• This topic has 13 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by bsims.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Pikes Peak
  • Pigface
    Free Member

i believe an electric car has just taken the outright record , that is pretty cool

cchris2lou

Yep , Romain Dumas in a ww .

orangeboy
    Free Member

Be interested to see if the comments about rally cross come true

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Fire spitting S1 or nothing!

Oh, and none of the silky smooth tarmac..

CountZero

Not surprised, really, no gearbox, constant power delivery and oodles of torque, and it’s not that long a run, so a big battery wouldn’t be required, saving more weight.

minley1
    Free Member

bsims
    Free Member

Just like the 208 T16 it’s a marketing exercise, They wanted to win it and told the engineers ” make it happen”. VW need advertising and kudos for their soon to be released electric vehicles.

I find it hard to get excited about this kind of thing, and its 100% tarmac now. Needs sideways action and flames (see climb dance).

Northwind

They had to tarmac it, Vatanen blew all the dirt off the side of the mountain

molgrips
    Free Member

I find it hard to get excited about this kind of thing

I find it quite cool.  It means that people are beginning to push the tech, to spend money normalising it, making it cool, and soon we’ll be driving electric cars with a decent charging network fuelled by renewables, and the world will be a better place.  This is a good thing.

bsims
    Free Member

They had to tarmac it, Vatanen blew all the dirt off the side of the mountain

😀

bsims
    Free Member

find it hard to get excited about this kind of thing

I find it quite cool.  It means that people are beginning to push the tech, to spend money normalising it, making it cool, and soon we’ll be driving electric cars with a decent charging network fuelled by renewables, and the world will be a better place.  This is a good thing.

You are correct, but for their corporate purposes, i prefer the other way around.

mick_r

Electric also doesn’t have the same issues with altitude change as internal combustion.

Also I guess a face saver / marketing push after US dieselgate.

molgrips
    Free Member

You are correct, but for their corporate purposes, i prefer the other way around.

Dunno what you mean?

bsims
    Free Member

Dunno what you mean?

VW have just spent millions maybe tens of millions as a PR exercise. What is applicable for the road will then have to be back engineered. Much of the car will never be relevant to a family hatch. I would prefer they spent the money on developing a road car first and then take that to the Peak and see what they can do with it, refining over the years just like the majority of the competitors.

Call me cynical, but VW and most likely all the car companies were given a standard to meet and they made cars that would pass the test not cars that were more environmentally friendly. From a business point of view I understand. If they made cars that were slower, more thirsty etc… people would not buy them, but they were trusted to meet the spirit of the standards. Other companies used different methods to pass.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Pikes Peak’ is closed to new replies.