Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 181 total)
  • Phrases you hate
  • desperatebicycle
    Free Member

ooh, what a triggering (thats a word, not a phrase) thread! So many of those already mentioned. I also hate –

“You’re joking me” …no, I might be joking but I’m not joking you 😖

theomen

‘Near miss’, does that mean they nearly missed and actually hit?
    ‘Slow up’ is the opposite ‘speed down’?

ads678

Upcycle!

Richie_B

“Living my best life”

I’ve only ever heard this used sarcastically (either that or I’m further along the ASD spectrum than I thought). Perhaps I should watch more reality TV

thols2
    Free Member

“Boots on the ground.”

What, are you going to fly over in a helicopter and throw footwear at the enemy? I think you mean, “Soldiers on the ground.”

duncancallum

Any sentence starting with so.

MoreCashThanDash

At this precise moment, waiting for my other half to stop faffing so we can go on holiday, the phrase “I just need to….” is making my urine steam.

creakingdoor
    Free Member

Oh bloody hell, how long have you got? It’s a long, long list, this is just a taster of what’s in my head.
    “Triggering”
    “Oh my days!”
    “medaling” as a verb
    “‘low it” (as in a contraction of ‘allow it’)
    Bruv, bruh, cuz (cousin) etc
    Redoubling (with regard to efforts)
    Dis or dat (it’s fine if that’s your own cultural language, but not when misappropriated)
    Aks, instead of ask (see above disclaimer, it’s a Caribbean adaptation afaik)
    Innit, when used as a full stop
    Bear, instead of very, eg I’m bear hot, innit.
    I could give a toss/s**t – surely you mean you couldn’t
    Any Americanism

To be honest, most youth language I find disdainful, but I’m middle-aged and grumpy, and I fully get that language evolves very quickly, otherwise we’d all be talking like Shakespeare, forsooth.

kaiser
    Free Member

Not a phrase but “100%”

ibnchris

‘with all due respect’ (what you mean is, I think you are a moron…just say it like it is)

‘let me double check’ (what you mean is, I haven’t checked yet and will do so now…)

NewRetroTom

In tour de france post stage interviews “full gas”.

nickc

otherwise we’d all be talking like Shakespeare, forsooth.

Indeed. Oft, when I’m abroad on the circumjacent champaign; I take affright and often feel that I’ve been a victim of an ambuscade by some errant and baseborn ner’-do well, who assaults me with some affright to the language as an assay to elicit some communicant or jest at my expense.

However. Hither we to the future! Yclepe progress! . lest we be mistook for a mazed lurdan, mayhap this will go on long after we’re dead, and the trimbal of youth will sound ‘ereto all

Blackflag
    Free Member

Using “space” instead of “room” is quite annoying.

But sometimes i really enjoy it when Kevin McCloud goes full bullshit architect speak – “the structure is engaging in a constant dialogue within its own context” which simply means it fits into its soundings quite well.

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

Giving it 110%

ricbikemag

When my wife recounts a conversation, its all ‘he turned round and said this’ and ‘she turned round and said that’. Makes me dizzy just listening to it

fazzini

“New way to laptop”

I quite like that advert (linguistics aside)

But sometimes i really enjoy it when Kevin McCloud goes full bullshit architect speak – “the structure is engaging in a constant dialogue within its own context” which simply means it fits into its soundings quite well.

May also be translated as “its not a f*****g monstrosity like some of the shit I have to endure”

I may also add:

The art of the possible. 🤮 “…what I’ve also been up to in this space…” during any meetings. Rant. Rage.

Oh, and anything remotely related to ‘Agile’ especially the acronyms. In fact, all acronyms.

BillMC

To tell the truth, to be honest
    If that makes sense
    Can I get
    I’m good
    He was like and I was like…

NewRetroTom

“Cash waiting…”

No shit – how else did you expect to pay for stuff, buttons perhaps!

I think this is ok. If they are saying “cash waiting” it means they have the money ready to pay you, as opposed to, they need to sell something else/arrange a loan.

Kind of like the difference in a property transaction between a cash buyer and someone in a chain.

DrJ

“Shit the bed”. I’m not prudish but this seems like a needlessly unpleasant expression.

johnners
    Free Member

“Let me be clear…”

“For the avoidance of doubt”

desperatebicycle
    Free Member

“Shit the bed”. I’m not prudish but this seems like a needlessly unpleasant expression

I posted in the other thread before I’d seen this! 😀

desperatebicycle
    Free Member

Yeah, I think the best idea is not to take these things literally. I mean, I just threw something in the bin and missed and said “**** a duck” …!

Cougar

“What can I do you for?”

I always thought this was intentional. Is it not?

Is this going to be one of those threads that reveal once again that 1. Language use moves on , and 2. middle aged people don’t react well to that phenomenon?

3. passive xenophobia about those bloody colonials.

shermer75
    Free Member

Aks, instead of ask (see above disclaimer, it’s a Caribbean adaptation afaik)

Aks is an intersting one- it’s not a recent adaption in pronunciation but actually a continuation of a very old one. You could, in fact, argue that pronouncing it ‘ask’ is the (relatively) new upstart worthy of derision lol

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.quickanddirtytips.com/education/grammar/is-aks-question-proper-english%3famp

nuke

“reaching out” …why did contacting become this?

And if we taking about Love Island, anyone proclaiming they have to be “true to themselves” 🤬

desperatebicycle
    Free Member

I can’t be the only person who hasn’t seen and will never see a single second of Love Island?? (that’s not a phrase btw)

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

No, you are not.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Them’s the breaks…

Maybe you’d like, “them’s the brakes.”

To be used whilst driving one’s automobile, immediately after performing an emergency stop.

creakingdoor
    Free Member

@nickc
    That’s bear jokes fam.

See this, for much mirth & merriment.

Edit – “the trimbal of youth” is my phrase for the day.

Robz

“Where we’re at”

nickc

Maybe you’d like, “them’s the brakes.”

To be used whilst

Losing your premier-ship due to one’s inability to not lie, to function like a reasonable adult, or not break the laws you implemented yourself

Olly
    Free Member

“part out”

Is that not a mishearing of parse? (either by the originator, or yourself)

Gribs

“Going forward”. Entirely unnecessary unless they’ve found a way to change things that have already happened.

Mister-P
    Free Member

“reaching out”

I think it’s meant to make it look like they tried harder than simply sending a short and easily ignored email. I still can’t stand it though.

nickc

That’s bear jokes fam.

word, innit.

chrismac

Mindful when what they actual mean is considered, thought about, or be aware of

toby1

How have we got to this stage without:
    “Makes the trails come alive”???????

I will not “touch your base” no matter how you put it.

uponthedowns
    Free Member

“You do you”
    “Living my/their best life”
    Using “floor” instead of “ground”

johnjn2000

Super this, Super that as per the Super thread
    My bad
    Can I get?
    And a new one I have just learnt from someone else’s post “Bear hot” WTF is that about?

coconut
    Free Member

“My bad…” = First punch

“Mitigation Strategy..” = Second punch 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 181 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thanks for popping by - why not stay a while?IT'S FREE

Sign up as a Singletrack Member and you can leave comments on stories, use the classified ads, and post in our forums, do quizzes and more.

Join us, join in, it’s free, and fun.