Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • Pinion gearboxes
  • ianpinder
    Free Member

They look amazing.

I can’t wait!

original_DSC_0296_01 by ianpindir, on Flickr

original_DSC_0254_01 by ianpindir, on Flickr

steveoath
    Free Member

How does that work?

Edit: Note to self, Google it!!
    http://pinion.eu/en/discover-pinion/pinion-p1-18/

mtbant
    Free Member

I’ve been loosly following these, any more news on availability?

messiah
    Free Member

Hmmm, to Pinion or XX1 ❓

Back in the real world I’ll stick with 9spd until the stuff I have dies 😈

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Someone on this ‘ere forum has one. Can’t remember who.

interesting chain-tensioner. I’d have thought a single pulley like a chain-guide/device would have been neater.

Edit – is it you ianpinder? Is that yours?

ianpinder
    Free Member

Mine should be with me the end of this month. The one you see in the picture is pretty much the first production customer nicolai one.

The chain tensioner is located there because the chain is more secure on the front ring and saves you having to run a chain guide. They found on the proto they sometimes dropped the chain on the front when used with a rohlf tensioner, so they designed this one.

IMO doesn’t look quite as clean as a rear chain tensioner, but never the less, function over form

ianpinder
    Free Member

mtbant – Member

I’ve been loosly following these, any more news on availability?

There are very few bike companies making the compatible frames, I only know of Nicolai but there are a few others, if you order one now you might be lucky by Christmas.

If you are interested speak to Nicolai UK

Ewan
    Free Member

Does that weigh a ton?

ianpinder
    Free Member

About a lb heavier then a regular 2×10 set up

Gotama
    Free Member

I’m struggling to see how the guide works. Does the chain go over the top of the upper pulley and round the bottom of the lower thereby pulling the whole assembly rearward? Otherwise its surely going to last about five minutes until you ****t it on a rock/root.

mtbant
    Free Member

Ah good to know there not far off! I hope you get yours soon ianpinder 🙂

You will have to post up a review!
    I Won’t be getting one this year but will see how how things stand next year.

ianpinder
    Free Member

original_DSC_4581_small by ianpindir, on Flickr

How it looks built up

ir_bandito
    Free Member

What’s needed is a stronger version of the YESS ETR/B, designed to cope with the change in chain-length of the suspension.

Or even better, a bike designed to give minimal chain-growth when used with the Pinion.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Although, that does look bloody fantastic!

Dare I ask how much you’ve paid for frame and gearbox?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Does the chain go over the top of the upper pulley and round the bottom of the lower thereby pulling the whole assembly rearward?

Yep, like a rear mech but in reverse.

TPTcruiser

Highly desirable system.
    Is there a temptation to put a belt drive on it? Or change the chain ring following the SRAM profile for their X1?
    Better start saving … rate of saving versus price reduction looks like I will get one in 2016.

ianpinder
    Free Member

Well, it’s £3150 for the am frame with pinion cranks and shifter.

Sounds a lot, but once you add up the cost of a drivetrain (my last nicolai that was £1000) then it works out about £300 more expensive.

My frame is not a am pinion, it’s a 29er ac pinion with custom geometry!

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Is there a temptation to put a belt drive on it

At the moment, you can’t run a belt with any form of tensioner. The Gates ones can’t be bent backwards which makes using standard tensioning designs difficult. Also, becasue of the greater tension needed in the belt (more than a chain, but not as much as Gates claim IME) the spring in the tensioner would have to be pretty tiff, but would have to be regulated to maintain constant tension throughout its stroke.

Its something I’ve thought a lot about 🙂

At the moment, the only way for a belt-drive on a full-sus frame is by having a single pivot co-axial with the BB. Like a Kona A. Like my Kona A for example 🙂
    To work with th ePinion, you’d need a single pivot coaxial with the BB and the final drive, which gets massivly complicated. Would be simpler if the Pinion final drive wasn’t co-axial with the BB, which I’m sure wouldn’t be too hard for them to design. I might even have a go myself.

ianpinder
    Free Member

I’m going to see if they can do a gates, pinion ht 29er as a touring bike. Going across africa I went through 7 chains and four cassettes in 4 months!.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

I asked Pinion about doing a belt-drive when they first came out. They said they hadn’t considered it, but since their work with Nicolai I’d be amazed if they don’t.

Did you not consider a belt-drive Rohloff?

ianpinder
    Free Member

Well, I’ve not considered either yet properly, obviously I’m going to test the pinion, if I like it then I will move ahead looking at belt drive options…..

Gotama
    Free Member

That built up one looks lovely, always had a hankering for a nicolai. Look forward to seeing yours as it sounds like my perfect bike.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’m already saving for the Mk2 🙂

Nothing wrong with it as it is, but by the time I can affort it I’m presuming they’ll be well into th next development cycle.

ianpinder
    Free Member

They are talking about developing the shifter, maybe to electronic shifting to get rid of the gripshifter!

thepodge
    Free Member

If they’re running a front tensioner you’d think they’d machine a drive side dropout without a mech hanger

ianpinder
    Free Member

Hopefully in time they will….

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Our first one landed at the end of last week and is with Brixton Cycles being built up for a customer – Argon FR 26 hardtail.

Pinion *are* Gates compatible – and have said so since their launch at Eurobike last year (and the Argon Pinion is built as standard with a Gates compatible rear triangle)

Looks amazing – will be interesting to see how the total weight works out. The Argon frame with box and cranks fitted came in at 5.78kg. Large, anodised. The Argon FR isn’t a light frame to start with however!

messiah
    Free Member

Recent new arrival with a friend of mine.

33lbs with air shocks (nearly as pictured)… I plan to get a shottie sometime :mrgreen:

ir_bandito
    Free Member

that’s very nice looking.

Simon – have you seen a Gates Pinion bike yet? Has anyone actually built one?

kimbers

wow the future has arrived

i wonder if shimano are developing one?

alex222
    Free Member

the gear box itself fantastic. just a shame it has a grip shift shifter and even more of a shame it has to go on a gopping nicolai frame.

packer
    Free Member

Here’s one with a Gates drive on it:

http://www.mi-tech.de/Tyke%20Pinion%20P1.html

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Has to have a grip-shifter as it works similar to the Rohloff, ie pulls both cables to change up or down, and with all those gears to get through, that’s a lot of cable.

messiah
    Free Member

Nice find packer… that deserves it’s own picture… ooof!

packer
    Free Member

The Mi:Tech Pinion bikes have been discussed on here before if you want to know more about them:

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/18-speed-mtb-gearboxes/page/3

thepodge
    Free Member

Anyone seen one with a bb pivot yet?

jandetlefsen
    Free Member

There is another Pinion plus Gates bike on the horizon from Koga, at least that’s how the picture on the Gates blog looks like. “Koga World Traveller 29”

Eurobike Photo-Palooza: an Exclusive Sneak Peak at the Hottest Belt Drive Bikes Coming to Europe in 2013

thepodge
    Free Member

There are some very nice bikes on there

ianpinder
    Free Member

And after around 14 months of planning, mine has arrived!

Untitled by ianpindir, on Flickr

edd

Very nice! Can’t wait to see it built up…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Pinion gearboxes’ is closed to new replies.