Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • phone/internet issue. Crackling phone
  • trail_rat
    Free Member

When we connect to the internet the phone is really really crackly.

It gets worse when streaming audio or video.

when we disconect the modem from the filter it all goes away

Tried – new modem – new phone – new filter – new cables – line test and we have had a bt engineer in to check all our lines from the street in.

Tried also phoning tiscali but they are as much use as a shower of shite.

any ideas – if we cancel our tiscali and move it to another company is there any chance it will be the same ? The bt engineer reckoned this sorta thing was common at tiscali and there was probably something connected wrong in the exchange ??

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

You're being bugged.

trail_rat
    Free Member

great – someones bugging the bike shop …..

giant being code for hash of course ….

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    traildog
    Free Member

I had a problem with Tiscali where they didn't have their exchange connected correctly. It caused the phone line to be slightly crackly, and I had no broadband at all. Took about 3 months for them to sort it out and cost a load in support phone calls. Their help was useless, never rang back when they said and didn't have a clue. Terrible service, but they're cheap…

Sorry that doesn't really help you, but just felt it an good opportunity to moan about Tiscali.

cp

i've never met anyone with a good thing to say about tiscali

are you sure you have the filter and cables plugged in correctly? Do you have the phone or modem on a long long extension cable? If so, try plugging in as close as possible to the phone socket.

cp

and do you have more than one phone plugged in?

simon_g

Find your master socket, the one that looks like this:

Undo the screws to get into the bottom half of it:

The socket you can see is a test socket which is not connected to any extension wiring. Plug in a microfilter, plug your modem and a phone into the filter. Try it again.

If you're not getting the problem with it like that, something in your extension wiring is dodgy and needs investigating – that's not BT or the ISP's problem, it's yours.

If you still get the problem, it's either the microfilter (try others, some are rubbish) or a problem with the line.

I'd put money on cheap crappy microfilters or something wrong with your extensions though.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘phone/internet issue. Crackling phone’ is closed to new replies.