Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 216 total)
  • Picard – Amazon 24th Jan (Spoilers)
  • Premier Icon Cougar
    Subscriber

I would like to see the humble Tailor make an appearance as an ex member of the Obsidian Order

Please $deity.

Premier Icon eddiebaby
    Subscriber

Exposition over action and none the worse for it.
    Loving it.

Premier Icon scotroutes
    Subscriber

Also, best opening line from any character ever.

+1

Premier Icon kimbers
    Subscriber

I would like to see the humble Tailor make an appearance as an ex member of the Obsidian Order

Oh yes

While we’re at it could we find Bashir & Obrien finally shacked up in the culmination of the greatest romance in trekdom ?

scruff

Anyway, Seven…

greenskin
    Subscriber

Yes! Seven…

Loving it thus far. Hitting the mark and that lad, he’s a ruthless one.

Premier Icon rOcKeTdOg
    Subscriber

Hating & loving the unable to binge-watch nature of this series.

Seven…Best reason to tune in next week Eva!

Premier Icon DickBarton
    Subscriber

Not really ruthless just doing what he has trained to do…

Premier Icon cookeaa
    Subscriber

Exposition over action and none the worse for it.
    Loving it.

While I’m enjoying it, I can’t help but feel the pacing is somewhat off. There was a reasonable amount of scene setting in episodes 1 and 2, but episode 3 felt a bit slow and episode 4 didn’t really move the story on much, Picard is finally in space, but most of the episode is spent on a detour to pick up a Romulan ninja elf with abandonment issues, and we get seven at the very end…

But what other elements of the story were developed this week? Not much that I could see. It is worth noting that there are only ten episodes in this series and it’s feeling a bit like they’re pissing about TBH, they should have caught up with Maddox this week, perhaps even learned about the existence of the “reclamation zone” cube and possibly engaged in a bit of espionage to learn its location…

Oh and I’m going to throw a wild guess at a future ‘twist’ out there now, that fella Rios… Hologram, passing as a human.

Premier Icon DickBarton
    Subscriber

The ship that got hijacked by Borg was given a bit more story…

Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

Have to agree, it’s a bit slow at the moment. I don’t want a long 14 hour epic movie cut into 14 hour long chunks.
    I want 14 episodes but done bits linking together to make an overall plot.

Premier Icon chakaping
    Subscriber

I’m trying to stay with it but the dialogue is pretty ropey and blatantly expositional, and the pacing is all over the shop.

I like that they’ve tried to do something different with star trek but it’s not quite working for me.

So have the Romulans always been crypto Israelis? Or is that a new thing? Finding it a bit distracting.

dumbbot

Got bored about 20min into epi 4, binned it…I tried, but it’s to slow.

Premier Icon CheesybeanZ
    Subscriber

Just watched 5 , plenty of seven for RD

darthpunk

Got bored about 20min into epi 4, binned it…I tried, but it’s to slow.

After the initial excitement/nostalgia wore off, i’m starting to agree with you. I find the whole “synthetic/biffing a romulan dude/chosen one/destroyer/sliding in a borg hallway in our socks” storyline insufferable

Premier Icon Kryton57
    Subscriber

Yeah same a bit.  Not enough lasers this week, and JLP acting like Kenny Everett’s Marcel Marceau was pretty crap.

Premier Icon dangeourbrain
    Subscriber

the whole “synthetic/biffing a romulan dude/chosen one/destroyer/sliding in a borg hallway in our socks” storyline insufferable

You’re not alone but I’m struggling through, knowing the payoff when he’s torn limb from limb by a reanimated Borg will be all the better for it.

hols2

I lost track of the plot a few episodes back so it’s just random scenes of sci-fi for me. Mostly quite entertaining. The atrocious French accent was atrocious.

If Raffi calls him JL one more time then i’m oot. I hope they kill her off at some point. Pretty dull last couple of episodes, I hope it gets better soon.

Premier Icon Drac
    Subscriber

How many times do we have to watch a back story?

Anyway it was a bit more Next Gen this week with the bar scene, just as cheesy and badly acted too.

Premier Icon funkmasterp
    Subscriber

The prosthetics are the worst part for me. Seven looks like she’s had bits of foam or plastic glued to her. I’m guessing it’s supposed to be metal? That lizard man looked like his face was made from papier-mâché. Did they have a deal with a local primary school for the FX!

The Elf who seems to have walked on to the set straight from Middle Earth is odd too.

Premier Icon Drac
    Subscriber

Yeah I did laugh at those too.

Yep, bit lame last night.  Ohh look the cybernetics Doctors working for someone else, at least make the spy in the team a surprise.  Ninja/Samurai/Romulan/Elf Assassin seems a bit of a random bolt on. Better pick up soon or it’ll go the way of Enterprise.

hols2

the bar scene, just as cheesy and badly acted too.

You’re thinking about it wrong. It’s much better to believe that it was some great actors playing some ordinary people trying to act, but doing a bad job. If you think about it like that, it deserves a clean sweep of the acting awards.

Premier Icon richardkennerley
    Subscriber

I’m 4 episodes in. Got to say I’m a bit disappointed. I wouldn’t describe myself as a huge trek fan, but I did watch TNG when it was on and a couple of the films I think.

When I saw this advertised, I was hoping for something a bit grittier I think, some sort of deeper drama/character study with a sci-fi edge to it, rather than just an extended episode of the NG. It just feels a bit naff, warrior nuns…. Who really like telling the truth!? We really need that one too come with us, he’s dead good at martial arts… in a universe of spaceships and blasters.

