Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Photographers – what do you clean your DSLR sensors with?
  • thenorthwind

More specifically, is it worth shelling out for the more expensive branded swabs (like this) or are the cheap ones (like this) much the same?

How important is the size? I have an APS-C sensor, slightly smaller than 16mm with a 1.5x crop factor – does it matter if I buy 17mm or 1.6x swabs? Or should I get 13mm or 1.3x ones and do two sweeps?

5thElefant
    Free Member

I use an artic butterfly which does the trick most of the time. I use expensive branded swabs and fluid but have used apsc sized swabs on full frame and done two passes without a problem.

Never tried cheap swabs, but the difference will be cheap ones will be more likely to leave fibres behind or have grit in them. For the amount extensive ones cost per year I’m happy to err on the paranoid side.

pondo

I was advised to use conpressed gas canisters. This was after using cheap swabs and it’s never been the same since. 🙁

MrSmith
    Free Member

I was advised to use conpressed gas canisters.

What idiot told you that??

I pay somebody else (Fixation) to do mine but now im using Sony I use the eyelead sensor stick.
    Used to use the pec pads on MFD digital.

legend
    Free Member

Compressed air is good for getting loose debris off surfaces, always going to need good swabs and/or wipes for a proper clean though (Whatman wipes ftw, can’t remember what swabs but they are available from RS iirc)

Andy-R

I’ve been using Olympus DSLR’s since 2004 (E-1 and E-3) and I’ve never manually cleaned a sensor. Change lenses as quickly ss possible, with body facing down, and switch on straight away to let the ultrasonic cleaning do its stuff.

thenorthwind

Compressed air sounds like a terrible idea, no way I’d do that to a sensor.

I change lenses a lot. I know I’d get less dust if I didn’t, but I like playing with different lenses. It’s one of the reasons I carry a DSLR. I’m careful, keep the body pointing down, but I take my camera to wet, muddy, windy places because that’s where I like to take pictures.

bigyinn
    Free Member

I tend to use a decent blower that shoots out a good blast of air on mine. Combined with a sensor shake done by the camera seems to keep the sensor pretty clean and dust free.
    Im not keen on any contact method of clean sensors because done badly can end up smearing the sensor or worse.
    If you must use a swab, the Pentax cleaning swaps are supposed to be excellent, if somewhat pricy.
    Have a read of this first.
    http://www.techradar.com/news/photography-video-capture/cameras/best-dslr-sensor-cleaning-kit-6-tested-1079985

thenorthwind

Maybe getting a blower and having a go with that first would be a good idea. I’ve got a blower brush, but don’t want to get too close with the bristles so probably won’t be much good.

Anyone used one of those gel “sticks” to remove individual pieces of dust? Reviews seem to be mixed.

Cougar

Does it need manual cleaning? My ancient Canon does it automatically every time I switch it off.

DrJ

Compressed air in a can often contains oily stuff.

I found the Visible Dust swabs worked better than Sensor Swabs, but could be down to how I used them.

I still hate sensor cleaning and only do it when I really have to 🙁

Cougar

Compressed air is far too powerful, moreover. Grrr one of those little puffy blower things if you must. I think mine has “rocket” in the name, was highly regarded when I bought it, but I’ve never had cause to actually use it.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Rocket blowers are pretty good, although they are quite pricey. I went for the cheaper ones, ‘cos im tight.
    If you do go for a blower, make sure it has a little filter in the inlet so it doesnt suck in more dust and then blow into onto the sensor!

thenorthwind

Does it need manual cleaning? My ancient Canon does it automatically every time I switch it off.

Yes, there’s a couple of big bits in all my pictures stopped down below about f/8.

Mine is set to shake the sensor on power-up too.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Hopefully the blower will shift them.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Photographers – what do you clean your DSLR sensors with?’ is closed to new replies.