Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 216 total)
  • Picard – Amazon 24th Jan (Spoilers)
  • Premier Icon DickBarton
    Subscriber

Absolutely – I suspect they were beating Shatner back with a stick as he’d have been offering it for free if the show had his (character’s) name!!!

Premier Icon Kuco
    Subscriber

7 of 9 is from Voyager, they rescued her from the Borg and she became part of the crew, Voyager did actually make it back home.

The characters they played in the club were meant to be flamboyant and over the top.

Premier Icon DickBarton
    Subscriber

I suspected Voyager did make it back but I now have questions about the timeline – how long did it take them to get back and where do they sit against Enterprise (and Picard’s Enterprise) – that was the one that was meant to be on the deep space mission and all that (Voyager went deeper due to whatever it was that sucked them in – wormhole?)…

Premier Icon Kuco
    Subscriber

Voyager was thrown onto the Delta Quadrant by the Caretaker. The timeline is the same as Deep Space Nine and TnG

Premier Icon Kuco
    Subscriber

Did anyone else notice that Quark the Ferengi was used as the reference for the meeting in the bar?

Premier Icon FB-ATB
    Subscriber

I think Janeway, the Voyager captain, was in one of the Picard Star Trek movies.

Premier Icon cookeaa
    Subscriber

i can’t understand why Amazon didn’t release it all at once if any of their executives saw it prior to release

Because they don’t own it and didn’t make it.

Star Trek is a CBS property and they’re banking on Discovery, Picard and a couple of other hinted at spin offs saving their US subscription service. Seeing as the rest of the world doesn’t matter it’s sold to amazon (and others) for wider distribution 24hrs after the Yanks get it.

One other theory is that by sticking with the weekly release format the producers can review the online fan whingers and edit/reshoot later episode to somehow placate the various haters. TBH that’s a load of bobbins spouted by incel, minor corporate, conspiracy loving weirdos…

bensales

Seven was a guest star, possibly a recurrent character, it was OK, squeezed in some voyager based nostalgia for those that might want it and explained the “rangers” a bit more

That was blatantly a backdoor pilot for a series with Seven Of Nine being a one-cyborg version of the A-Team.

Premier Icon dangeourbrain
    Subscriber

It just feels a bit naff, warrior nuns…. Who really like telling the truth!? We really need that one too come with us, he’s dead good at martial arts… in a universe of spaceships and blasters.

Also we know they’re going to a borg cube, the borg never could adapt to physical things so might be useful, by pure luck the they picked up the nunja on the way…

I’ve not seen this weeks yet, so possibly obviously bunkum by now but I’m going to guess the big secret the romulans are hiding is the borg aren’t really from the delta quadrant, they’re an ancient romulan invention, like veeger in which ever shatner era film that was

Premier Icon DickBarton
    Subscriber

The very first film and was Voyager…a satellite sent from Earth.,.

Premier Icon cookeaa
    Subscriber

That was blatantly a backdoor pilot for a series with Seven Of Nine being a one-cyborg version of the A-Team.

Which would go down a storm TBF, seven was the character brought in to save the then failing voyager series, and did. The fanbois would definitely tune in to watch her hunt space baddies rather than Harry Kim and his clarinet…

I suspected Voyager did make it back but I now have questions about the timeline – how long did it take them to get back and where do they sit against Enterprise (and Picard’s Enterprise) – that was the one that was meant to be on the deep space mission and all that (Voyager went deeper due to whatever it was that sucked them in – wormhole?)…

Voyager made it back quite quickly really, thanks to some irresponsible time travel shinanigans by a future admiral Janeway and making use of borg transwarp tunnels.
    Strangely enough starfleet still make Janeway an admiral (she sends Picard off on a mission at the start of nemisis) so voyager manage to miss the dominion war and I think the second borg attack on earth (first contact) but they were back just after that…

Premier Icon cookeaa
    Subscriber

I’ve not seen this weeks yet, so possibly obviously bunkum by now but I’m going to guess the big secret the romulans are hiding is the borg aren’t really from the delta quadrant, they’re an ancient romulan invention, like veeger in which ever shatner era film that was

Hmmmm, I did think there might be some ancient borg connection worked into the plot, my money is on a Discovery tie in, to do with the future AI they were supposedly battling across time? Dunno that whole thread was left a bit fuzzy, mostly to justify another series?

I’m slightly worried this (newly invented?) deep, ancient Romulan “loathing” of artificial life is some sort of Trek-skynet thing and we’re headed for a sci-fi mashup with time travelling robots vs… Pike paired up with Sisco maybe? Why not squeeze everyone in to these fantasy plots?

Premier Icon FuzzyWuzzy
    Subscriber

I’m enjoying it so far (but perhaps giving it more leeway than I would other Sci-Fi series). The last episode I was mostly thinking “wtf, that’s Deanna Troi – stop pretending you don’t know each Picard!” but apparently it wasn’t – so confused :p

scruff

The bar scene and dressing up like 70s pimps was an abysmal idea for plot writing.

stuey

Nice teleporter/portal but Why did he leave the ninja nun behind?