I’m pretty sure Patrick Stewart is a terrible actor after seeing this as well.

I’ll keep watching it though, gives me something else to moan about and I bloody love moaning.

Premier Icon Drac
    Subscriber

You’re thinking about it wrong. It’s much better to believe that it was some great actors playing some ordinary people trying to act, but doing a bad job. If you think about it like that, it deserves a clean sweep of the acting awards.

No, there was more than them in the scene and they weren’t always in disguise. The ridiculous French accent was clearly meant to be just that so you’re partially right.

Premier Icon cookeaa
    Subscriber

I think ep5 was an improvement in plot advancement and some characters development and maybe a step back for others…

The AI doctor lady is a conflicted baddie now (excellent move IMO) Raffi is an estranged from her son, crackhead, conspiracy nut (explains a bit), Rios did a bit more (OK maybe not a hologram).

Seven was a guest star, possibly a recurrent character, it was OK, squeezed in some voyager based nostalgia for those that might want it and explained the “rangers” a bit more.

But why did Legolas suddenly become an idiot? Last week he’s a badass, Romulan, ninja-elf this week he can’t quite grasp “pretending”? Weak.

The atrocious French accent was atrocious.

Definitely the best bit of the the episode. An English man who played a French character for almost two decades on and off without ever changing his accent, finally breaks out the Franglais as a pretend space pirate, and its awful! We’ll let him off though, cos’ it’s Patrick innit.

Premier Icon funkmasterp
    Subscriber

But why did Legolas suddenly become an idiot? Last week he’s a badass, Romulan, ninja-elf this week he can’t quite grasp “pretending”? Weak.

Isn’t he an honorary truth nun or something? Not that that’s a great excuse mind.

Premier Icon scotroutes
    Subscriber

Romulan, ninja-elf this week he can’t quite grasp “pretending”? Weak.

I assumed this was because his upbringing involved never lying so it was all a bit strange for him.

And I also though the Patrick Stewart accent thing was Picard hamming it up badly. It was both grating and amusing at the same time.

I didn’t think the episode moved the plot along much though, especially if it turns out Seven was only in it for this episode.

darthpunk

I’m pretty sure Patrick Stewart is a terrible actor after seeing this as well.

Unfortunately it’s stuff like this that makes you forget how good he was in Logan, or as Bullock in American Dad

Premier Icon sirromj
    Subscriber

Dunno what you lot are moaning about, it’s Star Trek FFS, what did you expect

😂

Premier Icon eddiebaby
    Subscriber

Not a Star Trek fan so I’m loving it.

Premier Icon Drac
    Subscriber

Exactly Sirromj it was always baldy acted and cheesy as hell but entertaining.

Premier Icon ocrider
    Subscriber

The Englishman playing a Frenchman, playing a Frenchman wearing an eye patch badly is brilliant and could have have happened years ago on the holodeck. Remember how awful the Irish village in Voyager was? At least this time it’s being done with humour and Rios got to dress up like Matt Berry in House of Fools.

Premier Icon funkmasterp
    Subscriber

I always assumed Star Trek was supposed to have ropey effects, makeup and acting. Like a soap opera in space, so no budget and actors who couldn’t get work anywhere else. Patrick Stewart being the exception that proves the rule on the acting front.

Premier Icon cookeaa
    Subscriber

I assumed this was because his upbringing involved never lying so it was all a bit strange for him.

No he was raised to believe in “total candor” i.e. Always telling the truth, for which, of course, you need the capacity to understand what an untruth is. It is just a bit of poor writing, but it’s not really a biggie. I just don’t see how slow on the uptake, yet utterly deadly in close combat makes for a good warrior nun/monk character.

I am enjoying picard plenty though, it’s basically “dystopian trek”, Well a bit more dystopian than TOS/TNG tended to be. Where a well intentioned citizen from the “civilized” bit of the alpha-quadrant (federation) finds himself rubbing up against the Balkanised fringes of the Romulan empire/former neutral zone. A good old fashioned clunky Trek allegory for the modern world…

Premier Icon argee
    Subscriber

It was a bit of a struggle that episode, bit late now, but the second half of this season needs to be a bit more direct, the weird thing for this show is that it could have been released all in one, making episodes like this and the last minor issues, but as a weekly show it means any slackness or indirect stuff and it gets poor reviews, i can’t understand why Amazon didn’t release it all at once if any of their executives saw it prior to release, there’s too much character development, backstory and flashbacks.

Premier Icon FB-ATB
    Subscriber

I’m a bit meh about it, one plus point it’s encouraged me to rewatch Discovery. I gave up on that after a few episodes but have started again.

Premier Icon DickBarton
    Subscriber

I’ve obviously not watched enough of the old stuff to get how all the characters work – I thought 7 wasn’t from TNG, so I’ve no idea how everyone knows about her (suspect there will be a story arc that Picard learned of her whilst he was Borg to answer that).

Also no idea who Raffi is and how she fits in to knowing Picard so well when I thought Frakes was his number 1 and close colleague all the way.

CBS is doing the show – don’t think it is an Amazon thing, so suspect CBS is trying to control the show broadcasts like they do for the rest of their stuff – why offer it all in a oner on Amazon when their own site only does 1 episode a week (and you need to subscribe to see it on that)?

Given Patrick Stewart is an Executive Director and Jonathon Frakes is the Director, I’m not really surprised it is so TNG-like…

Premier Icon FB-ATB
    Subscriber

I think after TNG, Frakes went into directing more than acting. Stewart’s title is more of an honoury one to get a bit more dosh/ incentive to come on board after saying no for so many years.

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 216 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.