• This topic has 12 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by brant.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Picking a new CX race frameset
  • shedbrewed
    Free Member

I’m moving from cantis to discs this year and as such my bike is changing too. I’m swapping over the groupset/bars/saddle but will be buying new wheels.
    A bit of advice really, on sizing (if anyone has experience of the listed frames)
    Current frame is a Columbus Mud-x with 56cm seat tube and 53.5cm top tube. I like the way it rides and there is some issue with mud clearance around BB but other than that it’s good.
    I’m struggling to find a frame that is similar in geometry. They seem to be swapped round to sloping top tube and shorter seat tube.
    Shortlist is:
    Storck TIX but has bolt through axles
    Pickenfilck but needs MTB cranks.
    Viner DCX but has PF30 BB and bolt through axles
    ICAN AC129 Bit of an unknown but BSA BB, and 9mm QR axles

I’m 6’2″ and would be taking a Large in all the above. Anyone similar to help, please?

jonba
    Free Member

Can’t comment on geometry but I’d strongly recommend a Kinesis Pro 6
    as I love mine. Race CX, done the 3 peaks a few times, a few 100mile gravel rides and the odd Mtb route. Great frame.

Takes proper standards – QR wheels, threaded BB and tapered fork.

leggyblonde
    Free Member

53.5 top tube and you’re 6’2″? Do you have extremely long legs and short arms? What length stem are you currently running?

shedbrewed
    Free Member

@leggyblonde I know it shouldn’t work but it does. 120mm stem currently.
    Just seems to put me in what feels like the right position on the drops and hoods.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Just this minute stuck a compact chainset on my Pickenflick with no spacers on the RHS. Plenty of clearance.

Turnerfan1
    Free Member

Giant TCX are a good bet.
    Mine is a humble alloy one but I am fitting great on a large.
    I am also 6’2″ with a lot of post showing but otherwise good.
    The advanced one is lovely but there is a lot of work done to the SLR alloy one.
    Internal routing,Di2 routing and plenty of mud clearance as no chainstay or seatstay bridges.
    The whole bike could be had quite cheap and sell the bits you don’t want?
    Thanks,
    Max

tang
    Free Member

I’ve got a white 57 pro6 f&f that I’ll be wanting to sell. Spesh zertz seatpost and a fsa stem inc. Mail in profile.

shedbrewed
    Free Member

Thanks @mattsccm that’s good to know.
    Thanks for the Kinesis offer but neither they nor the Giants float my boat. I’d rather have more clearance between toptube and BB for shouldering the bike than a compact geo and sloping top tube.
    The TCX does look nice, but not much difference between bike vs frameset cost.

rich-c
    Free Member

I’ve had the Columbus Mud X for the last two seasons and I’m also looking to change to a disc bike next season mainly to try and alleviate mud clogging around the BB and seat stays.

My current front runner is the Look X85 as from the few pics I’ve seen it seems to have the biggest clearance around the BB area. Trouble is they seem to be a bit scarce, would anyone like to comment on whether this is a genuine frame or knock off copy? I don’t know a great deal about Alibaba and its business,

http://tr1074784037.fm.alibaba.com/product/50005331091-0/2014_LOOK_X85_FRAMESET.html

Rich

shedbrewed
    Free Member

The only list small sizes- 48-52cm so possibly could be end of line clearance? Also the seller lists other Look bikes in their stock.
    BUT I think it would be buyer beware as that price is $2k short of list originally.

benji
    Free Member

The look is mega money, the front fork on that one would put me off, as it’s IS mount and not post mount, so it’s probably many years old.

The specialized crux has good mud clearance, and if you want a mtb brand the santa cruz stigmata looked to be very good as well.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Crux and TCX are chalk and cheese from a geometry point of view.

brant
    Free Member

Pickenflicks got redesigned to take road compact.

We (Pactbikes) can do you a custom Ti frame from about £1000.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Picking a new CX race frameset’ is closed to new replies.