Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Pikes not all that good – charger damper bleed?
  • scruff
    Free Member

Had my pikes from new for a few months now, they are OK but not great, have took the lowers off and made sure they had correct oil level in. Still not as good as my old lyrik. Would a bleed of the charger damper be worth trying, would a few air bubbles from the factory affect performance?

LoCo
    Free Member

Have you adjusted the air volume with air tokens? if not worth doing as makes a lot of difference.
    A bleed of the damper is always worth doing & something we do with all forks we sell before they’re dispatched, just to make sure more than anything else.
    Any queries fell free to drop us a mail or call the workshop.
    Cheers Simon.

Northwind

If they’re 26ers then imo they need extra tokens to start with. But I never liked mine as much as my Lyriks- tons lighter obviously but otherwise just not as good imo. Got some 29er ones now, I reckon the base setup is better but if I could get coil mico 29er forks I bloomin would.

LoCo
    Free Member

The number of tokens also relates to the travel the fork is set at, rockshox list stock settings for each wheel size and travel spec.

Northwind

Good point well made- 26er 160mm, mine were.

LoCo
    Free Member

2 tokens ? 😉

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Running two in a 150mm 650b pike

scruff
    Free Member

650b 2015 fork. Yes have two tokens in, putting those in improved it a bit as I used lower pressure for same sag.

LoCo
    Free Member

The damper can be tuned to get better performance out of it too, plus a few other little internal tweaks to improve how they function.

scruff
    Free Member

Cheers Si, will try a damper bleed. For now.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

I’ve got Northwind’s old Pikes and spent a lot of time being not entirely happy with them too. (also comparing them to coil Lyrics!)

Finally bit the bullet and sent them off to TF for a custom tune and it’s completely transformed them. Much more supple, much more controlled, much more supportive. Almost like a different fork!

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

How funny I was on the phone talking to Si about this, probably as he was writing here!

The upshot seems to be that the factory tune is a bit off.

Northwind

@Jon, every time you post I dread that there was going to have been something wrong with them and it turns out I’m just a fanny 😆 But yeah, that’s exactly what it felt like- good parts let down by the tune.

hainman
    Free Member

Why do the pikes sit in the travel slightly??mine are 160 but I can pull the crown and fork arch and they pop up but slip back down again.maybe 5-10mm

LoCo
    Free Member

A blocked air transfer port perhaps, they will loose a small amount of travel when the negative chamber pressurizes although 10mm is excessive

hainman
    Free Member

@Loco how do I go about fixing it??would letting all the air out Solve it??

LoCo
    Free Member

Best bet is to carry out a lower service and remove the air spring system and clean transfer port out at same time as removing some of grease (if excessive amount in there)

hainman
    Free Member

Cheers mate.Is the port easy to spot??not long done lowers service when swapped the air shaft from 150-160.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

It’s a tiny divot. Possible to lose it in a ring of grease.

LoCo
    Free Member

Around the size of a grain of rice about 1 inch up from the bottom of the air leg stantion.

hainman
    Free Member

Damn.does that mean I need to faff about for an hour trying to get that u clip off to get the air shaft out 🙁

dirtydog
    Free Member

Can also be caused by vacuum in lowers.

Serviced them recently, reassembled whilst stanchions compressed?

hainman
    Free Member

Dirtydog ye I done lower leg when swapped the air shaft.compressed the lowers as per the video I was following for service and air shaft swap

ndthornton
    Free Member

Dirtydog ye I done lower leg when swapped the air shaft.compressed the lowers as per the video I was following for service and air shaft swap

In this case you definitely have a vacuum in the lower legs. I have just been around this loop myself. you need to reassemble with the air shaft fully extended. If they are already assembled slide a small cable tie down the side of the dust seal on both legs. Wait for the hiss and watch your forks come back to the correct travel.

kimbers

Replacing all grease in the leg with 5ml float fluid makes a big improvement ime , but u have to get that circlip off 1st, not that hard tho

dirtydog
    Free Member

That will be the issue,video should be removed.

In this case you definitely have a vacuum in the lower legs. I have just been around this loop myself. you need to reassemble with the air shaft fully extended. If they are already assembled slide a small cable tie down the side of the dust seal on both legs. Wait for the hiss and watch your forks come back to the correct travel.

This^, always reassemble with air shafts fully extended!

hainman
    Free Member

Cheers guys.I done the tie strap trip.Heard a wee hiss when I put it in but didn’t see much travel return.Turns out the Machanic in Dales in Glasgow will service my forks Plus do the Damper charger for £30.would cost me about that in oils and grease(SRAM butter) so I’m going to take him up on his offer,Usually £100 quid,plus it saves me the time and faffing around

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Pikes not all that good – charger damper bleed?’ is closed to new replies.