stock tyres has done everything so far, couple of offroad triathlons, commuting to work on the road, training with my other half on her roadbike to even out the pace, hardpack trail riding, I did SUPBIKERUN on it last year and was stacks quicker than most of the MTBs.

donald
    Free Member

1. PSA: Evans sale now on, Arkoses included: 3 = £1K ; 4 = £1080.

2. Took my two-week old Medium Arkose 3 back to Evans because I wsn’t sure that the size was right and the Edinburgh shop now had a large in stock I could test. Came away with the large no questions asked.

3. Idly mentioned the price had dropped £150 since I bought it. Was given a voucher for £150 on the spot.

Very impressed with Evans Edinburgh.

jameso

^ good stuff : )

moonboy
    Free Member

Arkose 4 ordered. £980 after discount and trade in. The guy said they had 18 mediums left in stock and could pick up next week. Blimmin excited. Have not bought a new bike in years

rydavis
    Free Member

Just discovered this thread and it has been so helpful so thanks all. Thinking about purchasing an Arkose frame to build up using parts from my current bike (Canyon Endurace). Nothing wrong with the bike just need something I can fit more tyre in!

@simonrh
    is that frame gloss? Hard to tell from the picture and ideally want a gloss frame

Viewing 40 posts - 1,161 through 1,200 (of 1,778 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.