Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Pictures in for sale ads….. is it just me?
  • robdob
    Free Member

Is it the norm not to bother putting pictures in for sale adverts? I haven’t been in the for sale area for a while but the majority don’t seem to bother with pics, just inviting people to email them. Puts me off straight away. I know it shouldn’t if I really want something but I reckon if the seller can’t be bothered doing that then they may not be bothered looking after the item or describing it correctly etc etc. The faff involved in actually emailing the person from my phone makes it a chore (click profile, copy email address (doesn’t always work as it selects the whole box) open email app, new email, paste in email address, think of and type title, write an email, wait hours for pics) – so I rarely bother asking for the pictures.

Jamie
    Free Member

Loads of replies available. Email me for a response.

mattsccm
    Free Member

:lol:Jamie

I don’t always post pics. can’t be bothered if no one wants what I am selling.
    Pics don’t really help in all circumstance.
    I might sometime add a Flickr link. Sometime I might not.

pacef8
    Free Member

Well if their are no pics its likely they cann’t be bothered looking after their stuff either.

Avoid

oldnick

I hear from technically minded friends that pics can contain location data (if you know how to look for it), thus advertising the location of your shiny things.

I avoid this by hoarding all my old stuff.

binners

As I work in marketing* I tend to get a professional photographer to shoot some moody shots, maybe on a beach in the Maldives, then employ a copywriter to come up with an enticing, quirky, yet appealingly earthy script to talk directly to my target market. It adds on to the price, obviously, but it works for me

* feel free to post up the Bill Hicks video

MarkLG
    Free Member

It depends what I’m selling. If it’s had some use then I’ll add pictures to show the condition. If something is pretty new and looks the same as you’d see in the shops is there any point in adding a picture?

poonprice
    Free Member

I hear from technically minded friends that pics can contain location data (if you know how to look for it), thus advertising the location of your shiny things.

True, if taken on a phone especially. However its easy to strip the EXIF data by re-saving the photo in photoshop etc.. It usually has an option to preserve EXIF or not.

Not sure its really worth worrying about if you posting a secondhand SLX shifter or something.

LsD
    Free Member

Conversely, I always post pictures of stuff I do not have, and have buyers send payment by paypal gift.
    They never seem to learn…..

psling
    Free Member

However its easy to strip the EXIF data by re-saving the photo in photoshop etc.. It usually has an option to preserve EXIF or not.

You what!?! Some of us struggle with modern technology 😯

I have lots of good bits I should sell but wouldn’t have a clue how to host or post a picture 😳 I can however just about manage to email a photo.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

If something is pretty new and looks the same as you’d see in the shops is there any point in adding a picture?

because your version of “pretty new” and mine might be very different. I’ve seen plenty of “very good” and “like new” stuff that I’d describe as “tired” or “battered”.

Agree with the OP, takes minutes to upload pics and link into an ad, I’m sure the same people who cant be arsed to do so wouldnt think of putting something on eBay with no pics, maybe because theres no financial investment/commitment to the ad?

Jamie
    Free Member

True, if taken on a phone especially. However its easy to strip the EXIF data by re-saving the photo in photoshop etc.. It usually has an option to preserve EXIF or not.

So someone, who doesn’t know about geotagging, will have a copy Photoshop to fire up and strip out EXIF data?

😀

parkesie
    Free Member

Adding pics to your add save you having to email pics to half a dozen people.

PiknMix
    Free Member

If you can’t be arsed to add a few pics (and comply with forum rules) then I can’t be arsed to buy from you.

Legoman
    Free Member

Is there an easy way of re-posting an ad if something doesn’t sell first time?
    To be honest, it’s a right faff adding photos & the prospect of doing it repeatedly if you’ve got a lot to sell is just a massive ball ache. I’d rather just ebay it where re-list is a single click.

Drac

Copy and paste your ad a document on your computer.

Legoman
    Free Member

What about on an ipad?
    Would opening the old ad in another tab, then c&p’ing work?

bearnecessities

You know when you write the advert, before you post it, and it’s full of the “” content?

Copy that 😀

robdob
    Free Member

Write advert in Notes, copy and paste from that when you want to repost. Easy to edit when changes needed too.

Legoman
    Free Member

Cheers Rich, will try that next time (ps taking the Mondraker out for the first ‘proper’ ride tomorrow!)

Drac

What bear and rob said. You can save the post in notes or whatever android uses method is the same I just didn’t fancy writing it out for every device. 😀

bearnecessities

Excellent Paul; enjoy! 😀

Legoman
    Free Member

Cheers guys (sorry for the slight thread hijack!)

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Pictures in for sale ads….. is it just me?’ is closed to new replies.