Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)
  • Pie Barms
  • lucien

In response to this thread what is a pie barm?

binners

A Wigan Kebab

cp

lemonysam
    Free Member

A southern affectation.

zbonty

I did wonder wtf?

Pie in Ciabatta down here surely.

brakes
    Free Member

I could have guessed what it is, but I refuse to acknowledge such a heinous object.
    it’s as bad as a “pie” in a dish with only a top crust, which isn’t a pie, it’s a crime against pie.

M6TTF
    Free Member

southern it certainly aint – our bolton colleagues have raved about it for years. add a slice of cheese for extra oomph

binners

As with most things; don’t knock it til you’ve tried it. The only drawback is that you have to go easy on the gravy

LapSteel
    Free Member

I prefer the Pasty buttie nowadays……not Cornish ones though, that would be daft

warton
    Free Member

it’s as bad as a “pie” in a dish with only a top crust, which isn’t a pie, it’s a crime against pie.

last time i ordered pie in a restaurant, I got a stew, with a oblong piece of puff pastry stuck on it. the pastry was blatantly cooked separately to the meat.

I sent it back, saying if i wanted stew with a oblong of puff pastry I would have asked for it, I want a pie.

100mphplus
    Free Member

There’s also the ‘local’ northern delicacy of a ‘pudding in a muffin’ too :p

jamiea
    Free Member

But, but…but WHY?

Cheers,
    Jamie

lilchris
    Free Member

The bread helps the gravy, Shirley?

lucien

And you eat them, right?

binners

No, you fisbee them at southerners 😀

twinklydave

eat them? I should jolly well say so.

with gusto aplenty

pie barms For The Win 🙂

jamiea
    Free Member

The bread helps the gravy, Shirley?

So what’s wrong with a slice of bread mopping up the plate? Oh, is that it- the Northerners are so uncouth they pay no regard to using crockery and cutlery 😉 🙂

Cheers,
    Jamie

IA

That’s more of a stew with a hat on.

zilog6128

pie barms For The Win

I’m not opposed to it as a concept, but it seems that – as a rule – they have to be made from the cheapest, shittiest bread and grim, mechanically recovered “meat” pies so for that reason I’m ooot!

ton

hollands steak and kidney pie, on a buttered breadcake is divine.

twinklydave

I’m not opposed to it as a concept, but it seems that – as a rule – they have to be made from the cheapest, shittiest bread and grim, mechanically recovered “meat” pies so for that reason I’m ooot!

Go for a butter pie in a simple (freshly baked, by a baker not some supermarket dross) bun. Lovely.

(You’ll probably need a big mug of tea to help wash it down if you’re a beginner)

winston_dog
    Free Member

In my previous high carb days I was very partial to an Orkney steak pie in a roll. Delicious.

100mphplus
    Free Member

Hollands steak and kidney pudding on a Gregs bap for me 🙂

zilog6128

Go for a butter pie in a simple (freshly baked, by a baker not some supermarket dross) bun. Lovely.

Just googled “butter pie”. Now you’re talking! I might have to squeeze some crispy bacon in there somewhere as well though…

Yak

pie barms For The Win

@twinklydave – you had probably ridden a gazillion miles for that though 😉

If its just for dinner(lunch) then the carb/carb thing seems wrong to me and theres just not enough protein. I.e a pie has enough carb in the pastry. Bit like a chip buttie. That’s a wrong’un most of the time too.

binners

The unholy odour that comes out of the Hollands pie factory is what I imagine the apocalypse will smell like. I think it may even have been specifically mentioned in the book of Revelation

Still…. bloody good pies though. And even better on a barm 😀

jamiea
    Free Member

I feel a culinary tour of the north is in order. A weekend, say Friday eve to Sunday lunch(dinner)time eating only nothern local delicacies. What will be on the menu? A pie barm for Friday tea, natch!…

Cheers,
    Jamie

z1ppy

+1
    I know it been covers others including Warton, but I gunna repeat it anyway, because it’s NOT A FUCKEN PIE..and breath 😳

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

I thought they were those things on the corners at trail centres. No wonder I didn’t get passed Doncaster!

Yak

Pie and peas – all yer food groups. Done

technicallyinept
    Free Member

Go for a butter pie in a simple (freshly baked, by a baker not some supermarket dross) bun.[
    /quote]

The nicest butter pies I have ever eaten were from a deli in Congleton. (also home to Congleton Oatcakes)

One Friday, I bought three (to take home) but scoffed them all during the afternoon.

twinklydave

@twinklydave – you had probably ridden a gazillion miles for that though

However far it was, it was worth it 🙂

The nicest butter pies I have ever eaten were from a deli in Congleton

That seems suspiciously far south for a good butter pie, but I may investigate…

nbt

Don’t talk rubbish, Binners. A pie barm is not a wigan kebab

A Wigan Kebab is three pies on a stick, as shown in the excellent tie badge

nbt

*double-post numptiness*

Yak

4 pies on a stick?

technicallyinept
    Free Member

Manchester(ish) folks. I recommend a pie from the
    The Real Thai Company (barms not provided though)

MSP

A pie barm for Friday tea

God no, friday tea is fish and chips with a slice of gravy.

emsz
    Free Member

A pie in a bun?

Feel slightly icky

jamiea
    Free Member

A pie barm for Friday tea
    God no, friday tea is fish and chips with a slice of gravy.

So when should this culinary delight be consumed? Lunch(dinner)time? Or is it a more of a breakfast pick-me-up? 😀

Cheers,
    Jamie

zilog6128

a slice of gravy

grim 😕

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘Pie Barms’ is closed to new replies.