• This topic has 13 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by geex.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Phone won’t stop updating…..
  • alpin
    Free Member

Finally agreed to an update on my new Xperia xz1.

Updated. Phone done its thing. But then another update thing pops up. I OK it. Phone does its thing again….

Think it’s had about six updates since this afternoon.

Even enabled all the disabled apps thinking that might be the problem. The phone then spent ages updating all the crap apps (Facebook, et al) that I’ve never used, but still wants to do a software update.

Why, why, why?

seosamh77
    Free Member

turn off automatic updating in the play store.

alpin
    Free Member

The apps are not the problem. I know I can turn them off or the automatic updating.

It’s the constant Xperia system update that’s the problem.

kayak23

Mine did the same (XZ1 Compact)

Go with it, it stops. Gawd knows why it did it but yeah, eventually it’ll be happy with itself.

matt_outandabout

Mine did a couple of updates but since then fine.
    We are due Pie any day.
    XZ1 here.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

How long have you been blocking them for? What is your current software version? Sounds like it’s got a way to go to be current and is doing them sequentially. If you don’t use apps, just remove them.

cranberry
    Free Member

Well, you could have done them one at a time, over whatever period you blocked updates for.

😉

I never understand the mindset that refuses to fix the software on devices that are connected to the rest of the world and hold oodles of personal data.

Keep updated and keep your data safe.

mattyfez

I was going to say something but I think Cranberry has pretty much said what I was going to say, lol!

mattyfez

Had the joy of reinstalling windows 10 from an old vanilla image on a USB drive the other day.

Just had to walk away whilst it repeatedly downloaded sequential updates.

Note to self: obtain a newer Windows image!

alpin
    Free Member

Phone is only two weeks old. Not been near a constant WiFi since now.

Well into double digits now.

Cougar

Is it the same update each time?

If yes: is there enough space on your phone to apply it?

If no: stick at it, it’ll (probably) stop eventually. That does sound excessive though.

ajaj
    Free Member

“I never understand the mindset that refuses to fix the software on devices”

Doesn’t make economic sense. Oh, you weren’t talking about the manufacturers.

Us users have been burnt too many times; Garmin updates that break working devices, Microsoft updates that uninstall third-party apps and install spyware, Linux updates that render machines unbootable, database updates that corrupt indexes… or yesterday’s iPhone update that stops phones connecting to cellular networks.

Cougar

Us users have been burnt too many times

True, but it’s always a trade-off. Applying patches on day 1 of release is inherently risky of course (doubly so in the PC / Android world due to the vast diversity of third-party hardware). But ignoring patches for six months is plain irresponsible.

In any case, whilst you do get the odd rogue patch, the question you need to be asking is whether the risk is greater if you patch or you don’t. And I’d argue that in this day and age, certainly with security patches, the dangers of not patching far outweigh the risks in doing so.

geex
    Free Member

Sonys are weird.
    my old Z3c does something similar
    to stop it I just start the phone in safe mode and switch off system UI notifications.
    kind of a soloution rather than a fix

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Phone won’t stop updating…..’ is closed to new replies.