Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Pinion gearbox reliability: do we have sufficient data yet?
  • PhilO
    Free Member

Realistically, I’m unlikely to suffer a rush of blood to the wallet sufficient to convince me to splash out, but you never know… 😀

Besides, I’m curious… So is anybody in the know regarding failure rates, etc?

honourablegeorge

WHenever I read about it, my first thought is that 18 gears is too many. Lose 7 or 8, making it xx1 equivalent the range and steps, and losing lots of weight,and it just might be a goer.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

WHenever I read about it, my first thought is that 18 gears is too many. Lose 7 or 8, making it xx1 equivalent the range and steps, and losing lots of weight,and it just might be a goer.

It’s not really though, most gearboxes work with soem sort of overdrive type gear, so it’s actualy a 9 speed gearbox, that weighs as much as a 10speed (theres one more gear), but has 18 ratio’s. And I’m hypothesising, but I bet they worked out the width needed to reliably make one gear (too narrow = quicker wearing/fragile), then filled the space between the cranks as a lot of the weight is propbably in the caseing/bearings/shafts which would be common regardless of the number of gears. So in dropping from 2×9 to 2×6 they’d not save 30% of the weight, probably not much at all.

mtbant
    Free Member

I too would like to know about reliability of the system.

honourablegeorge

thisisnotaspoon – Member
    It’s not really though, most gearboxes work with soem sort of overdrive type gear, so it’s actualy a 9 speed gearbox, that weighs as much as a 10speed (theres one more gear), but has 18 ratio’s. And I’m hypothesising, but I bet they worked out the width needed to reliably make one gear (too narrow = quicker wearing/fragile), then filled the space between the cranks as a lot of the weight is propbably in the caseing/bearings/shafts which would be common regardless of the number of gears. So in dropping from 2×9 to 2×6 they’d not save 30% of the weight, probably not much at all.

It’s a 3×6 internally – I reckon making it 2×4 would save a fair old chunk – the cogs themselves are heavy and thick compared to the casing – and I’m guessing they’re steel, while axles and casings can be aluminium. I think you could shave a lot of weight – the gearbox weighs six pounds accoring to the article that pic comes from.

Gear range quoted at 636% compared to 420% for XX1

thepodge
    Free Member

If you want a 7, 8 or 9 speed box have a look at Effigear

LoCo
    Free Member

thepodge
    Free Member

did you have something to say Loco? You seem to have been fairly vocal about their failures

slowoldman

Isn’t the main point about the lowly chain that it’s efficient?

PhilO
    Free Member

Isn’t the main point about the lowly chain that it’s efficient?

When clean, yes. When covered in mud, less so*. I certainly notice no reduction in drive efficiency over a derailleur system when riding my Rohloff-equipped bike. In theory, the spur-gear design of the pinion should be measurably (but probably not detectably by the rider) more efficient than the epicyclic design of an IHG, but who knows? It should also be stronger than an equivalent epicyclic, but it would have to be as it’s being pedalled directly (with no step-up between chairing and sprocket to reduce the torque load).

So, nobody knows of any reliability figures, then? Depending on sale volumes, that’s probably a good sign. I’m sure we’d get to hear about any major issues fairly quickly in such a high value component! 😉

*mostly, though, I hate the constant cleaning a derailleur needs, and grinding noises whenever you shift under load. For me, an internal gear arrangement is all about low-maintenance, reliable, fuss free shifting. YMMV.

shermer75
    Free Member

There’s a couple of people here who have had them for about a year or so, it would be great to get their opinions…

shermer75
    Free Member

Opinions on the pinions, haha

rickmeister

OP opinions on the Pinions for the minions….

No feedback on the Nicoli Pinion bike yet though…

epicyclo

When you’ve spent that much money on a bike, are you going to admit any problems before you’ve sold it…? 🙂

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Pinion gearbox reliability: do we have sufficient data yet?’ is closed to new replies.