Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Pike vs lyrik?
  • Shackleton

For a given travel (150mm) and the same damper (ultimate series charger 2.1) is there any reason to choose the pike over the lyrik? 200g weight saving and slightly cheaper? Anything else? Struggling to see why I should consider the pike.

mboy
    Free Member

You’ve already hit the nail on the head… It’s lighter and cheaper. That’s it.

Shackleton

Fair enough! Given your background I imagine you know best!

chakaping
    Free Member

Depends what you plan to do with it and how hefty you are.

Shackleton

Scottish mountain trail biking with Dunkeld “enduro” pretensions while weighing 14.5st wearing nothing but a smile (I put more on to bike obvs, not riding in bare feet).

Also alpine stuff and local homebrew DH.

chakaping
    Free Member

Deffo lyrik then I’d say.

I’d consider a pike at that length if it were on a 120mm frame or a hardtail, but I’m a couple of stone lighter anyway.

The new lyriks are bloody great btw.

dynastar
    Free Member

Personally I’d go lyric torsionally stiffer and you’ll notice the difference in stability in the chunk (my own experience).

bigyan
    Free Member

Do you plan to change the travel in the future? Pike is 110-160mm, Lyrik is 150-180mm. Lyrik is stiffer, Pike is lighter.

Personally I would go for the Lyrik as the 200g weight would not be an issue to me, I would prefer the stiffer option and the longer travel options for the future.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Lyrik on my last bike was better in every way to my current Pike.

endomick
    Free Member

For your weight I’d say lyrik, I used to think a lyrik in shorter travel version was overkill. But alpine n dh outings suggest it, also upping to 160mm or a least get a spare debonair shaft in 160mm + for the more adventurous stuff.

Shackleton

Suspicions confirmed. Thanks all!

Happy Christmas.

jabbi
    Free Member

You can drop a Lyrik to 120/130/140mm using a Yari airshaft, the part no’s for the 150-180mm shafts are identical between the Yari/Lyrik. I’m running mine at 130mm at the moment.
    https://flic.kr/p/2hLRs3e
    Any excuse! I love this bike!

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Can you shorten/lengthen any rockshox?
    Would like to have a bit more travel on my Anthem

chiefgrooveguru

“Can you shorten/lengthen any rockshox?
    Would like to have a bit more travel on my Anthem”

Yes, within reason. What’s on your Anthem?

jabbi
    Free Member

@thegeneralist, It depends on the model and age of fork. My mate recently tried to de-evo his Epic and couldn’t go lower than the 120mm it came with in the Reba fitted to the bike. Older forks can sometimes be changed with spacers on the airshaft, newer ones require a new airshaft due to the position of the the negative air transfer port in the stanchion.
    What fork is it, that you’d like to lengthen?

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Thanks both.
    It’s this bike I’ve got
    https://www.giant-bicycles.com/gb/bikes-anthem-advanced-29-2018
    Which appears to have SIDs. 100mm travel methinks.

Any ideas?

jjprestidge
    Free Member

You should be able to change travel with a new air shaft – I think they go up to 120mm with the SID. It’s a pretty easy job on Lyriks, so I can’t imagine it would be any harder on your forks.

JP

thegeneralist
    Free Member
    alanclarke

Hope OK to continue old thread – Pike or Lyrik is a perennial question, which I am now asking.

I have a 2014 140mm Pike on my hardtail which I am thinking of upgrading/replacing. When new it was the best fork ever, but couple of years ago I got a full sus with 150mm Lyrik and it felt noticeably better than the Pike – but never sure if that was bike or fork.

Now I’ve updated the Lyrik to 2021 air shaft, with a 140mm option, and tried on the hardtail it is defintitely smoother and more controlled through rough stuff. Question is, would a 2021 Pike be pretty much as good, noting that it is cheaper and lighter than Lyrik, and is issue with my old Pike that it is old (and too old for 2021 airshaft), with Mk1 damper, or is there a significant difference between current models in terms of air spring progression or damping or responsiveness due to stiffness?

I’m not especially heavy btw, favour higher air pressure vs smooth ride with frequent bottoming out

poah
    Free Member

comparing a new fork to an old fork in terms of suspension action isn’t very valid. Even if you swap airshafts it isn’t truly valid because you’ve effectively serviced the fork.

The lyric is stiffer than a pike but the pike isn’t a noodle fork either.

When I was replacing my mattoc fork earlier in the year I considered the pike, lyric and mezzer. I discounted the pike because I wanted to be able to change the travel above 160 for future bikes. The lyric wasn’t much more than the mezzer but went with the mezzer for the airspring, damper and HBO (also you can change travel by spacers).

chakaping
    Free Member

I have a 2014 140mm Pike on my hardtail which I am thinking of upgrading/replacing.

I think if you needed a lyrik on a hardtail you would already know.

So if you’re not a hefty unit and you don’t ride extra hard, then a Pike is very likely the best option.

fooman

Given the same spec components and the same travel setting the only differences are air volume, bushing overlap and weight, all due to longer stanchion, is that pretty much it?

This is relevant to my interests as I have a choice of used Lyrik vs new Pike on my next build.

alanclarke

I guess different air volumes due to longer stanchion are obvious difference. I think Lyrik has larger negative air volume, and will have larger main volume. So at same travel Lyrik should be more supple at start and then more linear.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Pike vs lyrik?’ is closed to new replies.