Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Pinched nerve in neck, biking options?
  • argee

After the last few years of injuries, i’ve now got a pinched never in my neck, highly probable it’s from a herniated disc and with the loss of strength in my left arm, numbness in my fingers (middle, index & thumb) and the arm not doing what it’s meant to, it’s meant riding anything normal (enduro stuff like non Cannop FoD trails) isn’t exactly easy, and confidence in anything jumpy or twisty isn’t there with this feeling.

Has anyone had similar, can you still do stuff, i know the next step is an injection if it’s not clearing up, which it isn’t, and so on after that, but until then is it doomed to just use the mountain bike to commute or go down the shops 😂

Andy_Sweet
    Free Member

I had the same a few years back. Patience, stretching, good physio, ibuprofen and more patience. It will get better but takes time. I think i was off the bike for approximately three months and then another three months to get back to something approaching normal. The doc did prescribe tablets to calm down the nerve stuff. Not sure I’d take them again, don’t think they helped much.

argee

Yeah, i’ve been on naproxen (and Omeprazole) and Amitriptyline for a couple of weeks now, stretches are a killer though, any of the neck ones just hurt the whole way through, it’s annoying though, worse pain than when i smashed up my clavicle and (other) shoulder a few years back

Prophet2
    Free Member

I trapped a nerve in my neckn in Feb. It was agony and I couldn’t work for 4 weeks. Zwifting was ok as it didn’t cause any additional pain. Outside biking took a couple of months and then it was a very slow build up over spring and summer. Returning to running was more straightforward but again it was a slow build up.

I had physio, did my stretches and was patient. I was also on some strong painkillers for weeks, it was a releief to stop taking them.

Even now months later I still have to move my head to “unclick” my neck several times a day.

Worth getting a MRI if you can, juat to make sure it is a trapped nerve.

Good luck with the recovery.

andy4d

All that worked for me was acupuncture. I was initially sceptical but was amazed how well it worked for my neck/back issues ( took 4 or 5 sessions).

vlad_the_invader

Hi
    I’m just recovering from exactly the same.
    What you need is a physio who is trained in IMS (aka dry needling which is not the same acupuncture). The treatment itself can be somewhat painful but, bloody hell, it work quickly (by releasing tight muscles which trap the nerves).

I’ve had IMS multiple times in various places in my upper and lower back, shoulder and neck (I really should spend more time of improving my posture and all round strength 🙄)

Edit: a good physio will also give you appropriate gentle stretching and strengthening exercises for you specific injury as well

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.