Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Pike RC v. RTC3
  • Rickos
    Free Member

What’s the difference between the Pike RC and the RTC3 other than the open/trail/locked dial? If I generally leave my forks fully open is there any other reason to get the RTC3 over the RC? Like better rebound damping or something…

Ta!

Onzadog
    Free Member

Good question.

scottfitz
    Free Member

open/trail/locked dial

is the only difference as far as I know.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    thegiantbiker
    Free Member

I’ve got a Pike RC, and the compression dial has a number of clicks as opposed to just 3 positions. I think everything else is the same. I’ve been happy climbing with it in the same position as descending (3 clicks clockwise) as it seems to stay fairly high up and not bob when moving slowly.

You said you usually just leave them open, so unless there is some secret difference nobody’s told me about, you might as well go for the RC.

AlexSimon

There was a thread here examining whether it had the same damper. The consensus seemed to be that it did.
    The thread was about a bargain RC from either Merlin or one of the german sites. Merlin I think.

Rickos
    Free Member

You said you usually just leave them open, so unless there is some secret difference nobody’s told me about, you might as well go for the RC.

Indeed. There’s more than £100 difference in price, so it makes sense. Are people just a bit snobby about the RTC3 then?

andymc06
    Free Member

It was Alltricks – a French site.

scottfitz
    Free Member

AlexSimon

Indeed. There’s more than £100 difference in price, so it makes sense. Are people just a bit snobby about the RTC3 then?

I think it was more fear. The problem is the RC isn’t supposed to be available aftermarket, so the specs aren’t even on the Rock Shox website.
    People were worried that it might not have the same damper.

butterbean
    Free Member

RC is OE only, so they are only about when someone is dumping stock.

AlexSimon

andymc06 – Member

It was Alltricks – a French site.
    It was probably both – here’s the Merlin one:

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/psa-2014-pikes-for-399-merlin

Rickos
    Free Member

This product is installed on bicycles as original equipment only, it is not sold separately. See your dealer for details.

https://www.sram.com/rockshox/products/pike-rc

Also says retail availability June 2015… All other spec details are the same as RTC3 but with low speed compression dial as described above.
    June 2015 seems a little odd though.

Superficial
    Free Member

I’m sure in the past, RockShox have had different spec for their OEM forks, depending on where they’re going. So just because some Pike RCs have a decent damper, doesn’t mean they all necessarily will. I have no evidence that they’ve done this for any current forks, though. As with any grey-ish product, it’s reasonable to be cautious.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Alltricks worked out at £300.

The other difference with theirs is the finish is gloss with sticker decals instead of matt finish on the RCT3. I’m sure I’ve seen RCs with the matt finish though.

Not seen any evidence that the damper is different aside from the dial.

AlexSimon

People have opened them up though.
    It seems nobody has found a Pike without the Charger damper yet.

butterbean
    Free Member

I’m sure in the past, RockShox have had different spec for their OEM forks, depending on where they’re going. So just because some Pike RCs have a decent damper, doesn’t mean they all necessarily will. I have no evidence that they’ve done this for any current forks, though. As with any grey-ish product, it’s reasonable to be cautious.

They have, and they still do – it depends on the size of the order, and the customer.

Part of the fun though, the lottery of not knowing what you’re actually buying, right?

Superficial
    Free Member

Well, it certainly makes it more of a risk so favours the brave. I suppose you could always have a look inside and send them back if they’re not charger’d.

wl
    Free Member

I bought some of the RCs from that French site – they’re a gloss finish but the damper is Charger (says on the dial). When I looked into it before buying (including ringing the importer), it seemed like there’s no difference at all in damper spec/performance, just the lack of a 3-stage switch, which I’m not bothered about at all. Cost was £325 in 26″ 150mm.

happybiker
    Free Member

Those that bought the 150mm 29er fork from alltricks, what offset did you get? I’ve emailed them but had no response.

tom85_4
    Free Member

I bought my 26′ 150mm Pikes from all tricks for £315 delivered – they have the Charger Damper.

lex
    Free Member

I bought the French RC ones.

Rode them in Morzine down a mountain. I still have all my teeth.

Good enough for me.

Swayndo
    Free Member

Happybiker, I got a 51mm offset Pike from Alltricks … I bought the 140mm RC3 tho. Happy with what I got.

wl
    Free Member

tom85 – you happy with yours? I haven’t put mine on yet. What bike did they go on? Ta.

happybiker
    Free Member

Swayndo, I would actually prefer the 140 but they are sold out of the RC model. Going to the Alps in a couple of weeks so the extra travel won’t hurt. Will reduce them to 130 eventually.

Entonox
    Free Member

RC owners – can you tell me how many clicks of LSC you have from fully open to locked? Is the adjustment fine or coarse?

I have the RCT3 and never use the Open/Pedal/Lock but I do like how you can fine-tune the LSC. There’s 13 clicks and the difference from min to max is subtle compared to other forks I’ve had.

I fancy pair for the hardtail and don’t know whether to go for the RCs or not.

tom85_4
    Free Member

wl – Yes i am happy with the forks, they replaced Revelations on my 2013 Stumpy EVO.

Only had a couple of outings on them and they feel very smooth, stiff front end and sit high in there travel when climbing.

No tokens, 55 PSI and 4 clicks of rebound from slow. 2 clicks of compression.

deadkenny
    Free Member

The new Pikes by definition are based on the Charger damper. I don’t know where the idea has been coming from that the RC doesn’t have the damper, but have heard this from numerous sources. Spec says Charger, people have opened them up and there it is.

https://www.sram.com/rockshox/products/pike-rc

“DAMPING Charger Damper”

To be honest, if I went to an authorised dealer and they had both RC and RCT3 on offer, I’d pick RC because I’m not a fan of presets for daft stuff like climb modes.

wl
    Free Member

Tom – cheers, sounds perfect. Sticking mine on a Five, also replacing Revs. Looking forward to getting them on.

jairaj

Good to see the Rockshox website now lists the Pike RC. Under the technologies section the RC seems to have all the bells and whistles the RCT3 version has so I guess its just the lack of pedal setting.

Also under the Charger Damper page the Pike RC is also listed. Previously only Pike RCT3 was listed.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Pike RC v. RTC3’ is closed to new replies.