Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 133 total)
  • Photos of my new Jones
  • racing_ralph
    Free Member

I don't get Jones bikes at all – fugly, showy for no reason, silly expensive anyone enlighten me?

fontmoss
    Free Member

Whilst everyone is entitled to buy whetever they want, that contraption looks like a pointless waste of nice materials to make something 'different' but in reality its nowhere near a decent HT with good forks and tyres, and no beardy weirdy can convince me otherwise.

anyone enlighten me?

ride one? i know someone who had similar thoughts until he rode one (ss stu's) and then i think it clicked. so much so hes now talking of buying a 29er. (hes a 26" wheeled stalwart)

racing_ralph
    Free Member

i don't have any baggy pantaloons, a red nose, and massive flipper shoes tho!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    fontmoss
    Free Member

i don't have any baggy pantaloons, a red nose, and massive flipper shoes tho!

its fine, these can be purchased at any local charity shop – they're normally behind all the 6 inch AM full sus rigs that folk have parted with

Kato

I know they're expensive, but how do you feel when random strangers just point and laugh at you?

I had that once riding a Whyte Preston, it still bothers me now

dertmerchant
    Free Member

I'm sure it rides great,
    just looks like it should have a basket on the front

fuzzyjimble
    Free Member

wrong/right/wrong/right/wrong/right/wrong/right/wrong/right/wrong/right/wrong/right/wrong/right/wrong/right/wrong/right/wrong/right/wrong/right/wrong/right/wrong/right/wrong/right/wrong/right/wrong/right/wrong/right/wrong/right/wrong/right/wrong/right/wrong/right/wrong/right/wrong/right/wrong/right/wrong/right/wrong/right/wrong/right/wrong/right/wrong/right/wrong/right/wrong/right/wrong/right/wrong/right/wrong/right/wrong/right/wrong/right/head explodes in confusion of judgement…

PikeBN14
    Free Member

Marmite – I love em!!

I'll say hello if I see you about, as a fellow South Downs rider 😆

Could only afford a Niner though myself.

IdleJon

A very low BB. Saddle almost over the rear axle, and lower than bars. Short top tube, and wheelbase. It should ride like a grumpy camel…….

I'm intrigued, so wrong that it could be right. (Has somebody said that already?).

nickc

It's a lovely looking frame even if all the contact points look a bit out of place 😕

Had a very short ride on one, and they are lovely things.

V jealous

racing_ralph
    Free Member

Looks like a girls Emmelle bike form the 90s

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

If anyone sees me on the Downs, or Leith Hills – please feel free to stop for a chat.

I guess it is a marmite bike – I knew I loved them the second I first saw one on MTBR 2.5 years ago. Right then I knew my next bike would be a Jones – and I've been saving for it since. I understand it may not be everyones cup of tea – but you do really have to see one in the flesh.

I'll post up some pics of the new handlebar height tomorrow – the saddle is the right height for me as I'm 5'8", so are the bars – which is all that counts in the end.

The frame has a 23" top tube,which by no means short, and plenty of standover for a 29er, which is similar to my FSR, which was 23.5" – so combined with the set back seatpost it feels good to me.

thumbie
    Free Member

Many congrats from me…would love a spin on one myself one day.

Enjoy 🙂

Houns

I'll repeat my question – What is the point of it?

JohnClimber
    Free Member

It's just the same as mine but I've permanently SS'ed mine.

I've got a thin "normal" wheel up front on a wide hub as well.

Your saddle does look quite low on the shots though.

As for the doubters. You do need to test ride one as nothing I've ridden has the same all day xc feel. Actually a test ride doesn't do it justice but you'd get the idea at least.

skidsareforkids
    Free Member

What a bike! Never ridden one, but can imagine it rides like a stabbed rat!

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

JohnClimber – similar – but not the same – mine does not have an EBB 🙂 – so the frame is a little lighter. Also – what pressure do you run your fat tyre? Mine is at 7.5psi at the moment – I'm thinking of trying it out at a bit lower.

I have a spare Whub, so I'll build a 'normal' front wheel when I have some spare cash.

coastkid
    Free Member

nice….,i mailed him about a 100mm BB 160 rear hub frame,on back boiler…
    you need a tractor tyre out back too this now…, 🙂

he`s gona do a run of 4130 truss forks and frames soon,

IdleJon

I've just been looking at the Jones website – $2450 for a steel (853) frame and forks! Good grief!

coastkid
    Free Member

Kato – Member

I know they're expensive, but how do you feel when random strangers just point and laugh at you?

I had that once riding a Whyte Preston, it still bothers me now

i get that having (i think) the only surly pugsley in scotland..i dont like to make folk eat humble pie but this now..in this weather..im still out riding.(moving forward)but i just invite mockers to come for a beachride with me..,normal bikes just dont go where these do,im a fan of jones bikes..i like them but they are pricey but no more than some full sussers..,

coastkid
    Free Member

IdleJon – Member

I've just been looking at the Jones website – $2450 for a steel (853) frame and forks! Good grief!
    yep! £425 for a surly pug!!

