Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Phone upgrade – is this stupid?
  • BobaFatt
    Free Member

Had an HTC One (X or S, the model escapes me) for the last two years, prior to that I had the HTC Desire. I know I’m definitely not buying another HTC, they’re way too quick to drop the handset from software updates as quickly as a new model comes out. Also, and maybe it’s just my model, but it has too many quirks that you just don’t get with other phones.

So, iphone is what I was planning to go for. Obviously the 6 is likely to be out around September, but I’m not planning on paying anymore than about £30 a month so the handset is likely to cost around £150. But am I doing myself a disservice by going for the 5S now? or should I really care a lot less about this?? 😀

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

If you have the money up front then buy a moto G or Nexus 5 and stick a cheap 30 day rolling contract sim in it. It will pay for it’s self easily withing the first year. The nexus 6 is looming so the chances are the 5 will be slashed in the not too distant future. The moto G is a no brainer. The iphone is a great phone but carries an unnecessary premium price tag that folks with with cash to splash are willing to pay.

njee20
    Free Member

How will it pay for itself? It’ll be cheaper, yes. That’s about it.

If you want an iPhone then go nuts, there’s perpetually a new one around the corner, so I’d not get too hung up on that. Relatively unlikely they’ll suddenly half in price. One thing I found looking at the 5S was that (O2 at least) contracts were bloody expensive because they were all geared to 4G, which doesn’t interest me In the least.

muggomagic

iPhone 6 will cost around £200 up front on pretty much any contract south of £40 p/m when it 1st comes out. The 5s is a nice phone, but I’d be tempted to do as said above and go for a 30 day rolling until the price of the 6 comes down a bit. If not take a look at the HTC One M8 really good phone and you can probably look on HTC site and see how long they will support it with upgrades for or the LG G3

loddrik
    Free Member

Depends if you need a bigger screen or not. Iphone 6 will have a 4.7″ screen.

somouk
    Free Member

I wouldn’t fuss about the 5S, wait out for the 6. Rumours are holiday being cancelled in Apple stores around the 19th of September so most likely announced on the 9th September to be released on the 19th.

Get one, if you don’t like it then sell it and buy a Galaxy S5.

isitafox
    Free Member

If you want instant updates when they’re available and no excess software then I’d say go for a Nexus 5. Got one for my wife a few months back and I love it, wish it was out when I upgraded!

jam-bo

The 5 and the 5s will still be good phones on September 10th.

everyone
    Free Member

Have you thought about windows phones? The Lumia series are fantastic phones.

unovolo
    Free Member

Don’t see why anyone would pay a premium to own a iphone anymore, several other brands that are doing phones that are easily the equal without the premium.

And yes I do have a iPhone for work(its uses a app for the majority of our work that is only designed for IOS).

Personally I have a Lumia 925 and prefer it, prior to that I had a Lumia 520,Lumia 800, HTC desire, HTC Hero so have experience of other brands/models to compare the eco systems.

If you need/want a iphone for the whole IOS ecosystem then fair play but I’d have a good look at what others have to offer.

popstar
    Free Member

As overall package Apple phones are excellent, but overpriced. I ve got htc m8 and after using it realised there is not much difference to my previous iphone. So not apple fanboi anymore, although our household has 2 iPads, and Mac.

I won’t pay any extra premium from now on. HTC has got the best media experience with awesome sound, Samsung have best brightest OLED screens, Nokia has got best camera while Iphone … well its average and its good at it.

IMHO

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Just picked up a Nexus 5 outright. Great phone out the box, set up in under 30 minutes with all the apps I had on my Galaxy S3. It’s lightening quick and in most comparisons equal to most of the competition including the Iphone. Except for the fact it’s half the price. £300/16gb or £330 for the 32gb compared to £550/£630 for the Iphone 5s they are still selling the 4s 8Gb for £350!!!

So if you can get a decent contract or month by month I’d be going with the Nexus (and I am)

Cougar

You could root your One X and stick Kitkat on it, satisfying both of your cited reasons for upgrading whilst saving 100%.

