Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Pimping your house out to film crews…
  • franksinatra

…anyone else done it? My sister just got £600 for BBC series The Cleaner descending on her house for 3 hours of filming, easy money. Yes, Greg Davies is really, really tall.

What Sunday night crime series features STWers houses?

the-muffin-man

Waaaay back in the day my grandads house was used in Peak Practice. Think he got £400+ per day even back then.

MoreCashThanDash

Literally pimp it out, producers of “special interest” movies often need locations.

You might even get a role as an “extra”

tomhoward

The front of my house was one of the sets of Last of the Summer Wine. We were next door to Cleggy, but no character lived in ours. £75 a day to either be in all day or out all day, early 90’s.

Might explain why I feel so at home here…

finbar
    Free Member

Waaaay back in the day my grandads house was used in Peak Practice. Think he got £400+ per day even back then.

Haha our dining room in Bonsall was in Peak practice, filmed about a month after we moved out :-<

stumpy01

In my parents street, there was a mini-series a few years back for BBC that used a couple of the houses.
    They got paid a bloody fortune for it!

Years ago, I had a school mate who’s house was used for a chase scene in The Professionals.
    They ended up running down their garden to a small brook where they dived on the criminal and ended up in the water.
    My mates Dad was a carpenter and they wanted a weak fence building that they could dive through, so not only did they get paid for use of the house, but they got extra to build this fence that was destroyed as part of the filming.

csb

Lived in a posh street in Edinburgh New Town which often had films made in it. Got paid to have curtains open so as not to spoil the vista, and quite funny arriving back on my bike with filmhands having to stop the carriages and horses clattering around the cobbles.

IdleJon

BBC series The Cleaner descending on her house for 3 hours of filming, easy money. Yes, Greg Davies is really, really tall

I’m really pleased that there’s going to be another series. I enjoyed the first.

Oh, and if Helena Bonham Carter was in the episode filmed in my house then I’d take no payment at all, and possibly cordon the area off after filming had finished!

MrSmith
    Free Member

I have been in loads of location houses, there are plenty of agencies with locations on their books.
    you do have to realise that having crew in your home can be invasive and you will have breakages.
    As a young photo assistant i smashed a glass lampshade that was one of 6 on a rare midcentury piece, was moving a heavy stand and didn’t realise how low the light was.
    also check your insurance as while people shooting will have liability insurance your home insurance may not cover you if something untoward happens.

Stills photography usually less invasive but filming can be full on with a far bigger crew, i think rates are higher for filming, don’t underestimate the power used on the day either especially if it’s hot lights and the doors/windows are open but they want the heating on!

what i found really odd was the multi million pound homes being rented for £600/day? like they need the money? it’s probably more dinner party chat “we had that Jude law in the other day”.

I wouldn’t hire my place out unless it was me shooting or i knew the crew/director/photographer.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I hope she declared it on her tax return

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

There’s a very ordinary looking flat just off Shirley high street that has a plaque next to the door, saying it was used in the 2009 Father Of Girls, starring Ray Whinstone. 😆

leffeboy

I think @mcmoonter might be a bit of a media tart

tthew

I’m really pleased that there’s going to be another series. I enjoyed the first.

Me too.

My house has never been filmed, but did appear (briefly) in a Barclaycard advert riding my mountain bike.

IdleJon

There’s a very ordinary looking flat just off Shirley high street that has a plaque next to the door, saying it was used in the 2009 Father Of Girls, starring Ray Whinstone.

No plaques on the locations around here, but there’s a very scruffy house in the next street that was used in a Peter Sellers film. I watched it recently and it was interesting that they linked up locations in a fairly logical manner.

Whereas, the series Keeping Faith was based down in Laugharne, but the locations were spread through the countryside from there to here, so she’d leave her house and 2 minutes later drive into a farm that’s actually 30 miles away, and next to where I ride my MTB! I couldn’t cope with the jumping around of locations, even knowing it was a fictional place!

johndoh
    Free Member

When we moved into our house it was a proper step back in time 1980s house (an old couple had it from new and hadn’t done single thing with it). As the bank had left loads of furniture behind, I was tempted to pimp it out for a few months before doing anything with it. I kinda wish I had done really.

duncancallum

Where does one sign up for this….

LAT

hallmark filmed a christmas movie in our street a couple of weeks ago. the interior shots were done in the big houses down the road. they covered the place in fake snow and put up Christmas lights and other decorations.

the film is called A Manny For Christmas. look out for it, i guarantee that it will be mediocre at best!

richardkennerley

I couldn’t cope with the jumping around of locations, even knowing it was a fictional place!

This happened in that recent James nesbitt drama on Netflix. Lots of it filmed around Blackpool, but they would literally jump miles and miles from one scene to the next. In a wood somewhere in bolton, then on Blackpool sea front etc. I know it was supposed to be a random made up town, but knowing where the places actually are made it very jarring to watch.

Looking forward to seeing if I can spot where they shot Andor locally. They used a cafe on Cleveleys sea front for something.

pocpoc
    Free Member

This happened in that recent James nesbitt drama on Netflix.

I was just thinking of exactly the same one. A lot of it filmed around that Dream sculpture next to the M62 at Widnes and then over Runcorn Bridge. All while be set in Blackpool.

IdleJon

Looking forward to seeing if I can spot where they shot Andor locally. They used a cafe on Cleveleys sea front for something.