Premier Icon DickBarton
    Subscriber

The Borg get reactivated and discover ninja and Huw and realise that the machine isn’t the answer as they have 2 examples of ‘perfection’ without assimilation…

Perhaps, but suspect it’ll be down to some mince about not enough power to transport them all to safety.

Premier Icon eddiebaby
    Subscriber

I’m still loving this.

Premier Icon piemonster
    Subscriber

Perhaps, but suspect it’ll be down to some mince about not enough power to transport them all to safety.

It wasn’t exactly clear was it. Although after they’d left Huw did say they’d need time to shut everything down to remove any trace of where Picard had gone.

Premier Icon scotroutes
    Subscriber

Eh? I thought it was pretty clear. The room needed time to reset and he said he’d help keep the the Romulans at bay to give it enough time.

Premier Icon piemonster
    Subscriber

I must have tuned out slightly for that bit

Premier Icon zilog6128
    Subscriber

The room needed time to reset and he said he’d help keep the the Romulans at bay to give it enough time.

that’s what’s known as a Macguffin. It’s a tool used by shit writers, which this show seems to have in spades 😂

I bet they’d just re-watched S1 of Game of Thrones and thought they’d recreate Syrio Forel‘s poignant death. Unfortunately they failed because no-one actually cares about any of their rubbish characters.

I actually thought this episode was an improvement though (that’s not really saying much mind 😀)

Premier Icon househusband
    Subscriber

Star Trek acknowledges and expresses alcoholism and depression shocker pleasant surprise.

Premier Icon eddiebaby
    Subscriber

Just watched Charlie’s Angels. Very hard to differentiate between Picard and Bosley.

Premier Icon DickBarton
    Subscriber

That was a much better episode!

retro83

the images from the admonition vision

Spoiler:
    Premier Icon DickBarton
    Subscriber

7D was incredibly well hidden then…

Premier Icon CheesybeanZ
    Subscriber

The scene with the all the holograms was a new low . Rest of the episode was better .

Premier Icon Kuco
    Subscriber

I found the scene with the holograms amusing.

Premier Icon FB-ATB
    Subscriber

How do we know that the captain isn’t an Emergency Hologram Captain?
    Seemed to cover more in that episode than several of the last.

What a co-incidence the captain they charter had met another version of Darj/Soji.

retro83

DickBarton

7D was incredibly well hidden then…

I had to go back a look for it after somebody mentioned it but it’s definitely there, 3:38 ish.

Premier Icon FuzzyWuzzy
    Subscriber

Good episode I thought, OK the humorous/cheesy side shows like the hologram interactions isn’t great but that’s always been part of Star Trek.

Although now I don’t know whether the Romulans are the actually good guys saving us all from AI annihilation…

Premier Icon DickBarton
    Subscriber

And the engineering holo had a bad Scots accent as well…

Klunk

Although now I don’t know whether the Romulans are the actually good guys saving us all from AI annihilation…

I thought it was saving us from something else so terrible that it turns you mad enough to blow your own brains out that arrives when AI passes a “sentient” tipping point

Premier Icon oldnpastit
    Subscriber

I thought it was saving us from something else so terrible that it turns you mad enough to blow your own brains out that arrives when AI passes a “sentient” tipping point

Are the Romulans trying to protect civilization from awful script writing and turgid acting? Because if so, they have my full support.

Sui

Klunk

Didn’t Picard use the word “believe” that AI was a bad thing, in the context that the romulans wanted to make sure they were not around. The images giving through the mind meld process were fabrications to keep the illusion / agenda going..

Premier Icon scotroutes
    Subscriber

I might have misunderstood but when the group are sitting around the table discussing the alignment of the planets and the Admonition, it was compared to the Zephram Cochrane warp drive moment – create a sufficiently evolved AI and “someone shows up”. Is it possible that there is another, as yet unidentified group, that is acting as some sort of inter-galactic police force, simply wiping out civilizations that get to this threshold rather than the AIs themselves?

hols2

Is it possible that there is another, as yet unidentified group, that is acting as some sort of inter-galactic police force, simply wiping out civilizations that get to this threshold rather than the AIs themselves?

That’s how I understood it.

nickjb

Did the haters not watch TNG, DS9 and Voyager? This is more of the same, including hologram nonsense and ill fitting characters. Great stuff IMO.

My missus is a huge Trekkie (you don’t even want to know about the Las Vegas exhibition embarrasment…) but we have to watch each epiosde twice becuase she bascially falls asleep the first time and we ‘recap’ again the following Friday before the next episode, which is not really a good sign.

We’re swapping between Picard on a Friday and catching up with Discovery Season 2 during the week – can’t get much different in terms of plot speed. My heads frazzled after Discovery, and just numbed after Picard.

I suspect in hindsight, Picard would be a good series if they edited out an episode or twos worth out.

And the engineering holo had a bad Scots accent as well…

a fine Star Trek tradition.

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 216 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.