We can split the difference on the £500 I’ve just saved you if you like.

jam-bo

Don’t see why anyone would pay a premium to own a iphone anymore

is there really a premium? pick a top of the line phone just after launch from any of the big manufacturers and they are all much the same price.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Except the Nexus which is half the price and at least equal in spec.

traildog
    Free Member

I have a Nexus 5 and I wouldn’t say it’s quite equal spec. to the top phones. It’s just that the Spec is good enough to compete in real life and it’s not fighting the premium phone market where a few extra mega pixels on the camera, for example seems to mean everything. And it’s probably quicker in real life use because the software is cut right back on it.

Lots of people like the iPhone but I personally think you need to be an Apple fanboy because it’s so expensive. Yes, it’s a premium product and well built, but I think the software is lacking behind at the moment. If I was going that route I’d certainly want a bigger screen which means 6.

If the phone still works then I’d either stick with it or root it and stick an update on. What are the quirks? My wife is still using her Desire and does exactly what she wants and has lasted years

loddrik
    Free Member

I use ios devices as I find them far and away the nicest to use. Does that make me a ‘fanboy’..?

Both my cars are VW’s, does that make me a VW fanboy? 😕

Seems to be that anyone who swears by apple products attracts derision on here. Apple does indeed charge more for their products, but due to their popularity, they must be worth it or no one would buy them.

Oh hang on, it’s because apple has ‘brainwashed’ us all into paying over the odds for an ‘inferior’ product.

My experiences of android on galaxy S4’s is that it’s slowish, a little rough and just nowhere as nice to use as ios.

brassneck

If you want instant updates when they’re available and no excess software then I’d say go for a Nexus 5. Got one for my wife a few months back and I love it, wish it was out when I upgraded!

Had one for about a year now. Prefer iPhones to be honest, and the Nexus has proved a touch fragile. Spec means nothing if the user experience isn’t what you like. It does everything very well, just not to my preference, and I have a reasonably large investment in App Store that I’ve missed using this (I have it as a BYOD trial for work, plus a ‘real’ work iPhone). If you have no preference either way, it’s really good value.

Think I’ll hang on for the 6 launch though, as even if there is nothing screaming buy me on it, the 5s will drop a few quid.

jam-bo

Seems to be that anyone who swears by apple products attracts derision on here. Apple does indeed charge more for their products, but due to their popularity, they must be worth it or no one would buy them.

I don’t swear by them, but they make it very easy to stick with them.

When the new iphone comes out, O2 will more than likely phone me up and offer me the new iphone at little additional cost and ship it to my door the next day. I’ll plug it in and all my apps, contacts and messages will be there waiting for me. Then I’ll sell my 2 yr old iphone 5 for ~£200. I’m sure other manufacturers could offer me a similar experience but I really can’t be bothered to find out.

molgrips
    Free Member

No need to spend £200 up-front on a contract phone any more, the slightly older or slightly less powerful one are so good.

Seems to be that anyone who swears by apple products attracts derision on here.

It’s because many of them are fanatical, and frankly annoying. Sure, iPhones are good, but so are other products.

You could root your One X and stick Kitkat on it

You can’t do some things with rooted phones, like online banking or accessing work email (in some cases).

jam-bo

It’s because many of them are fanatical, and frankly annoying.

to be fair, thats not just applicable to phones…

molgrips
    Free Member

True.. also works for singlespeeders and fatbike owners…

Cougar

When the new iphone comes out, O2 will more than likely phone me up and offer me the new iphone at little additional cost

You do realise, don’t you, that this “little additional cost” will be in the region of an extra £600? They don’t just give out free phones, you pay for it on the drip over two years.

jam-bo

fine. little additional monthly cost.

In fact last time my monthly bill went down.

and I put it through expenses…

Cougar

It’ll be an additional 20 quid a month or so over not buying a new one.

jambalaya
    Free Member

OP the 5C and 5S are good phones and will still be good phones when the 6 comes out as others have posted. You might like to look at a second hand one (make sure it’s unlocked) and then just get a £12-ish rolling monthly contract. I am waiting for the 6 but I suspect some people may not like the slightly larger screen.

jam-bo

It’ll be an additional 20 quid a month or so over not buying a new one.

and if it was my money i’d be keeping the 5 and moving to a cheaper contract. thanks for you help though.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Phone upgrade – is this stupid?’ is closed to new replies.