Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Phono preamps for the non audiophile
  • ibnchris

Morning all, I have a turntable I want to add to my mini system that has no built in phono preamp. So I believe I need a phono preamp to put in between the two. Looks like you can spend anything from £20 to £1000. All I want to be able to do is play records at the right volume. Can I just get the £20 one? Is the difference in price really just for those with super expensive equipment wanting to hear the subtle nuances of their tech?

gobuchul
    Free Member

If you are not bothered about hearing the “subtle nuances”, then why bother with a turntable?

the-muffin-man

Behringer one does the job just fine to get you started…

https://www.behringer.com/product.html?modelCode=P0492

…then decide if you use it enough to want to spend more.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Schiit Modi. Thank me later.

jairaj

There are not that many extra features in phono amps so yes usually the extra money is just for increased sound quality, increased build quality and premium materials.

How much is a reasonable amount to spend? Well depends on how good your currently system is as that will be the bottle neck and limiting factor in the system.

Assuming the current system is not limiting the performance. I think most people will easily hear improved sound quality as the budget increases up to £200/300 price point and then it starts to tail off up to around £500-700 price point where a lot of people don’t see much improvement in sound quality.

If your system cost a £300-400 a couple years back its probably an OK system I think you’d be justified in spending around ~£50 on the phono amp to get a good reasonable sound.

There are many Internet only sellers now selling direct to consumer through a website or through Amazon or eBay that produce value for money sound quality. I’m not up to date with the brands and models so can’t recommend any but a search on the web should give you some suggestions.

That or have a look at Richer Sounds and see what they have in their entry level selection.

Schiit Modi. Thank me later.

Isn’t that a DAC? The OP wants a phono amp? Although the Schiit brand appears to be getting some good reviews for some of their products and are at the budget end of the spectrum so is well worth a look to see if they do a phono amp.

jairaj

This heavily discounted Project Phono Box E is a good shout. Its a well established brand that has been making turntables and hifi electronics for a while now so as long as you have a moving magnet cartridge I think it’ll be hard to beat.

ibnchris

Using a Project Debut turntable with a Denon CEOL (midi system).

Answer to the Q about why use a turntable? I have 200+ vinyl. Used to have an old Pioneer amp but it died and my wife hated the ‘massive black boxes’ of my separate systems so when someone offered us a Denon CEOL it seemed a good bet. But no phono input…

jambourgie
    Free Member

Here’s mine. Had it for at least ten years so no idea if they’re still available but it’s been great. It was really cheap from memory. Moving magnet only for mine but I remember you could get another model with moving coil.

Fhh

derek_starship
    Free Member

Nice TT jamb.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Sorry, Mani not Modi

Schiit are excellent and not what I’d class as “budget”. Reviews speak for themselves.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I’ve got one of those^ Behringer and it’s fine.

ginkster

As mentioned above the main difference as cost increases will be sound quality, a few features and build. I’m not familiar with the really cheap (or expensive!) pre-amps but use a Pro-Ject Phono Box in my set-up. Pro-Ject make excellent turntables and their pre-amp has a very good reputation. It has no features – simply line in and out and a power lead. They are about £60-65 from the likes of Richer Sounds or can be found cheaper secondhand. Very happy with the sound quality from mine.

bob_summers

If you are not bothered about hearing the “subtle nuances”, then why bother with a turntable

I’m not bothered either. I use Spotify and a BT speaker most of the time.
    But: I only own vinyl, never bought CDs, and I like the faff of playing it.
    Can’t help the OP though, amp has built in phono stage.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Phono preamps for the non audiophile’ is closed to new replies.