Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Pickup Truck Track World
  • Rscott
    Free Member

So I have managed to get get my self into a situation with the family that means Im going be towing a trailer pretty frequently, and shifting heavy stuff about quite frequently.

I was looking at Trucks and 4×4 around 2004 under £5000 with a max of 70000 miles on the clock fully serviced I have come across a Jeep cherokee that fits the bill (my dad has had one for 10 years and its been faultless and gets 35mpg
    But I also came across a ford ranger that also fits the bill, anyone used either of these for everyday purposes and got an idea of Fuel consumption on the ranger. its a 2004 2.5 td.

SST
    Free Member

You’ve seen your typo right? Lol

Rscott
    Free Member

Just So SST doesn’t look silly I wrote cock in stead of clock

SST
    Free Member

I have a Nissan Hardbody Double-Cab – so can’t compare with what you’re looking for.
    Pickups are great though 🙂

5thElefant
    Free Member

Have a look at the Isuzu pickups. They have the best mpg out of the trucks and are very cheap. Loved by Welsh farmers…

busydog
    Free Member

Have a Toyota Tacoma—-really like it. Seven years and not a single mechanical issue.

julians
    Free Member

Father in law has a ford ranger 2.5d 2005 model, he averages 25mpg.

He likes it, but he doesnt tow anything with it.

Rscott
    Free Member

The Isuzu’s have good mpg but for everyday use which it will get there a bit high mileage in my price range, or a bit old and industrial for long tips.

julians
    Free Member

Also, have just received an email froma car leasing firm containing a mitsubishi l200 double cab 2.2d for 128+vat per month for a 2 year lease. Can forward on the email if its of interest.

Rscott
    Free Member

Unfortunatly im not looking at leasing, as the truck will probably be trashed in 2 years, I would like to say it would look like new but in reality it will be used for everything from moving hose box’s,forestry and towing and carrying kayaks and boats including launch and possble wading.

If it wasn’t for that id snap the l200 up on lease in a heart beat.

climbingkev
    Free Member

35mpg on a 10 year old Cherokee…..honestly? That’s impressive for an old, big 4×4!

righog
    Free Member

I use this one

Probably too old for you ?

It is an excellent work horse, cheap to buy but 25-30 mpg 3ltr engine.

I plan to keep it for a long while.

busydog
    Free Member

I forgot to mention in post above, but I tow a large tent-camper with my Tacoma and take it into remote, 4X4/off-road locations and it handles the towing without any problems.

Rscott
    Free Member

Had completely dismissed the hilux’s will be looking into them, as for the cherokee its a 2002 2.5cdi, 80000miles its only just had its cam belt done and its treated very well. round town it gets around 25mpg but on the motorway it evens it out a lot, it also doesn’t do short journys which helps a lot.

I ask about the ranger as its local and a xlt thunder, in good condition full service history with a brand new clutch and gear box on a recall and a cam belt change. It has 6ok on the clock and is £3000, so if it lasted 2 years i’d be happy, but realistic I need them to get a 30mpg avarage on trips when ilm not loaded or towing.

Rscott
    Free Member

Im undecided if this is going to happen (but my car is needing replaced) my other more sensible option was a diesel estate, with a tow hitch, and use my dads Jeep when I need to tow the horse box or put the boat in question in the water or a winch.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Cherokees are steep for parts.

Also your comparing an apple with an orange.

Cherokee will drive nicely down the road, pick up will bob its way down the road.

might want to check your licence lets you tow what your thinking of towing. You want to have passed your test pre 1995 or have b+E entitlement.

I wouldnt buy either , id stick with an isuzu.

geoffj

I have an 07 Ranger Double Cab Thunder spec and get 32mpg (2.5 tdi)
    The 04s were the previous design and good for only low 20s mpg – I have a mate who had one.

My ranger is nice enough as a daily driver, great ride on road. Obviously its no race car, but its comfortable enough to make progress 😉 as required.

If you can find one within budget I would recommend it.

Rscott
    Free Member

Double post computers playing up or my brain.

Rscott
    Free Member

I have a D1+E so should be covered I think?

On the truck front I havn’t driven a 4×4 regular, Im currently running a 2006 focus on 280k that averages 34mpg after hydrolocking it last summer (sticking valves i think. but it also need new suspension, all round front bearings and abs, and yet another cambelt change. its also the dreaded 1.6tdci
    The 2 mentioned are what i have seen relitivly locally, I am looking for a Izusu but my price restriction puts me into the 100k +range and for some reason I’m a bit stuck up about buying cars with over this on them Not sure why.