JohnClimber
    Free Member

I run the front at 9.5psi without a problem (digi gauge and yes I've got an anorak)

martinxyz
    Free Member

I like it and i love the big front end although i would have to make sure that for something up front so burly.. i would want something more than a tensioned piece of steel holding the hub in.Every part from the dropout to the treads on the tyre would have to be kind of matching in girth if you see what i mean.15mm minimum.great fork design and the stiffness of it and how direct it is must be great to own.. but to be let down by a qr skewer at such a critical area,such a shame.

Not pissin you off, my first 10 words expressed how much i like it.

coastkid
    Free Member

JohnClimber – Member

I run the front at 9.5psi without a problem (digi gauge and yes I've got an anorak)
    been down to 4.5psi a few times! 9-11psi ideal,
    anoracks are good at this time of year 🙂

coolhandluke
    Free Member

I remember bikes looking like that after I did acid.. 🙂

brant
    Free Member

been down to 4.5psi a few times!

in alaska, simon from all weather sports, used to say "if in doubt, let air out"…

long long time since I rode on proper snow – the first Idita100… highlight of my racing career.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

Looks like a penny farthing
    whats he done blowing the front tyre up too much
    whats with the silly front forks
    I wouldn't let you out on that!

Just some comments from my missus

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Well I suppose your missus won't be buying one then! 🙂

I nearly bought a Steel Jones with Ti truss fork – but it turned out that the standover was too high for me, I looked at a custom steel option – but the price was the same as the Spaceframe. That steel truss fork would look great chromed I rekon! Imagine a matt black Steel Jones with a chromed truss fork.

I have a digital gauge – so I suppose I'll have to have a play with different settings.

Regarding the front fork…… all the reviews I've read comment on its stiffness and precision…… feels that way to me too. Remember that 15 or 20mm bolt through setups are for inherently flexy suspension forks. Indeed the reviews of the Spaceframe have mentioned how flexy suspension forks feel in comparison. I don't know why Jeff didn't go for a 15/20mm bolt through hub – as the 135mm Paul Whubs were made specially for him. Ring him up and ask him -I'm sure he'd be happy to explain his reasoning.

JohnClimber
    Free Member

futon river crossing the handling is much sharper with the normal wheel on it, you must get one.
    I only use the fat wheel when I'm doing any rough or technical "downhill" decents and for long xc rides where speed isn't an issuse.

IA

Are jones' all custom? If so, why do folk run layback posts on them, why not get the bike to fit?

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

It's on the list – I have the Whub already.

What tyres for mud? The Weirwolf LT are spinning out a bit in the mud – and clogging up in the sticky mud.

martinxyz
    Free Member

well i suppose theres not too much wrong with the diameter. if a threaded solid axle with axle nuts on it were fitted then it would beef it up a bit more.

I just see everything so burly on it but at one point in the chain.. theres a weak link,you know? fitting a scrawny ti skewer would really show off how bad skewered front ends can be no matter how strong and stiff a wheel/rigid a fork is.

compared to flexy forks that the majority of us all use.. it will be so direct.but imagine it with 15mm. or would someone come along and tell us that its too stiff?

PePPeR

It look brilliant, I know they are a little marmite but I like marmite.

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Well my skewer is steel – not Ti 🙂 It really isn't a weight weenie build is it LOL, Gordo rims, 36 spoke rear wheel and speedway rims and the Endomorph tyre ….. and a steel skewer – while we're talking skewers – the rear is 10mm and quite burly 🙂

This isn't a custom Jones – it's a standard Spaceframe.

You can't get on the wait list for a custom Jones, and Merlin are no longer making them either! But the custom Jones I have seen all feature a set back seatpost anyway.

Mmmm marmite…..

Paisley
    Free Member

oooh look at my bike it is so niche. Nope sorry, it is a pig. i don't care how it rides, I would prefer to be seen riding your mum.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

futon river crossing – Member

Well my skewer is steel – not Ti It really isn't a weight weenie build is it LOL, Gordo rims, 36 spoke rear wheel and speedway rims and the Endomorph tyre ….. and a steel skewer – while we're talking skewers – the rear is 10mm and quite burly

This isn't a custom Jones – it's a standard Spackframe.

You can't get on the wait list for a custom Jones, and Merlin are no longer making them either! But the custom Jones I have seen all feature a set back seatpost anyway.

Mmmm marmite…..

sorted the error for you 🙂

sangobegger
    Free Member

Shit! – that is the ugliest bike I have EVER seen.More money than sense?

Coasting
    Free Member

Work of art,love it but way to expensive for this boy

petefromearth

there's rather a lot of belittling (sp?!) going on – the man's saved up for 2 years to buy his dream bike, give him a break! still, i expect he's out riding it and not reading your comments

i think they're cool and would love to ride one

my one comment is – that chain looks like it'll be rattling around the BB in no time – scuff-tastic

brant
    Free Member

Spackframe

?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 133 total)

The topic ‘Photos of my new Jones’ is closed to new replies.