• This topic has 75 replies, 44 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by pondo.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 78 total)
  • Pilots of STW – help please
  • Kryton57

I need your help.  I’m struggling again, already really stressed about flying to the US – Baltimore – on Saturday yet my anxiety levels have just soared as I listened to the news re Storm Ciara and super viscous Jetstreams.  I’m taking off at 3:30pm Heathrow and it’s supposed to hit 6:30pm onward.   The West/Northerly track will take me right through/past Ciara.

I need to know in all honesty if Ciara or the Jestream issue means I’m in for a rough ride, as I really don’t want  this flight to ruin the family hols later in the year by causing a refusal.

id appreciate your opinion of the issue, I’m stressing big time.

revs1972
    Free Member

Take my kids with you.
    Last time we had some serious turbulence, they shouted “again again” when things calmed down 😂

Kryton57

Unfortunately this isn’t a joke for me, I’m barely functioning right now.

ElShalimo

Before I flew to the US in 2018 I watched this video. I’m not convinced she’s as “cured” as she claims but some of the stuff does help. I think she likes Amigo more than here partner…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nmtx7F1aI9c

FB-ATB

US bound I think the flights go a bit further North to avoid the drag caused by the jet streams.

the00
    Free Member

Is anxiety something that has come up in your therepy? Seems like you are always worried about something. Last week your trigger was worries about Boeing aircraft safety.

If you want to be calmed down, look at how many flights have successfully navigated this weather front since you posted.

hooli

Airlines are massively risk averse. If there was even a small risk from the storm, the airline would re-route the flight or even cancel it.

Easier said than done I know but try to relax and let them do the worrying on your behalf.

Eyepic
    Free Member

Your problem will be wind near the ground..if it is too strong you won’t be aloud to take off.
    Once you are airborne and clear of the first few hundred feet no worries.

I would not get stressed.

pondo

I think much bad weather is radar-visible, and they’ll head for the smooth stuff as much as they can.

franko777

Absolutely no reason to be any more worried regarding the Ciara storm. Weather looks fine on Saturday afternoon when you’re due to leave and then once you’re airborne you’ll probably miss most if not all of the jet stream. The only reason it’s going to cause an issue is because it’s moved south, but there is always a jet stream of some description over the Atlantic.

And to be honest, because it will just cause a long flight time because of the head wind, then I imagine most west-bound flights will be planned fairly far north at the weekend in an attempt to remain on schedule.

timbog160

I used to hate flying, but don’t mind now – in fact I generally enjoy it. I found visualisation to be a big help ie visualising the aircraft successfully completing its journey without drama. Also the realisation that actually modern aircraft are much more robust than most people realise!

Joe

When I first read this thread and the title I assumed that you were flying yourself and your kids to the states in some kind of small aircraft. I thought “that’s cool” and then “don’t trust this guy if he’s asking for advice on this forum about such a big thing.” Then I realised you are just scared of flying.

phil5556

The routes over the ocean change daily based on wind/weather. They try to plan to maximise tail winds / minimise headwinds and avoid weather. You’ll be fine.

Very few planes fall out of the sky due weather, and most of those are when they’re near the ground.

Enjoy your holiday 👍🙂

tonyg2003

Hi. As previously stated the route used by aircraft to the US heads up to near Greenland and down over northern Canada to Baltimore (I was there in October). You shouldn’t have an turbulence issues and even then the weather radar on the planes mostly avoids bad weather. I’ve flow to the US twice last month (sorry Greta) both times as storms were coming in here and had nice smooth flights.

If you get a chance to wander round Baltimore – go have a look at the Liberty bell – it’s iconic but it’s cracked because it was a crap casting!

Greybeard
    Free Member

Turbulence affecting aircraft is typically a result of differing temperature air masses, not wind speed. The jet stream forecasts suggest it will be straight across the Atlantic, but planes fly on the great circle route which goes North of the straight line, so will miss it. I wouldn’t expect your flight to be any different to usual.

Rich_s

If you get a chance to wander round Baltimore – go have a look at the Liberty bell – it’s iconic but it’s cracked because it was a crap casting!

That’s in Philadelphia, innit?

kilo

If you get a chance to wander round Baltimore, don’t.

scotroutes

If you get a chance to wander round Baltimore then you landed safely. Result!

tpbiker
    Free Member

When was the last time that a weather storm took down an aircraft. Seriously, it just does not happen.

I hate flying, refuse to do it for work, and need pills before I go on a plane. But weather wouldn’t bother me at all.

2 things to remember..the pilot doesn’t want to die either.

And..you are infinitely more likely to die in your next xc mtb race..statistically..

tonyg2003

Ha – sorry mis-read. Baltimore! Stick to the harbour area if you are downtown and don’t wander. Detroit-on-sea (and I’ve spent a lot of time in Detroit) was my opinion of Baltimore last time I was there!

Twodogs

you are infinitely more likely to die in your next xc mtb race..statistically..

Now I want to know how many deaths there are in XC racing compared to flying….

Caher

Hi hate flying too but do it so often i just find it uncomfortable. But the odd thing is the flight tends to be smoother in wind storms. I took off in a hurricane once from Philadelphia and felt very little. Tend to get more turbulence in clear days and hot weather.
    As others have said they’ll be hundreds of other planes doing the same route and they’ll land with no issues.

PJM1974
    Free Member

FWIW, one of the main reasons why aviation is statistically so safe is the fact that any avoidable human error is because of the litigious nature of the industry. That’s a good thing, it ensures that air crew understand things like checklists and to be risk averse.

