Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Picture of the UK from above at night needed
  • flatfish
    Free Member

As the title suggests please.
    Thanks

cbike
    Free Member

Didn’t realise we were your slaves.

Find yer ain.

Jamie
    Free Member

It’s at night, just the lights are covered in snow.

HTH.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

That do? It’s only lit up as we dont like the dark etc.

Cougar

roadie_in_denial
    Free Member

How’s this? Bit different to the satelite photos above but still a beautiful photo if you like that sort of thing…

maccruiskeen

I’ll get my ladders

flatfish
    Free Member

[quotecbike – Member
    Didn’t realise we were your slaves.

Find yer ain.[/quote]

I said please and thank you, you miserable ****.

Jamie
    Free Member

I said please and thank you, you miserable ****.

I think the **** negates the pleasantries now, though.

flatfish
    Free Member

I said please.
    I said thank you.
    I got a rude response.
    I retorted.
    Why is there a problem with replying in kind?

Anyhow, what did the **** mean?

Pook

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

You’re looking for the wrong thing.

I’ve seen such an image and it was to do with “light pollution” – try googling that.

flatfish
    Free Member

Thank you Rightplacerighttime that seems to be getting the result I was after.

@Pook, Wrong

Mantastic
    Free Member

This thread is going well

MrKmkII
    Free Member

using ‘please’ and ‘thanks’ does not mean you asked nicely. it seemed like a demand. just saying.

bigjim

I’m not sure there is a ‘real’ image of the UK at night from space, there are several that have been made using urban area data which is how most of these images are made. There is a french astronomer who makes cool light pollution maps that have the look of being images from space, made from urban area data, but I didnt keep the bookmark. There is also an aerial imagery company who you can get to fly particular areas of the UK, but they are very expensive! I’ve looked into it to identify bat feeding corridors for a project at work.

scaredypants

bigger version(s) here

flatfish
    Free Member

Thats the kind of thing I’m after scaredypants but just the UK, and closer In if you know of such an image, please.
    Is that too demanding, mr k?

wallop
    CountZero

Don’t know about rude, but my first port of call is usually Google Images if I want a pic of something. It’s a much better search engine when all’s said and done.
    People who are too lazy to do their own searches, instead relying on others to do their donkey work usually end up being given short thrift on here.
    Just sayin’, like.

flatfish
    Free Member

I’d tried Google images and couldn’t find a close up decent image of the UK, just low res versions so I thought why not try STW as two hundred IT managers are better than me looking for a needle in a haystack.

Search engine laziness are the “What tyre” threads are they not?

flatfish
    Free Member

Like that one scaredy, still not the holy grail though.
    Looking at that image, and reading one of the other images theres light flares in the North Sea which are, apparently oil rigs!

scaredypants

??

cbike
    Free Member

I ‘m not miserable. There is no reason or backstory for this request which sounds like something a rude employer might ask of his employees.

I’m all for helping other folk but if it seems they haven’t put in a bit of their own effort first before coming and asking here, well they’re onto plums.

What are we going to get out of this deal? Are we going to learn something if we assist you? We need to know why we are doing something before we waste our time on your behalf.

So try google first then maybe reuters or any well known picture library then come back to us and we will see what we can do.

I’m a natural teacher, you have to find out these things for yourself before sponging off my great general knowledge. 😉 I’m also very cheeky. You will just have to deal with this. And stand up straight. No slouching at the back there.

flatfish
    Free Member

If you must know cbike, one of my children came home from school today asking about where people live.
    I thought, if I can find a picture to explain where granny and grandpa, grandma and grandad, and where we live it might make sense to a 5 year old.
    I thought maybe the night satellite pic would be better than just using google earth.
    I couldn’t find anything in decent quality after nearly two hours of on and off hunting so I asked STW for advice.
    Hence the request for some help as I’d exhausted all my avenues.
    I got some funny responses, as expected and a couple of abrupt responses which weren’t really justified.
    Why on earth would you think you’d get something out of this deal? Where was the deal? You didn’t have to reply, did you?
    There’s been a handful of useful people on this thread and argumentative sods like yourself which aren’t really called for.

Thank you, I’m off to bed now.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Picture of the UK from above at night needed’ is closed to new replies.