Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 220 total)
  • Photo of a bike thief?
  • higgo
    Free Member

I just wouldn't have posted a thread calling someone a bike thief who may have had **** all to do with it.

Whether he did the actual thieving or not, he's connected to the theft, even if only by creating a market for nicked bikes.

It's entirely possible he did just buy a bike for him and his kid without thinking too much about where it came from. Doesn't matter – it's still not his. He'll be upset when it's taken off him. Maybe he'll tell a load of his mates how p!ssed off he is about the whole affair. Maybe some of them will tell some of their mates. Maybe some of them will think a bit more when offered a bike that's a bit too cheap. And maybe somewhere down the line a bike that was going to get nicked won't get nicked.

higgo
    Free Member

Maybe.

uplink
    Free Member

Don't you mean some of it's mine ??

most of it

DWH
    Free Member

It's your bike. Take it back.

I'm 100% with you on this one.

grumm
    Free Member

Maybe some of them will think a bit more when offered a bike that's a bit too cheap.

How much would be too cheap for that POS? 😛

Seriously though – it could have gone through several hands or second hand shops by this time and he might have paid a fair price for it. Or he might be a thieving scally.

What happened to innocent until proven guilty?

uplink
    Free Member

What happened to innocent until proven guilty?

Nothing

But I prefer for that to be sorted out whilst I'm in possession of the bike again
    As I said, I'll take it [if I get the chance] & tell the police what I've done
    If he reports it as stolen, we'll see how it goes from there

yoohoo999
    Free Member

To the OP,

what did you hope to achieve by doing this? do you have any idea of the potential legal implications of your actions?

either go and take "your" bike back or call the police.

what you have done may land you with a whopping payment in damages and legal fees to a potentially innocent man, the owner of the shop and anyone else that can be identified from that photo (i can spot at least another two).

DO NOT post things like this on a public internet forum.

If you don't care, then fine, I hope any lawyers that get involved have a field day with you.

Human rights…….fool. It's called the law, mate. If I recognised anyone in that photo I wouldn't think twice about telling them to sue you.

Riofer
    Free Member

OMG that is me behind the counter innocently serving sandwiches and now I'm associated forever with bike theft – who do I sue?

yoohoo999
    Free Member

if you honestly can't work out how to get the OP's real name, you ought to have another cup of coffee

nicko74

I'm watching this just for comedy value. Do let us know how you get on! 🙂

ooOOoo
    Free Member

Hey what if you just go along and lock the bike up with a new lock? 🙂

uplink
    Free Member

I think I'll start watching it purely for the comedy now

ski
    Free Member

baguettes are cheap though….

takisawa2

Just nick it back.
    I would.
    And I'd have posted the pic.

My god there's some rseholes on here. 🙂

devs
    Free Member

Human rights…….fool. It's called the law, mate. If I recognised anyone in that photo I wouldn't think twice about telling them to sue you.

You are a whale loving, tree hugging, black lesbian social worker from Haringey Council and I claim my £5.

sv

oh oh its hot in here I am in the photo too, who do I sue? Quick before I get the Tuna/Sweetcorn treatment.

owenfackrell
    Free Member

If I recognised anyone in that photo I wouldn't think twice about telling them to sue you

Do you look through the papers every day in the vain hope that there may be a picture in there of you near someone else and that you can sue because people will for ever associate you with that other idiot?

uplink
    Free Member

oh oh its hot in here I am in the photo too, who do I sue?

drop me an email, I'll give you details 😉

crispedwheel
    Free Member

damages and legal fees to … the owner of the shop and anyone else that can be identified from that photo (i can spot at least another two).

What are you basing this part of your rant on? Where's the potential for payments to any of these three people (I'm assuming by the other two you mean what I'm guessing are the girls working behind the counter – who I can't identify much beyond saying that one has blonde hair, and the other one seems to have darkish hair). At worst by posting this photo the OP is stating 'man who i believe has my stolen bike buys sandwiches from X shop and was probably served by one of two people'. Can you even identify that shop?

Olly
    Free Member

add another lock to it, and confront the gentleman, preferably with a bobby youve just collared as a referee.

im sure ive got the frame number for mine written down somewhere, but seeing as most of my components have serial numbers on them ANYWAY, i may make myself a more organised record…..

though he may well just then walk off, leaving his lock on the bike too.

i know a guy who saw his brother patriot on the platform at a station (recently nicked) so bolted it down and waited for the new owner to come and retrive it.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

hang on a moment!

Bike thieves arent the kind of people to be turning MTB's into kiddie commuters realy are they??? And Im not 100% sure he doesn't have just as much right to call it 'his' bike as he bought it in good faith. As you said, you were insured, so if you got it back your going to have to return them all their cash/bike (and im guessing you probably valued it a bit higher than the £50 its worth), this bloke looses a bike he probably bought in good faith, and the thief gets away scott free. Doesn't seem very just does it?

