Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Pinch to zoom forum
  • Stoner
    Free Member

Got a new phone and while running chrome browser as before, for some reason I can no longer pinch to zoom forum posts. I can’t find any setting to change that. Am I looking in the wrong place, and is it something turned off by stw Web builders and if so, why?

scotroutes

It was turned off but can be overridden by Chrome.

Settings
    Accessibility
    Force enable zoom

Drac

Can you force a none mobile version to load?

Ah Scotroutes has it.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    scotroutes

Drac – Moderator
    Can you force a none mobile version to load?

You can “Request Desktop Site”

perchypanther
    Free Member

Have you tried using your other hand?

You know,……. the one with all the fingers on it?

whitestone
    Free Member

There’s a long thread about this, probably a month or two since it was active though. Basically the site is now “responsive”, which means the code knows how big a screen you are viewing it on and formats it according to a set of rules. This should (if done correctly) negate the need for pinch to zoom as the text in the posts should be the correct size to view.

Pinch to zoom is needed on sites that aren’t responsive as the site will be optimised for a desktop where there’s lots of space but when viewed on a tablet or mobile everything is scaled down and the text is illegible.

Stoner
    Free Member

Thanks onion. I knew it was in there somewhere.

Now even with half a finger I can zoom in. And flick deficient vees at perchy…

perchypanther
    Free Member

😆

Stoner
    Free Member

It’s not the text size at issue but the ability to zoom embedded images. Rather presumptuous of the site to assume that only the text matters

bikebouy
    Free Member

Yerbut..

Licking the screen with your tongue on Perchys threads is perverse…

Innit.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

There’s a long thread about this, probably a month or two since it was active though. Basically the site is now “responsive”, which means the code knows how big a screen you are viewing it on and formats it according to a set of rules. This should (if done correctly) negate the need for pinch to zoom as the text in the posts should be the correct size to view.

Pinch to zoom is needed on sites that aren’t responsive as the site will be optimised for a desktop where there’s lots of space but when viewed on a tablet or mobile everything is scaled down and the text is illegible.

True but in reality here’s the fixed version:

There’s a long thread about this, probably a month or two since it was active though. Basically the old desktop site worked brilliantly on phones as you just zoomed in to hide the adverts in the margins, you could read the text, and all the buttons worked. But no one clicked on the adverts.

The same worked for having a small browser window in muted colors for browsing at work.

Now it forces you into a mobile viewable format with inline adverts, you can’t see the page numbers, everything takes 3x more clicks (which is a PITA when not on wifi (i.e. not on a PC at home, i.e. in a phone) and the text is illegible.

scotroutes

Progress, innit.

6 months since the trainee was let loose on the site and no sign of any improvement.

footflaps

Pinch to zoom is sooo last year, it’s all about enhancing now…..

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vxq9yj2pVWk[/video]

maccruiskeen

deficient vees

a nervous tick ?

sharkbait
    Free Member
    sharkbait
    Free Member

What phone did you go for Stoner? Did the old Jaiyu keep going or die?

Stoner
    Free Member

a nervous tick

Or the square root of ****all 😉

squirrelking
    Free Member

Yeah, god forbid we actually want to read a whole thread title or navigate beyond the first page in one go. How many extra ad impressions does that make?

</cynic>

Stoner
    Free Member

Started to get a little tired. The aftermarket batteries were degrading too, despite having a fistful of them. But 2yrs of abuse has taken its toll.

2nd day into my new moto e4 plus and so far it’s pretty good. Heavy but solid feeling, mahoosive battery. Same size screen as the s3. Bargin for £150

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Pinch to zoom forum’ is closed to new replies.