Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Pike vs lyrik?
  • Premier Icon Shackleton

For a given travel (150mm) and the same damper (ultimate series charger 2.1) is there any reason to choose the pike over the lyrik? 200g weight saving and slightly cheaper? Anything else? Struggling to see why I should consider the pike.

Premier Icon mboy
    Free Member

You’ve already hit the nail on the head… It’s lighter and cheaper. That’s it.

Premier Icon Shackleton

Fair enough! Given your background I imagine you know best!

Premier Icon chakaping

Depends what you plan to do with it and how hefty you are.

Premier Icon Shackleton

Scottish mountain trail biking with Dunkeld “enduro” pretensions while weighing 14.5st wearing nothing but a smile (I put more on to bike obvs, not riding in bare feet).

Also alpine stuff and local homebrew DH.

Premier Icon chakaping

Deffo lyrik then I’d say.

I’d consider a pike at that length if it were on a 120mm frame or a hardtail, but I’m a couple of stone lighter anyway.

The new lyriks are bloody great btw.

Premier Icon dynastar
    Free Member

Personally I’d go lyric torsionally stiffer and you’ll notice the difference in stability in the chunk (my own experience).

Premier Icon bigyan
    Free Member

Do you plan to change the travel in the future? Pike is 110-160mm, Lyrik is 150-180mm. Lyrik is stiffer, Pike is lighter.

Personally I would go for the Lyrik as the 200g weight would not be an issue to me, I would prefer the stiffer option and the longer travel options for the future.

Premier Icon Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Lyrik on my last bike was better in every way to my current Pike.

Premier Icon endomick
    Free Member

For your weight I’d say lyrik, I used to think a lyrik in shorter travel version was overkill. But alpine n dh outings suggest it, also upping to 160mm or a least get a spare debonair shaft in 160mm + for the more adventurous stuff.

Premier Icon Shackleton

Suspicions confirmed. Thanks all!

Happy Christmas.

Premier Icon jabbi
    Free Member

You can drop a Lyrik to 120/130/140mm using a Yari airshaft, the part no’s for the 150-180mm shafts are identical between the Yari/Lyrik. I’m running mine at 130mm at the moment.
    https://flic.kr/p/2hLRs3e
    Any excuse! I love this bike!

Premier Icon thegeneralist
    Free Member

Can you shorten/lengthen any rockshox?
    Would like to have a bit more travel on my Anthem

Premier Icon chiefgrooveguru
    Free Member

“Can you shorten/lengthen any rockshox?
    Would like to have a bit more travel on my Anthem”

Yes, within reason. What’s on your Anthem?

Premier Icon jabbi
    Free Member

@thegeneralist, It depends on the model and age of fork. My mate recently tried to de-evo his Epic and couldn’t go lower than the 120mm it came with in the Reba fitted to the bike. Older forks can sometimes be changed with spacers on the airshaft, newer ones require a new airshaft due to the position of the the negative air transfer port in the stanchion.
    What fork is it, that you’d like to lengthen?

Free Member

Thanks both.
    It’s this bike I’ve got
    https://www.giant-bicycles.com/gb/bikes-anthem-advanced-29-2018
    Which appears to have SIDs. 100mm travel methinks.

Any ideas?

Premier Icon jjprestidge
    Free Member

You should be able to change travel with a new air shaft – I think they go up to 120mm with the SID. It’s a pretty easy job on Lyriks, so I can’t imagine it would be any harder on your forks.

JP

Free Member

https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/rockshox-sid-reba-solo-air-shaft-27.5-120mm-29-120mm-593200

Like dat I guess. Splendid. Will have a think

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.