You have now destroyed the illusion. I was hoping they’d filmed it in space. Or at least that weird place called LA. Not Blackpool! 😀

franksinatra

Interesting stuff MrSmith

My sister said it was like the circus arriving. A crew of about 50 or so arrived 7am, completely took over the place within 10mins and left again at 11.30am. She said it was interesting but wouldn’t do it again if they needed upstairs (they took over bedrooms for make up etc).

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I wouldn’t hire my place out unless it was me shooting or i knew the crew/director/photographer.

As a member of the ‘film crew’ side of things I concur …….

Imagine how your house will look ater 30+ people including caterers and trades have set themselves up in for however many days/weeks. It’ll be trashed.

On the upside apparently the owners regularly get top to bottom redecorating and carpets (because they may want to re-decorate for the show and the cost to put it back different to how you had it before is negligible), new kitchens, etc. So if they’re after something niche you can drive a hard bargain.

ayjaydoubleyou

I hope she declared it on her tax return

I think you can currently take 6k/year from a lodger/tennant without paying tax on it.
    I wonder if that still applies if their tennancy is only a few days and they are using it as a place of business…

razorrazoo

There are loads of ‘location houses’ around, especially in the London area.  My wife used to work in magazines focusing on interiors and they were always using them.  As  outlined above expect the requirement to redecorate as required and completely remove all your possessions for whichever parts they need – many location houses are empty or part empty because of this. Having also had several shoots in my house (mostly with other people posing as the homeowner, and the house being located in a different place), it’s a complete pain in the backside if you are expecting to be able to do anything whilst the crew is in.

MoreCashThanDash

hallmark filmed a christmas movie in our street a couple of weeks ago.

I’m guessing local girl falls for tall handsome stranger who turns out to be the heir to the throne of some imaginary European Kingdom….

MrsMC watches WAY too much of that shit as her lazy Sunday afternoon treat

andy5390

Not a house, but a workmate once had his MK1 Cortina on Heartbeat. Got around £700 for 3 days filming, including a walk on/extra part.

LAT

MrsMC watches WAY too much of that shit as her lazy Sunday afternoon treat

tell her to look out for Manny for Christmas. our house has a pair of grannies walking past in one scene

since the filming, most of the female people i’ve mentioned it to have said that they watch hallmark movies. i guess a lot of folk must, or there wouldn’t be an entire channel dedicated to them!

dyna-ti

Filming some holiday thing outside the butchers i was working in. They tied up all the parking spaces and the boss was livid, this being a Saturday our busiest day.

His mood wasnt helped by me hiring my bike out to them, apparently the use it to focus the camera on for the presenter walking along the street. So if you look at soaps, progs etc its not unusual to see a bike or some other object seemingly placed in the shot.

Boss could be unhappy all he wanted, I got 50 quid for the 3 hour loan 😀

toby1

Feel like I already do, the wood panelled place that’s in His Dark materials, Killing eve and also Capture seems to be a regular favourite with the BBC drama club, feels more like home than my own house!

steve-g
    Free Member

Friend of mine had guys filming in his for a few days and said the pay was decent, in the 1000s. Then after they left there were a few ‘we scuffed the wall so we will pay for a full redecorate’ items as well, I think he added it up as 9k total.

matt_outandabout

We missed Ms Bradbury’s Railway Walks filming from our old lounge. The landlord delayed our moving in a week to accommodate them.

IdleJon

Not a house, but a workmate once had his MK1 Cortina on Heartbeat.

His mood wasnt helped by me hiring my bike out to them, apparently the use it to focus the camera on for the presenter walking along the street………….I got 50 quid for the 3 hour loan

Hold on, so when the presenter of Coast and Country did a section on MTBing and borrowed my bike, I should have been charging them? 🙁

Cheapskate ITV Wales. They even asked if he could borrow a helmet. (No, was the answer.)

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

“Hope she declared it on her tax return”

No need. You can earn £7k a year off your own home tax free. We know this as we looked into it for Air BnB purposes. Which is also quite lucrative.

timber

Not my house, but quite a few outdoor locations at work. Quite often we shift kit for them too with no liability for camera gear in a quad trailer.
    Catering is normally pretty good.
    Ended up with about 50kg of chocolate bars after an ad for Cadburys.

They can be a pain to deal with though as they want all the space and the fan visits a bit overwhelming at some sites.

turboferret

The family home of a university friend is Creskeld Hall, a rather nice pile of bricks near Leeds.  It was regularly used for filming Emerdale Farm, and he said the filming paid for the upkeep of the house.  His 21st birthday party, along with his twin brother, held at his house was a decent bash 🙂

rossburton
    Free Member

Whereas, the series Keeping Faith was based down in Laugharne, but the locations were spread through the countryside from there to here, so she’d leave her house and 2 minutes later drive into a farm that’s actually 30 miles away, and next to where I ride my MTB! I couldn’t cope with the jumping around of locations, even knowing it was a fictional place!

Poldark was like this a lot if you have even the vaguest knowledge of Cornwall. Apart from coves near the house being many miles apart, WHY ARE YOU RIDING ALONG THE COAST FROM TRURO TO BODMIN! I know it’s nice to take the scenic route, but that’s *really* scenic.

Bunnyhop

My nephew (in the film industry) does this a lot.
    They like his house as he always has the relevant equipment if the crew have forgotten something. It pays well, but as others have mentioned, accidents can happen, things get broken, decor/furnishings get ruined.
    He has a studio in the garden to retreat to for work and the times when filming over runs or interferes with home life.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.