Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Photography courses?
  • jools182
    Free Member

I want to do a photography course but not sure the best place to start

I’ve had a look online and there are a few places advertising, british photography academy, the photography institute etc, but I’m not so sure about them. I don’t want to spend a load of money that I don’t have and end up feeling ripped off

Anyone got any experience or advice?

thanks

alexb17
    Free Member

A lot of Higher Education colleges and secondary schools offer evening classes for photography. Otherwise, just get outside, take photos and mess around with the settings of the camera. I learned a lot from just getting a 35mm camera with B&W film and the internet. I learned a lot about aperture and shutter speed settings from that.

chrissyboy
    Free Member

Suppose it depends what you’re looking for really. If it’s just a ‘how do I get the camera out of auto, learn about the different settings and explore depth of field and a bit of photoshop’ then it’s worth scouring Groupon or equivalent – 1 day photography courses always seem to be available for not much money and are worth a go.

Trimix
    Free Member

Depends on what you want to do and what you want to learn.

Some will be from an “Art” perspective, some from a “technical” perspective and possibly a mix of “being a photographer as a job” perspective.

Have a think about what you want before spending your money. After all, a lot of stuff is free on the internet and you cant teach experience.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

If in London then a course with photoion can be recommended – sometimes I see vouchers for them as well :

http://www.photoion.co.uk/?gclid=CPLE882TuMkCFVQaGwod_aMEjg

The main tutor is Ion and his enthusiasm is infectious.

I reckon that it is probably best to read up on the technical stuff and composition rules from books (or online courses or websites) first as you have more time to absorb the information.

Then go on one of these courses to see first hand how a real photographer ‘sees’ light, some of the shots Ion took outside using reflected light from restaurant windows, light from advertising hoardings or tube station entrances and making it look like it was taken in a studio with expensive lighting was really impressive.

I did a couple of his courses but don’t actually do much photography, but it was actually worth it purely as it has increased my appreciation and enjoyment of natural lighting. One day I will have time to play with my camera more.

anniison
    Free Member

If its for getting off auto, find a local who’s doing one day courses where you have maybe 6 – 8 people max. You should learn all you need to know to start getting the images you want. We have a local chap that does a number (South Leicester based): Beginner, Intermediate, macro, flash, portraits, night, birds, big cats etc.

If you’re more experienced and its a particular genre you’re after look for workshops – especially residential if you can afford it. For example for Landscapes someone like Light and Land have a number of courses from 1 day to weeks away. A lot of good pro photographers will run workshops and you can book on their websites. Even better if you can afford a 1:1 day, you learn a significant amount!

Not long back from 10 days with Joe Cornish & David Ward, learned a stupid amount in that time. They also know good locations to take you to for inspiration.

Having been on (I went as a friend wanted to go) one of the groupon things, we found there were 40 people, some with iPhones through to high end DSLR’s. Avoid big groups like this like the plague, if you are looking at groupon check how many participants there will be and what the course structure is!

sturdylad
    Free Member

Probably not cheap but in one day had me from full on Auto pilot to having some idea of what all the changes meant on the camera.

They used to do an absolute beginners course, not sure if they still do.
    Small groups and very well taught.

Home

mrsfry
    Free Member

You could try your local college. I am on a Photography course BTEC Level 2
    It’s ok. The only downside is the teachers who are frustatingly lax and incompotent at how the deliverd the first part of the course.

I would do level 3 but not at Birmingham City College. Computers are so slow i am sure they are on dial up and i fear what the strange blobs on the keyboard so i take my own laptop and camera.

I found getting off auto pretty easy by just reading and fiddling.

Creating shots that make you go wow, would be where I’d need some tutoring

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Photography courses?’ is closed to new replies.