Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Phone upgrade time (sorry). Thinking Google Pixel 3
  • womble72
    Free Member

Upgrading from an iPhone 7+. I use the camera a lot, lightroom/Snapseed editing, a bit of social media and occasionally as a phone 😀

I’m not tied to Apple so I’m looking at google pixel 3xl as it has the best camera (important to me). Does anyone have any real world experience with the Pixel 3? I’d be interested to hear your thoughts.

TIA

supercarp

I have a pixel 2 XL and I think it is great. Quick boot up and the purist android as there are no extra software skins, closest android phone to an iPhone I have used.

And it comes with a decent warranty from Google along with android updates as soon as they are released.

kcr
    Free Member

I bought a second hand Pixel 2 because I wanted a good pocketable camera, and I’m really impressed with the quality of the photos. I assume they’ve improved the camera on the 3, so I don’t think you’ll go wrong.

cleetonator

Bought a Pixel 3 xl a few weeks ago as my Nokia 7 was in poor health (after only 7 months use).

Like it so far, very quick, very intuitive, very smooth. Another option to consider is the rumours surfacing about the pixel 3 lite and its expected release in the near future.

crazy-legs

Pixel 3 here as a recent upgrade. Phenomenal camera. Very quick start up, all good so far.

A couple of slight quirks with stupid swipe/squeeze/tap combinations where it thinks you’re trying to fire up a quick access to “something” but other than that, great phone.

cheddarchallenged
    Free Member

It’s great as long as you don’t mind Google slurping your data for their own purposes. See theregister.co.uk’s review of the pixel 2:

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/04/26/google_pixel_2_xl_what_it_means_now/?page=4

Given the volume of anti trust fines Google have already paid for behaviour that is demanding to privacy and consumer choice I wouldn’t personally be rushing to buy one of their phones.

Bimbler
    Free Member

A lot of very unhappy Google Pixel 3 users on Reddit with various issues, screen flicker seems to be the problem du jour. also a lot of people without problems. Google are meant to be good with returns etc,

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

I have been using a first gen Pixel.
    The camera is great and a lot of the “upgrades” are within software so apply to the older phones too. Pizel 1 will get next Android version too. They are excellent phones…

However, after dropping and breaking mine I have had a run of bad luck with refurbed replacements – I was happy to stick with my model, but they don’t sell new ones.
    Second one wouldn’t connect to wifi. Laptops Direct have been a real pain in the ass about returning it. Especially after the first one they send was very badly damaged (though not really the phone’s fault)

Got a third one and all seemed to work well until I tried to make a phone call. The mic/earpiece doesn’t work so either the phone app crashes or the person on the other end can’t hear you and vice versa, unless you’re on speakerphone or bluetooth. It also won’t play videos….?
    We will see how Grade Outlet deal with the return.

So back to using my old Moto G with the cracked screen for now.

That probably doesn’t help.

They are good phones though!

spacemonkey

I went from an iP7+ to an XR. General performance is exceptional but IMO the camera is nothing special. Struggles with anything moving for a start. So if photography is your thang then I’d put the XR on the ‘walk on by’ list.

markoc1984

I’ve got a Pixel 3 XL and really like it, the camera is amazing, very quick phone, Android with no tinkering by phone companies is really nice. It’s not superfast down Strava segments which is annoying but I think that might be another personal issue.
    I had an issue with the USB port coming loose, contacted Google and they sent me a replacement under warranty no questions asked and I had to post it off and I got it back within a week and couriers paid for by Google both ways. Although a week with a 6 year old rubbish phone that I borrowed from a friend showed me just how much difference a modern phone makes.
    The videos of the new Huawei P30 look good, very good night time camera. My wife loves her P20 although Huawei phones don’t like Strava much.

winston
    Free Member

Had a Pixel 3 since December. It replaced a succession of Samsung phones as I was getting annoyed with the bloatware and the stupid rounded glass edges.

It is certainly the best phone I’ve had in many respects – camera is great, the overall user experience is very good with an excellent UI and as I’ve got the smaller one, its just the right size for me.

However, it does have bugs. I had the screen flash to start with which was really annoying, though that seems to have been fixed on an update. The fingerprint sensor is now starting to play up and sometimes the screen doesn’t shut off when you put it in a case (I have a slipcase to protect it as I hate screen protectors)

One thing they really annoyed me was that my fast wireless charger now only charges slowly as google have throttled this unless you buy their silly overpriced assistant dock.

I don’t find the ‘squeeze sides’ a problem as I just dialled the sensitivity right down. But I also don’t see the point of them.

It has slightly less bloat ware but still seems to eat up storage space on bollox and it hasn’t got a SD slot so buy the bigger memory one.

Overall I would rate it 8/10

Samsung make better phones but I just hate the UI and the bollox they come with and the stupid rounded sides which make it impossible to hold without activating something!

mudder
    Free Member

Another strong vote for the Google Pixel 2 XL, probably best Android phone I have owned.
    Completely agree with previous comments.

womble72
    Free Member

Thanks for the input. I’ve had Apple for years and took a break with a Somy Xperia which I liked but after I broke the phone by forgetting it was in my back pocket when I sat down, i was loaned an iPhone and just stuck with it. I think it’s more likely now that I’ll upgrade to the P3xl. Just need to find a decent case for one now 😀

Flaperon

I have a Pixel 3. Camera is excellent, little bloatware (although that will change sort of with Q as every activity gets an icon in the launcher), fairly nippy.

Battery life isn’t brilliant, you still get ads in Google apps – really, Google? – and you might prefer the photos from the competitors.

I’d say buy an Honor P9 for half the price and get 99% of the phone.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Phone upgrade time (sorry). Thinking Google Pixel 3’ is closed to new replies.