Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Pike…Missing foam rings…maybe
  • ndthornton
    Free Member

On Saturday I opened up.my rockshox pike select+ forks to clean and increase travel from 150 to 160. On putting them back together I realised the foam rings were missing from behind the dust seals. I have ordered some replacements but I just wanted to check that this isn’t some new fangled seal system from rockshox? I.e. the rings definately ought to be there? There is definately a ring sized gap there still.

kimbers

You should definitely have them

Were they s/h ?

joebristol

Pretty sure they should be there – my 2021 lyriks definitely have them

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    stevextc
    Free Member

Yes they should be …

I have ordered some replacements

You can get a pack of 20 for about the same price and also set of 20 or so crush washers.
    I find cleaning them is never a good option and if anything costs more in isopropyl than the cost of the foam rings. If you change oil frequently you can get several to a wiper seal…

GeForceJunky

Any links for bulk buying foam rings?

stevextc
    Free Member

I usually do eBay… they are after all just foam rings that hold oil…

I just looked and didn’t see the “usual” (pre-covid??) ones.. plenty of 2 packs but not 20x… (which is only 10 changes)

Speeder

Can you fit them retrospectively then Steviextc? I bought a set of Enduro seals for my old Boxxers a while back and only realised that there were no foam rings in the set when I came to fit them many months later. I bunged them in without and just put a bit of lube oil in the gap they would have inhabited. Not sure it’s worth adding them for the amount of use it gets (first ride in 3 years yesterday) but interesting to know it could be done.

ndthornton
    Free Member

They were second hand but look nearly new. They hand had the travel adjusted previously. I’m guessing that’s when they got lost.

speeder

you can definitely add them retrospective… that’s what I intend to do

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

It used to be a fairly common modification to ommit them and just pack the space between the seals with suspension grease?

stevextc
    Free Member

Can you fit them retrospectively then Steviextc?

Yeah new ones are easy… more a knack than anything. Push a little past the gap then just ease back into them.
    When you clean and reuse them them they seem loose some of their spongyness/springyness and it gets tricker to stop them falling inside.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.