Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Pike goes Pop – what now?
  • Superficial
    Free Member

So my Pikes (2015 RCT3, Non Boost) have been ‘funny’ for some time, ramping up and failing to get full travel. Anyway, today I decided to have a look. So I let all the air out and I could only get about 2/3rds travel – It felt like hydro locking. So I gave them a good shove and there was a loud pop. And lo, they felt good again. Smooth, full travel, all good. After a while though, the magic fix failed and the rebound damping went awol. They top out badly.

TLDR: My charger damper went pop and needs fixing.

Should I pay for a service (£95 from J-Tech + undisclosed amount when they find the damage) or should I just buy a new damper unit (£££)? They don’t need a lowers service at the moment and I’m happy to DIY most stuff, but this is beyond my skillz to do alone.

poah
    Free Member

is it the bladder that has gone pop?

Superficial
    Free Member

Dunno.

My guess is no because the damping was working for a bit after the pop. But I haven’t taken it all apart yet.

jamesoz

Does sound like the same symptoms as my 2015 Pikes when the bladder leaked. Drop the lowers and see if the leg is full of damper fluid.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Could if be the seal head issue…or is that too old an issue for 2015 model Pikes? Mine were 2014 model Pikes and mine suffered this, symptom was they lost damping altogether, oil leaking into the lowers and a nice squelchy sound as I cycled the suspension from fully compressed to fully extended with the air out of the spring.

Onzadog
    Free Member

It’s not too difficult to DIY if you’re that way inclined. The YouTube video from SRAM is pretty comprehensive.

Bleed kit from epic and some oil from maxima plus a seal/service kit and you’re away.

jamj1974

I’d service myself.  Can’t see that you’d get a decent pair of forks for the cost of the service + repair.

fizik
    Free Member

I had similar issues although no pop. 2015 pikes. Suspected seal head but found to be a crack in the bottom of the charger damper body. Luckily was replaced under warranty

Superficial
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies so far.

So I’ve taken them apart and the right leg emptied a lot of oil – so I guess maybe the bladder has gone?

Can the parts of the damper be fixed individually? Reckon I should send it somewhere? Any suggestions?

poah
    Free Member

any decent servicing place will be able to replace the damper or seal head.  send it in for a service and get them to tune it while its apart.

jamj1974

You mentioned a service by J-Tech.  They have been excellent in my experience and I’m sure James will only replace what’s necessary – if you go down that route.

glenh
    Free Member

Go to SRAMs website and download the service guide for the charger damper and the spare parts catalog – you can get any part numbers from there and source them on the web.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

They don’t need a lowers service at the moment

Bet you they do.

If you’ve got lots of oil in the right lower, your damper seal head has gone. Pretty easy fix.

Superficial
    Free Member

Mini update: spoke to j tech. They’ll do the seal head as part of the full service (£95). If the bladder needs replacement then it’s an extra tenner. I’m gonna book them in for next week.

PS. I did a lowers service in the last 3 rides /6hrs of riding.

jamesoz

Is it possible you overfilled the lower? Iirc the seal head can Injest the excess causing the bladder to go pop.

The service kit comes with the bladder doesn’t it?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Pike goes Pop – what now?’ is closed to new replies.