Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Pics of "Gnarly" downhill sections?
  • aye-aye
    Free Member

Anyone know of any good pics showing the view down a particularly “gnarly” natural downhill section? Roots, rocks etc
    Preferably without a rider in shot

greeble
    Free Member

fervouredimage
    Free Member

I’m intrigued. Can I ask what the pics are for?

aye-aye
    Free Member

Had a google but couldn’t find many pics that show how scary the view down a technical section can be from the top.
    Things never seem to look as scary in pics/vids as they actually are in real life, was wondering if there are any pics that kind of show the pucker factor.
    Something to show people who don’t ride, sort of thing.

robowns
    Free Member

You could take a pic from the bottom of a line that drops off a cliff and it would still look flat.

muddyfunster
    Free Member

muddyfunster
    Free Member

muddyfunster
    Free Member

aye-aye
    Free Member

OW!

muddyfunster
    Free Member

muddyfunster
    Free Member

muddyfunster
    Free Member

muddyfunster
    Free Member

muddyfunster
    Free Member

ashfanman
    Free Member

Pretty much any shot from Champery:

This track in Russia is also pretty steep:

Brett Tippie, doing what he does best:

Dolomites:

Laguna, CA:

muddyfunster
    Free Member

muddyfunster
    Free Member

muddyfunster
    Free Member

muddyfunster
    Free Member

deserter
    Free Member

scariest thing I’ve walked

muddyfunster
    Free Member

muddyfunster
    Free Member

aye-aye
    Free Member

Blimey, good to see some pics that convey a little bit of how scary this stuff can be (although nothing compared to actually being at the top)
    That Laguna, CA one is the closest i’ve seen to giving you that feeling from your comfy chair.

eightyeight
    Free Member

Some great pics here. Unfortunately I’ve got nothing to add, but keep ’em coming 😀

cookeaa

TBH video is generally better at communicating the challenges of DH, it’s only when people see a rider on a bike blatting across rocks and roots at speed that they appreciate the difficulty of staying on, let alone riding at race pace…

I used to have a brilliant picture though of Greg Minnaar going OTB in a Rock garden on my desk divider (Back when he rode for Honda), it was a great shot, He’s got his arms out ready for the landing impact both him and his bike are off the ground, bike front wheel down, him horizontal to the ground and he’s still clipped in.
    People used to ask me about the pic’, as if it was some sort of you’ve been framed shot, and I’d have to explain the fella in the shot is probably one of the best riders of all time (IMO) on one of the best bikes, it simply illustrates that DH is a sport where nobody is exempt from being caught out by the course, that you need to be comfortable and relaxed to do well at it, but that’s when you can take the biggest of kickings…
    I’ll have to look online for the shot later…

Northwind

bigjim

some of those made my butt clench

buck53

Hhhmm, don’t think I want to try DH…

monkeyp

cookeaa – I know that picture. It was in an MBUK(?) calendar many years back i think. Didn’t realise it was Greg though. I wonder what the consequence was – it looked hideous!

lowey

I;ve literally shit myself just looking at some of them.

greeble
    Free Member

I used to have a brilliant picture though of Greg Minnaar going OTB in a Rock garden on my desk divider (Back when he rode for Honda), it was a great shot, He’s got his arms out ready for the landing impact both him and his bike are off the ground, bike front wheel down, him horizontal to the ground and he’s still clipped in.

I thought it was
    matti lehikoinen

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

People used to ask me about the pic’, as if it was some sort of you’ve been framed shot, and I’d have to explain the fella in the shot is probably one of the best riders of all time (IMO) on one of the best bikes, it simply illustrates that DH is a sport where nobody is exempt from being caught out by the course, that you need to be comfortable and relaxed to do well at it, but that’s when you can take the biggest of kickings…
    I’ll have to look online for the shot later…

Definately Minnar, I’m sure it’s appeared in Dirt as well.

Speeling of propper SPD moments, anyone remember the sickening one of Peaty’s ankle straining at Fort William 4x when he went down clipped in? There was a (not very well taken) one of him and his bike hitting the ground at a not very natural angle to each other.

nick1962
    Free Member

I’m waiting for some old lag to come on and say they rode worse back in the day on fully rigid with canti brakes,1.5 inch semi slick tyres and 440mm bars 🙂
    Oh and dayglo lycra

bigjim

I’m waiting for some old lag to come on and say they rode worse back in the day on fully rigid with canti brakes,1.5 inch semi slick tyres and 440mm bars
    Oh and dayglo lycra

well, people did, just not very quickly.

missnotax
    Free Member

Arrrrgh, photos like this make me feel a little bit ill 😯

greeble
    Free Member

Arrrrgh, photos like this make me feel a little bit ill

ill?

all these pics make me want to ride.

Here’s a good video!

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtbsrUijM4M[/video]

and a video
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVmxpAkrz20[/video]

tuskaloosa
    Free Member

some of those pics are giving me the heebiejeebies

wilko1999
    Free Member

I rode worse back in the day on a semi-slick rigid with full dayglo brakes, 440 inch thick tyres and 1.5mm wide bars 😀

Actually I did used to ride a full rigid etc etc back in the day (no lycra though) but nowt near as gnarl-full as the above!

missnotax
    Free Member

greeble – yep, agreed, that clip has the same affect on me 8)

But some of the pics still make me feel ill – I blame the Mega, it totally screwed with my capacity to ride down mountains 😆

carlosg
    Free Member

greeble – Member

Arrrrgh, photos like this make me feel a little bit ill

ill?

all these pics make me want to ride.

Me too we’re going to Farmer Johns this weekend and can’t wait, love finding new spots close to home.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Pics of "Gnarly" downhill sections?’ is closed to new replies.