Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Pike Coil U- Turn Knack’d – Help Needed
  • doug_basqueMTB.com

I’ve got a problem with my pike coils. The travel is stuck down in the 95mm position. When I turn the u-turn adjuster I can feel it turning as normal but the fork doesn’t move and every turn or so I get a loud ‘ping’.

I’ve got clients at the moment but was thinking of opening it up tomorrow morning and trying to fix it. I can ride it at the moment though and I’m not struggling to keep up on the DH’s. I don’t want to make things worse by trying to fix it. I’ve got a couple of other bikes I can use if it came to it though.

So anyone had a similar problem. Or anyone familiar enough with the insides to guess what I’m going to find when I open it up.

Any help would be fantastic!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

The u turn is very simple as is stripping the fork. Open it up and have a look. Something will be jammed

benjag
    Free Member

The travel adjuster is like a screw thread plastic part inside the coil spring. I guess you have broken that bit somehow.

stevomcd
    Free Member

Yeah, you’ve broken the spring off the adjuster. Had this happen (exactly the same symptoms) on an old set of Psylos. Quickest fix is probably to buy a new spring.

doug_basqueMTB.com

This place is great isn’t it. Less than a minute and the problems diagnosed and a fix suggested!

Broken though, I was hoping for a minor problem 🙁 Just ordered a pile of stuff of CRC too! So I’ll probably need a new spring, do you reckon I’d be able to get it to adjust to full travel again and stick there?

bagpuss
    Free Member

When you unscrew the top watch out for the three small ball bearings and three small springs that go with them. They will probably make a break for freedom and are b’stids to find…

doug_basqueMTB.com

Cheers bagpuss! I’ve had that bit off quite a bit because it seems to need regular greasing. They’re keen to be free right enough!

benjag
    Free Member

I’ve got a std spring going spare (think it’s a firm?)

doug_basqueMTB.com

Cheers benjag. I’ve got a standard spring in there. I actually thought that I needed a firmer spring so I might take this as an opportunity to go for something firmer. Thanks though.

Del

bought my new ( firm ) spring from tftuned and it turned up pretty quick. have a look at their site, as they have a line for advice, and they’ll happily advise on best way to fix and if a firmer spring is warranted, and they also have a guide on how to change the spring.
    are you bottoming the fork out regularly?
    you’ll want some 15wt fork oil, if you do change or remove the spring, which you can buy from a motorbike shop for cheap.

doug_basqueMTB.com

cheers to everyone for the advice. I’ll open it up and check it out this morning. Yeah, bottoming the fork out a bit so hence the stiffer springs thoughts.

doug_basqueMTB.com

UPDATE: Just for anyone who’s interested or who ever gets anything similar. Opened up the pikes and the spring’s snapped clean through. It fits over a metal bit that is attached to the 24mm ‘bolt’ under the travel adjust knob and it broke just where the spring drops off that. Spoke to a man who knows and he says it’s not common but it does happen. I’m a bit heavy for the spring anyway so a new, stiffer spring is ordered.

Gordymac
    Free Member

Fat bloater 😆

doug_basqueMTB.com

Alright Gordy! Aye, Tim Flooks did that garage / Jaws thing when I told him my weight, you know, an intake of breath through the teeth and “I think you’re gonna need a bigger spring!” Ah well.

Gordymac
    Free Member

Nice one, things going good out there?

doug_basqueMTB.com

Yeah, things are good out here. Been a busy couple of weeks with groups which will help pay for the things I’m breaking! Hope things are good with you too. Good work on your 10 under the ben result by the way!

Gordymac
    Free Member

Thank you, delighted about that one, there was some good competition and the heat was incredible for racing in yet again!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Pike Coil U- Turn Knack’d – Help Needed’ is closed to new replies.