I am taking in what people are saying and in no rush to buy as i have just had metel work put in my shoulder so its a few months before i’ll be driving.

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

I wouldn’t be snapping up a lease on the L200… I have one, and get about 25 – 28mpg!

To be honest, I would probably be looking at proper 4x4s over pickups. You will get something much more civilised for day to day use, with better maneuverability to boot (have you seen the turning circle on a pickup? I think a supertanker is more agile! The L200 is the best of the lot and that still leaves a fair bit to be desired).

As a thought – how about looking at LPG converted V8 petrols. They should cost the same to run as a petrol car returning about 40mpg. Range Rovers, Discos, Jeep Grand Cherokees, Patrols etc. If I were buying a private car that would be where I would be looking, fortunately my truck is on the company so doesn’t cost me anything to run about in other than minimal private mileage contributions!

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

with an annual mileage of 35000.

That’s going to cost you a small fortune in fuel. Have you worked out the cost based on an optimistic 30mpg @£6.15 a gallon?. minimum £7K, probably more like £8K, because you’ll not get the mpg you expect, maybe £9k if you’re towing reasonably regularly.

have you seen the turning circle on a pickup?

I’ve never once found that an issue. However, there are plenty of negatives in a pickup, one of the main ones being lack of security of the tray, often making it quite useless. If it wasn’t for the back seats in mine, folding away, I’m not sure how I’d manage storing stuff securely (the snug top things or similar are very expensive).

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

I have a twin cab ISUZU Hi-Lander.

I get 24mpg on shorter trips and 28mpg on the bigger roads.

These pick ups are designed to be used for all kinds of hard work for a long time. I wouldn’t be stuck up about higher milage trucks. Mine has done 100k (km) and handles like new. It’s the 3.0L TDI. The new ones come with a 125k mile warranty.

We have a Carryboy on ours. I can see the insecurity in having an open bed but there are electronic hard covers too. I don’t think they’re too expensive. Having said that, the carry boy bridges the gap and makes it into a great family ‘car’ as well as awesome bike transporter and load lugger / tower (max 3.5 tonnes!).

smartboy
    Free Member

My Dad runs a Ranger single-cab 4×4 on an 04 or 05 plate I think.
    He’s a farmer so it gets hard use daily, towing cattle boxes with up to 3 cows in and loaded bed with hay/tools/tractor parts etc etc.

Had it for about 5 years I think and now on about 150k with nothing major that has gone wrong. Serviced by local village garage. No idea about mpg though. Mid to high 20s sounds like a reasonable guess on the average (assuming, much reduced if towing something heavy).

BlindMelon
    Free Member

OP unless you really need a pick up I’d avoid. They are horrid things to drive, very agricultural surprisingly! I was considering one recently but they were just awful to drive, heavy, bouncy and with the turning circle of a barge.

geoffj

BlindMelon – Member
    OP unless you really need a pick up I’d avoid. They are horrid things to drive, very agricultural surprisingly! I was considering one recently but they were just awful to drive, heavy, bouncy and with the turning circle of a barge.
    POSTED 3 HOURS AGO # REPORT-POST

It’s horses for courses. For towing a trailer pretty frequently, and shifting heavy stuff about quite frequently they are ideal.

Obviously it’s not a Skoda Octavia vRS STW Wagon………or an Audi.

They are horrid things to drive, very agricultural surprisingly!

You need to define horrid. My truck is the most relaxing drive I’ve ever had in a vehicle.
    Comfy leather interior, all the toys, big bouncy wheels and suspension to glide along the road and an engine with plenty of torquey grunt so you are not up and down the gear box all the time.

Of course its not quite as engaging as my BMW 330i, but its a nice place to be on a long drive.

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

^^What goeffj said^^

It’s a nightmare in an underground carpark. On twisty roads, the steering wheel to wheel moving ratio (I’ve no idea what the proper word is) means you do a lot of turning.

However, on A roads, motorways and dual carriageways, it’s the most relaxing car I’ve ever driven. Massive torque means it pulls solidly up hills and when accelerating. Big volume tires are great at swallowing up bumps and the seats are as comfy / adjustable as any other car I’ve owned.

Over Easter we did 2,000 miles in 10 days and didn’t have a complaint with the truck.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Pickup Truck Track World’ is closed to new replies.