Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Photo storage – what to do?
  • surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

I have a 8GB card in my phone which is almost full so to move the pics for safe keeping is Flickr good enough or Google?

I have a BT account as well but am concerned that I lose the rights to it if I cancel the account.

trout
    Free Member

I chuck mine into dropbox for safe keeping

footflaps

I store all mine on:

Good ones go on Flickr as originals
    All photos go onto two Macs and a USB drive in a fire safe

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

I was thinking about a USB drive and now am thinking about a fire safe…

johndoh
    Free Member

Dropbox and (dependant on phone) you can get it to auto sync too.

nbt

Mine go on my hard drive,on a USB drive, and on my hard drive at work

footflaps

Firesafes are dirt cheap, can get one for £50.

Any storage media will fail, so use at least two HDs, if not three.

Cloud storage can fail eg Photobucket or someone else went bust recently and people lost access to their photos….

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Google + with picassa flick Gordon the good ones dropbox synced to my phone

m1kea
    Free Member

If you really really value the pics and want to keep them indefinitely, you need to save them in multiple locations.

If you store anything in the ‘cloud’ i.e Flickr, Picasa, Dropbox, you name it, be prepared to loose access to them at some point and/or have them scooped up in some copyright / ownership landgrab.

As you’ve only got 8GB, copy them to DVD, USB, hard disk and upload the better ones to your online storage provider of choice.

bencooper
    Free Member

Or for ultimate reliability, print them in a book with Blurb or similar…

DezB
    Free Member

Cloud storage can fail eg Photobucket or someone else went bust recently and people lost access to their photos….

Fotopic? And no photos were lost. Just saying, like.

nickjb
    Free Member

Cloud storage can fail eg Photobucket or someone else went bust recently and people lost access to their photos

That’s one of the big pluses of dropbox. Everything is duplicated on your home PC. I have my account linked to two PCs so there are always three copies, two of which I can access without internet.

To the OP I’d back them up somewhere like a USB drive and somewhere online (only the good ones if you have limited space) and buy a new card for your phone and put the old one somewhere safe.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Cheers – all useful advice!

johnellison
    Free Member

2TB Western Digital external hard drive. Pref. the network version if you use several devices over WiFi.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Photo storage – what to do?’ is closed to new replies.