BlingBling
    Free Member

TOTW!

uplink
    Free Member

And Im not 100% sure he doesn't have just as much right to call it 'his' bike as he bought it in good faith

I am

even if he bought it in good faith he has no rights to it whatsoever

MrAgreeable

Hate to be sensible, particularly as this thread is turning into comedy gold, but:

There's a chance the chap has no idea it is stolen, and

If you try and wrestle it back off him things could get seriously ugly.

Get some sympathetic rozzers involved and don't listen to the wannabe hard men on here.

supersquirrel
    Free Member

yoohoo999's post is the funniest thing I've read this week!!!

Human rights…..fool

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I'm now also with MrA on this. Comedy gold. 🙂

Note to Grumm – NOW people are getting all riled up mate!! 😀

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

And also, I feel I ought to send my congrats to Uplink for the best thread for ages!! 😉

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

This is one of the funniest threads for ages with some of the most misconceptions I have ever seen – even on here.

The " thief" might have grounds to sue if he is not the thief and has no connection with the thief. Unlikely however

No one else in the picture would have any grounds to sue whatsoever.

Nice use of "Human rights" when it has **** all to do with the human rights act, just a bit of understanding of the law

If the " thief" bought the bike in good faith he has committed no crime – its only handling stolen goods if you know the goods are stolen.

Taking the bike back without recourse to the law is illegal – especially as it has components on it that do not belong to the OP.

Myself I'd lock it up with a big f off lock if I saw it again ( arguably illegal) leave a note on it saying why I had done this then get plod to sort it out. I'd check the legality of doing so firts. following the person home might be better.

Olly
    Free Member

LOL at yoohoo!
    seriously!!
    what the ferk?!?!!

shocker: all cameras are now illegal!

holiday snaps, ok, but you need to get all passers by to sign disclaimers.

wouldnt bother taking any pictures at somewhere like a festival, youll be there forever, and will need to have a truck load of legal documents for ALL people in your photo to sign.

that or put SAS black squares over every face in every photo ever.

but its ok for CCTV to watch us. (though the CCTV companies are up in arms, when you try and put CCTV in the CCTV monitoring rooms to check what they are CCTVing.

who watches the watchmen?!

human rights, what rights? you dont have rights.
    your sadly dissolusioned to think you do.

coogan
    Free Member

Can't believe it took TJ this long to get involved…

allthepies
    Free Member

LOL @ yoohoo.

miketually
    Free Member

I've been in that sandwich shop before; I think I might sue uplink!

+1 for what TJ said.

davidrussell
    Free Member

bagsie that BMX, its probably nicked too.

maybe it looks like a mild-mannered sandwich shop full of cheap baguettes and daily mail readers ready to sue over violated human rights, but i'll bet its an illegal bike-trafficking station.

Trimix
    Free Member

A police officer told me its quite hard to buy goods and be ignorant that they are stolen goods. If they are cheap, bought from some bloke in a pub, have no recipt etc etc it not good enough to say I didnt know they were stolen goods.

Nick the bike back, remove his bits and hand them back. Leave a note explaining it. Job done.

miketually
    Free Member

uplink, I got the delivery. the courier looked rather embarrassed 🙂

uplink
    Free Member

Cheers Mike 🙂

Don't know why she looked embarrassed though

uplink
    Free Member

Just spoke to the police

They don't have a problem with me riding it away as long as I tell them what I've done
    They are concerned about any possible confrontation but not the act of liberating it

let's see if he's there tomorrow

Trimix
    Free Member

See, a common sence response from a policeman. Perhaps the real world is not so full of politically correct, sue happy, daily mail reading idiots afterall.

yoohoo999
    Free Member

i think people have completely missed the point of my post.

the OP posted a picture of someone on a public website and then labelled that person a thief. The thread is called "photo of a bike thief" for fecksake!

I am a lawyer. We have a word to describe such actions – "defamation".

People who are talking about human rights, whale loving, tree hugging……you are missing the boat completely, human rights have absolutely bugger all to do with any of this, it's a simple legal action.

If someone posted a picture of me on a website and accused me of being a thief I would sue them.

I hope this is not too difficult for some of you to get your head around.

Jeez, some of you are complete muppets.

Just call the police, stop taking stupid pictures and putting them online you mong.

frank4short
    Free Member

Rockhopper – Member

How do you propose to possitivly identify it and prove that its yours if you don't have the frame number?

The standard of proof for stolen cars that have had numbers changed is something like 14 identifying features. By the sounds of it the OP is more than able to account for this.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 220 total)

The topic ‘Photo of a bike thief?’ is closed to new replies.