Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Pickering or Keswick or ????????
  • alexpalacefan

Looking for recommendations.

Missus and I are off for a short break, as follows:

N of England/S of Scotland
    Nice town to visit, but a decent size so something to do if it’s pissing down all weekend.
    Access to countryside.

Thought of the above but would welcome suggestions for elsewhere.

We’ll be after a nice B&B/Hotel/pub with rooms, so any advice here also appreciated.

And any other tips.

Cheers,

Alex

ads678

Out of the two, Keswick. Just cos, bigger hills n shit.

Sorry I’m drunk.

tinribz
    Free Member

Would choose Scarborough over Pickering.

jekkyl

Who?

tomd
    Free Member

If it rains, Keswick has the pencil museum. Pickering has the NYM steam railway.

They’re both quite different but nice. Keswick if you want outdoor shops and big hills. Pickering is nice but more of a normal, pleasant market town. Plenty waking, biking etc on the doorstep of either place.

joat

As above, both are nice. But if you like to walk or ride straight from your accommodation I’d choose Keswick. The hills and trails start straight from the town or you can catch a bus or ferry to get further out. Pickering will most probably be drier though.

rockchic
    Free Member

We had a weeks camping in Pickering and really enjoyed it. Plenty of walking and Dalby was close by. If you fancy the coast then there’s Scarborough and I don’t think York is too far. If you fancy a bit of nostalgia then Eden Camp is close and I think Pickering has a !940’s weekend coming up in October.

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

Pickering has Dalby forest nearby – lots of walking/biking there.

The coast is nearby.  Personally, I’d choose Whitby rather than Scarborough – take the pleasant road over the North York Moors and stop at the Hole of Horcum – stunning scenery and again, lots of walking.

Or you could head inland – Helmsley is nice and maybe head to Sutton Bank – the views of the Vale of York from there are stunning.

alexpalacefan

Thanks all, decision made

APF

binners

What have you gone for then? Keswick?

We’re off up there next weekend. Again. It’s our default for weekends away. You know about the legendary cow pie at the George Hotel?

We always stay with the boys here

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

That looks fantastic 🙂

binners

You have to do a good day’s walking or riding to work up the appetite for it. We always book a table at the George if we’re out in the hills all day. No need to look at the menu. The Chicken, ham and leek pie is equally as awesome! 😀

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

I haven’t been to Keswick for a few years – looks like I have a very good reason to visit again 🙂

alexpalacefan

Ah. I had decided, but then PIE!

APF

stevedoc
    Free Member

Defiantly Keswick  It go the Royal George Cow pie and the Oddfellows arms is cheap as chip .

Besides if seen the Pickering fellow  ,Ronnie seems a little unhinged

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Pickering or Keswick or ????????’ is closed to new replies.