Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Pike '08 damper upgrade or fix?
  • stmachreth
    Free Member

Hi,
    The motion control damper on my old (new for me) Pikes leaks out the top. From seeing others have the same issue, then taking the infernal contraption apart to see for myself, I believe it to be the ‘umbrella’ seal at the top of the unit.

Can this seal be replaced? It’s not present in the replacement seal kit,annoyingly.

Better still, was there a damper upgrade for the old Pike? I’ve just installed an x-firm spring in it and would really like to update it,seems otherwise to have lots of life left.

Thanks!

teethgrinder

The later MoCo units should fit I think. RCT3 from Revs etc.

stmachreth
    Free Member

I’ll look into that, cheers

stmachreth
    Free Member

Not quite sure what I’m looking for. Could you help me further please??

teethgrinder

I’m fairly sure the 32mm chassis MoCo dampers are pretty much cross-compatible (that’s Mk1 Pike/Revelation/Sektor).

This sort of thing

Or even this sort of thing

mucker

If it’s the double-lipped seal on the mo-co (that’s what went on my Pike)it can be replaced by a big fat o-ring type seal, not sure what the size is but Simon from Lo-Co used to supply them.

stmachreth
    Free Member

Thanks teethgrinder, would these represent an upgrade on the ’08 moco?

Mucker,it’s this http://www.basquemtb.com/repair-leaking-pike-motion-control/ problem, the seal shown in the final photo

teethgrinder

Depends on what you use the Pike for. The MoCo isn’t a bad damper – it’s in the Yari and the new 35mm Revs. It just got progressively upgraded in the 32mm chassis.

I have a Yari on my Spitfire, and TBH, can’t really tell the difference to the Pike I had. Was thinking of modifying it to fit the Yari, but I don’t think it’s worth it. I have an RLT Rev on my BFe and run it at 150mm, and even that seems OK.

I run both with min compression damping though – the LSC is a bit wasted on me and I always forget to open them back up if I lock them on a climb.

stmachreth
    Free Member

Fair enough,when the setup is decent they perform well in tandem with floodgate. I’m mostly riding trails and sadly spend more time going uphill than down, lockout is really useful.

mucker

S’cuse the tardy reply but yes that’s the one. I got a big fat “o” ring from Lo-Co that cured the leaky mo-co.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Pike '08 damper upgrade or fix?’ is closed to new replies.