Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Pike lowering (27.5) to 110mm?
  • stevextc
    Free Member

Given I might have a spare set of 27.5 A1 Pikes and a DJ frame I’m wondering what would happen if I put a 26″ 100mm airshaft in?

Can’t see why not and it would be 110mm ???

teethgrinder

You’d have a Pike at 90mm. I think. The A1 air shafts are 10mm longer at 26″ than 27.5″.

stevextc
    Free Member

The A1 air shafts are 10mm longer at 26″ than 27.5″.

Ah, true… me being daft but now see I can get a 26″ 120mm Debonaire which would give me 110mm which seems acceptable and wondering if I take off the footnut if that would drop it another 10mm?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    cx_monkey

yep – what teethgrinder said. I’ve cut and rethreaded a few airshafts tho. Easier if you’re starting from an airshaft that’s close to the length you want to get too. And also very cheap to replace if you screw it completely!

cx_monkey

cutting by 10mm will be easy – the thread inside the shaft is about 30mm, so you’ll be able to finish it up and clean out easily. I would say thatere’ll be enough thread left to hold the foot bolt securely, but also as there’s a bunch of thread already in there, it’dd be dead easy to cut the additional 10mm

stevextc
    Free Member

cutting by 10mm will be easy – the thread inside the shaft is about 30mm, so you’ll be able to finish it up and clean out easily. I would say thatere’ll be enough thread left to hold the foot bolt securely, but also as there’s a bunch of thread already in there, it’dd be dead easy to cut the additional 10mm

Cool… was thinking that but how smooth does the end need to be?
    Wondered if I could cut 10mm off the top so less worry?

cx_monkey

dont see why not – but you’ll still have to rethread that end to thread the air piston seal head retaining bolt into. Regardless of which end you trim, neither has to be particularly smooth as neither of them passes through a seal in use. But thinking about it, perhaps it is better to do the top one so that you don’t run any risk of damaging the bottom seal when you put the rod through when rebuilding…

stevextc
    Free Member

I got a shaft in parts in the shed (took the Luftkappa off) so I’ll take a look.
    This is assuming I get the pike’s to be spare but it will happen sooner or later.

Not really fussed about small bump on the DJ so I’ll stick a old style top seal on I reckon.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Pike lowering (27.5) to 110mm?’ is closed to new replies.