Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Picking a bike to work scheme?
  • sam_underhill

My new employer offers a cycle to work scheme using the Evans administered scheme. I am going to try to convince them to use a different more flexible scheme.

Mainly I want to point out that it’s better to allow employees to use independent shops or manufacturers rather than tying them in to a single chain.
    A couple of peeps recently have had bad buying experiences from Evans, both in bike availability and the bike building, so I’ll be pointing that out. Ideally I want to find more positives more than just pointing out the negatives though. So any bright ideas?

Also, I’d like to offer good alternative(s) to make their lives simpler.
    So any thoughts or reasons to choose a particular scheme over another? Or more killer reasons to move away from the Evans specific scheme?
    Thanks.

scotroutes

What would be simpler? All they’re going to be interested in is the cost and hassle to them. I’d start by contacting the other scheme administrators and asking them to do the “sales” pitch for you. It’s their business.

sam_underhill

All they’re going to be interested in is the cost and hassle to them

Maybe…. Depends if they value the employees.

I’d start by contacting the other scheme administrators and asking them to do the “sales” pitch for you. It’s their business.

Good idea.

andrewreay

As others say, get the businesses to do the pitch.

In the meantime, some ideas:

Local ‘branches’?
    If the nearest Evans to your main office is miles away, point out the benefit of local shops and ‘try before you buy’.

Range
    Range is a good sales point too. The Evans range will be relatively limited. Opening to a wider network of LBSs gives many more options and brands.

Competition
    Is your employer in competition with any of Mike Ashley’s businesses? It’s unlikely Evans were part of the Ashley empire when they signed up to the scheme. Could now be a conflict?

Etc etc

On the negative side, some of the schemes (Cycle2work?) require participating LBSs to accept C2W vouchers but take a 10-15% cut, so whilst some may think they are supporting the LBSs, the reality is that they are just piling on low margin sales for lots of admin and grief.

CraigW
    Free Member

Do you need to use a scheme provider?
    Your employer could just buy the bike, then setup a salary sacrifice agreement to pay for it. No need for another company in the middle. The employer can save money on NI contributions.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Maybe…. Depends if they value the employees.

Depends how big the company is?

One of 10 people, your boss probably sees it as a way to save a few hundred quid of employers NI for himself. One of 10,000 people, its a faff requiring payroll and hr time which costs money and most of you are replaceable.

sam_underhill

Thanks. Plenty of useful food for thought there.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Picking a bike to work scheme?’ is closed to new replies.