Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Pinkbike.com Buy/Sell Classifieds – Anybody been scammed before??
  • jakethemech
    Free Member

Hi Guys

I know we’re on STW and I’m asking a quesion about Pinkbike.com, but I was just wondering if anybody had any bad experiences on there, and if so, what they did about it.

I’ve sold & bought loads of stuff on STW Classifieds for years now, and never had any issues, but I “bought” a pair of Fox forks on the Pinkbike classified section on Wednesday 25 May, paid £210 into the bank account given… never had any more messages from the seller since then or, needless to say, no fork received yet.

I’ve sent him tons of messages to get in touch to let me know what’s going on, but to no avail… unfortunately, Pinkbike.com doesn’t show the seller’s e-mail address, so you can only send messages via the site.

I might just be paranoid, but the lack of communication is making me nervous… any thoughts? Would I be able to approach the Police about it, being that I at least have bank account details that the money was sent to?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

wwaswas

have they posted on pink bike subsequently?

what’s there history there – long term poster or was this their first one?

Bregante

I agree that the sellers comms are poor and I always try to send stuff the next day but it’s only just over a week since you bought (including a bank holiday) so I would give it a bit longer TBH

jakethemech
    Free Member

Wwaswas – No, they haven’t posted on there since, and he/she has only been a member of Pinkbike.com since the 12th Of May, so first post!

Bregante – I take your point, mate… the only thing that’s making me paranoid is that he/she said they would let me know as soon as the funds has cleared, which it has according to my bank statements (normally no more than 5 working days to clear, right?)… yet no message!

jakethemech
    Free Member

Where do I stand legally if the fork never shows up?

granny_ring

I wouldn’t spend that much with someone with no previous posting history but maybe that’s me being ultra cautious!

Hope it all works out.

scaredypants

he/she has only been a member of Pinkbike.com since the 12th Of May, so first post!

that’s pretty brave of you

Where do I stand legally if the fork never shows up?

obtaining money by deception, I guess (no, I’m not 😕 )

bruneep

that’s pretty brave of you

Yup!

No offence to the OP, but it amazes me how trusting some people are when it comes to sending money to strangers.

B

jakethemech
    Free Member

Jeez… thanks, guys… that makes me feel even better, ha-ha!! Maybe I just like to give people the benefit of the doubt, especially considering we all love the same sport? Not to say there won’t be scum out there in the MTB community waiting to rip somebody off… really hope this turns out alright, always a shame that a small minority ruin it for everybody else.
    I’ve never once had to check how long somebody’s been a STW forum user before I bought/sold anything from them and everytime it’s been an absolute pleasure.
    Maybe I was lucky or maybe Pinkbike.com attracts a different crowd?

bongo136
    Free Member

yes pinkbike does attract a different crowd, there are some right scallys on there 🙁

bruneep

maybe Pinkbike.com attracts a different crowd?

Oh 4 sure it does, much better when the schools are in tho.

I was fed up getting offers to swap a bmx/xbox for my £2k D/H bike or will you swap my shagged boxxers for you 40’s 🙄

Chrismc1
    Free Member

It wasnt these fox forks? http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12778071

I have just had to open a dispute through paypal. The seller also wanted payment sent as gift but was weary as this was his first sale. Even tho I paid normal paypal I could still loose my money 😥

I have been buying/selling on STW and always received my items (some have taken a while to be delivered mind you!)

As someone said we are all like minded folk and I would like to think we are all honest, but there are scammers everywhere unfortunately.

metal_leg
    Free Member

Hmmm. Appears to be an orderly queue for those fox forks on bike radar. I guess its something to do with the price.
    Sorry, but I have bought and sold a couple of things here with no problems but always with someone with posting history on the normal forums. I stay away from first posters and people who only have activity on the classifieds.

crashbanggg
    Free Member

I got scammed £140 for an Xbox off Pinkbike, and all the bastard got was community service, didn’t even get my money back.

jakethemech
    Free Member

Chrismc1 – Yep… not the same picture, but pretty much the same story, off a Giant, brand-new, taken off the bike because he prefers Rock Shox, blah-blah…. I’ve been scammed, haven’t I?? Lost £210…. great.

Bastards… absolute bastards.

He told me that he reached a £1000 limit on paypal, so couldn’t receive any funds in there at the moment, so I paid it into a bank account he gave me… surely the Police could trace the account back to him??

Moral of the story – if something looks too good to be true, it probably is…

phosawyer
    Free Member

Ive only been buying off of STW and BikeRadar for about a month buying bits to build up a BluePig. Was very dubious until a mate whos used STW for years said as long as you check the sellers out then you should be fine. Apart from tyres,frame and forks Ive bought everything from forums.

I have used pinkbike and have got everything i wanted, but would never buy anything for more than £100 off of ANY forum because of the risk.

I hope it works out well.

joeydeacon
    Free Member

If the person that Chrismc1 posted is the same guy then if you search on Facebook using their e-mail address, you’ll find their profile (won’t post it here as this guy might be innocent).

It lists his workplace, as well as his friends / girlfriend.

Make a back up of his profile page, and then start chasing his nearest and dearest for info.. I imagine that’ll get you your forks pretty quickly.

billysugger
    Free Member

granny_ring – Member
    I wouldn’t spend that much with someone with no previous posting history but maybe that’s me being ultra cautious!

I sometimes think I know the most useless people who’d be equally as productive in life if they were born mute until I read messages on web forums.

Konastoner
    Free Member

Chrismc1, this is your guys Pink Bike profile. It may assist if you use his wall to post comments on, others see this.

billysugger
    Free Member

joeydeacon redresses the balance.

sssimon
    Free Member

this also sounds very like DJones1966 who was advertising 15mm f120 fox a week or so ago, even the bikes in his profile are similar

scam central sadly on pink bike, strangely enough the last two people i’ve bought off on there are now marked as scammers too but I got my bits.

Go speak to the police, internet fraud is fraud, doesn’t matter who or where.

Chrismc1
    Free Member

Yes DHarris1989 or dave has been scamming people. The paypal account I put the money into is j_cougar_red which is the same account name on his pinkbike account.

I have details like phone numbers etc I can pass on to you and the police, my email is in my profile.

Let me know if there is anything I can help with.

xiphon
    Free Member

Is this yet another “I’ve been an idiot and sent lots of money to a random person over the internet” type thread?

LOL!! No sympathy from over here!!

A fool and their money….

uplink
    Free Member

LOL!! No sympathy from over here!!

A fool and their money….

I don’t think he was asking for any
    are you always that pleasant or did you make a special effort?

xiphon
    Free Member

It just astounds me how willing people are just send a fair whack of cash to someone over the internet without using an ounce of common sense?

But then again, many people still fall for the old “I have 1 million dollars in a Ugandan bank account with your name on it”

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Pinkbike.com Buy/Sell Classifieds – Anybody been scammed before??’ is closed to new replies.