An irrational fear of flying is perfectly okay – there’s some excellent tips from other posters. I agree with the visualization thing, maybe give it a go?

beaker

My Brother flies for a major airline, I’ve sat in the jump seat as we crossed the Atlantic to the US. The mitigation and effort that goes into ensuring a smooth flight is quite something. Before the flight takes off they plan the route carefully and have regular met updates en route (from a tiny fax machine!). The weather radar on board can detect any poor weather and the other aircraft report turbulence and what altitude to climb or descend to. As my brother says, turbulence in an aircraft is just like a pothole in a car. Please be assured (I appreciate this is major for you and don’t want to dismiss your fears out of hand) your flight will go smoothly and you’ll wonder why it was built up so much before hand.

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/ac/2c/34/ac2c348ad9a1552a6034d754c52ca57e.jpg

mikertroid
    Free Member

You’ll be alreet.

I’ve flown to BWI a few times last year and you’ll route north of the jet stream toward Greenland.

The company will aim to avoid significant turbulence too when they plan the route, however sometimes you’ll hit the odd patch of rough air once in a while. The jets are tough and are designed to take a bit of a beating.

If we hit turbulence, we’ll slow down to smooth things out a bit and potentially change level to either get out of the rough air, or give us more lattitude with our critical speeds at lower levels.

Weather radar will pick up moisture which indicates likely turbulence that we can avoid, but can’t see clear air turbulence. The US pilots are OBSESSED with “ride reports” to the point of being annoying, but if it’s lumpy, you’ll get plenty (too much) feedback on the north atlantic common frequency 😣 so we’re well prepared!

Coming back, you’ll route further south to take advantage of the jet stream. I had a 170kt tailwind the other day heading to the middle east. Smooth as a smooth thing.

Crossing jetstreams sometimes is necessary and that can get a bit lumpy as you enter and exit the band of fast moving air; normally fine within.

Enjoy!

scotroutes

I took off in a hurricane once from Philadelphia

Cool.

Shame it has been so overlooked in favour of the more photogenic Spitfire.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Seriously Krypton, you’ll be fine. Flying in the jet stream is commonplace. The turbulence comes from passing through one body of air moving in a direction and at a speed, into another body of air moving in a different direction and a different speed. The air at the interface is stirred up and turbulent. Once the aircraft has passed through this thin layer and into a uniform layer of air all is smooth again. Passengers don’t like turbulence so aircraft will avoid it.

Pigface
    Free Member

The most dangerous aspect of your journey is Baltimore, as said above stick to downtown. Don’t wander about, don’t go West.

mashr

I need to know in all honesty if Ciara or the Jestream issue means I’m in for a rough ride, as I really don’t want this flight to ruin the family hols later in the year by causing a refusal.

I know we’ve been here (many times) before, but short-haul holidays are still available.

midlifecrashes

Take your mind off it by trying to master the Baltimore accent before you set off (a little sweary):

ElShalimo

Also Storm Ciara probably won’t be as severe as predicted when  it finally arrives late on Saturday night.

The Express, Torygraph & Daily Fail spend an awful lot of time creating headlines designed to scare old people into an early grave. They then sit back in an almost post-coital pleasure as they see mortality rates surge. Utter twunts.

I have to go back to the US soon for work and I’m dreading it but in reality is the utter boredom and jetlag which is the true enemy, not the aerodynamics.

Try to visualise your trip, try calming tricks and tips, stay off the booze on the plane, stretch, stay hydrated and talk to the aircrew of you need reassurance.

Kryton57

Thanks for the helpful comments.   Its a work trip, I wouldn’t consider Detroit-on-Sea in February for a holiday.

mashr

Yes, but in your first post you’re already talking about the inevitable Caribbean trip later in the year. Given how far off that is, it’s not good to already be starting to stress

Daffy

Detroit-on-Sea in February for a holiday.

I thought you were going to Baltimore? Are you doing a further flight to Detroit?

lowey

The Aquarium is brillant.

Otherwise its just like the Wire.

You’ll be absolutely fine. The margin of safety they employ is huge.

Kryton57

inevitable Caribbean trip

I’m not going there and didn’t mentioned the Caribbean.  I’m leaving now as the last thing I need is an internet argument

mashr

There is no argument, you said “I really don’t want this flight to ruin the family hols later in the year by causing a refusal” so it’s clearly already playing on your mind.

Cougar

I don’t know if it will help and I’m probably stating the blindingly obvious but,

Can you rationalise it, what is turbulence? You say you’re worried about a “rough ride” but what does that really mean?

The reality is if you hit the worst turbulence you’ve ever known, the plane will jostle about for a few seconds. That’s it. In a worst-case scenario you might spill a bit of your orange juice. Planes falling out of the sky because it’s a bit windy just doesn’t happen, we’ve been doing this for a hundred years and we’ve got quite good at it now.

Phobias aren’t rational I know and I certainly don’t mean to trivialise the fear (I have a couple myself and they’re stupid) but maybe this might help override the irrational side of it a little?

The Express, Torygraph & Daily Fail spend an awful lot of time creating headlines designed to scare old people into an early grave.

The Express in particular is notorious for making up weather reports. Every summer will be the hottest on record, every winter the coldest, they’ve been doing it for years.

Cougar

… or failing that, go see your doctor and take half a Valium before you get on board. My ex was in the same position as you and successfully got a prescription for like two pills rather than a large pack of them.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 78 total)

The topic ‘Pilots of STW – help please’ is closed to new replies.