Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Pike 29er RCT3 travel change down to 100mm
  • flanagaj
    Free Member

I was told that a 120mm 27.5 pike rct3 air shaft can be used to reduce a 140mm 29er pike to 100mm travel. I have the air shaft and am planning of doing the switch tomorrow, but I just wanted to ask whether I need to add further bottomless tokens?

Thanks

momo

RS have a chart for bottomless tokens – here – which shows minimum travel as 120mm for all sizes of pike.

flanagaj
    Free Member

RS have a chart for bottomless tokens – here – which shows minimum travel as 120mm for all sizes of pike.

I was told on here and by TF Tuned that I could take the 29er Pike down to 100mm by using the 120mm 27.5 air shaft. That chart is useful and would suggest I need 4 bottomless tokens.

nickdavies

Afaik that’s physically possible but it’s a bit of a dog of a fork like that – you need basically a load of tokens or ideally the pike DJ top cap to get it to feel right.

I reckon I’d say you’d need 4-6 as a starting point depending on weight, use etc.

Edit: SRAM say the pike dj top cap is equal to 5 tokens, but there’s a firmer compression tune on the damper than usual also.

flanagaj
    Free Member

Afaik that’s physically possible but it’s a bit of a dog of a fork like that – you need basically a load of tokens or ideally the pike DJ top cap to get it to feel right.

I reckon I’d say you’d need 4-6 as a starting point depending on weight, use etc.

Edit: SRAM say the pike dj top cap is equal to 5 tokens, but there’s a firmer compression tune on the damper than usual also.Interesting. Do you reckon I should bin the idea and sell them on? I purchased them off ebay and if they are going to feel really rubbish (I am swapping out Float 32s) then I’d rather have a rethink.

Only reason I am reducing the travel from 140mm to 100mm is that the frame geometry is based around a 100mm travel one.

STATO
    Free Member

Interesting, i though 120mm was the limit due to some internal restriction. Good to know they can go down to 100mm. I think they should be fine flan*, just need to play with spacers and pressures as usual.

st

If it’s physically possible then just give it a go.

It’s a straightforward and reversible job. I did a swap recently and if I’d had the right knack to refit the circlip would have been 15 minutes start to finish.

Make the change and try the forks, if they are crap then reverse the swap and sell them.

flanagaj
    Free Member

Thought I would post an update on this as Google does not throw up many results. I can confirm that you can run 29er Pikes RCT3 at 100mm travel. They seem to run fine, just need to figure out the best tuning and how many spacers to run.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Pike 29er RCT3 travel change down to 100mm’ is closed to new replies.