Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Phone coverage int'country
  • HeathenWoods
    Free Member

Thinking of changing networks from 02 but looking at coverage maps of other netwroks their network coverage away from towns/main roads looks a bit patchy.

What epxperiences have people have of getting a signal when out'n'about? From people around I've got the following idea:
    O2 – pretty good
    T-Mobile, Vodaphone – okay
    Orange, Virgin, 3 – nae good.

druidh
    Free Member

O2 & Vodafone are streets ahead of the rest – especially where the streets start to run out.

HeathenWoods
    Free Member

Aha – so T-Mobile don't make the cut (I think I just hoped they did out of happy memories of Der Kaiser and his myspace page)

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    bassspine
    Free Member

orange coverage is pants in Devon. I like it because my work number is my mobile and I'm 'safe' at home with no signal

Creg

Orange is the only one that work around here (north yorkshire).

O2 is very patchy, the rest are shit

HeathenWoods
    Free Member

Well that's a spanner in the works Creg! lol.

I like your thinking bassspine but missus heathen has said she wouldn't think it were that clever when I'm "lying in some valley with a broken leg, dying of exposure." Very dramatic turn of phrase has mrs H

druidh
    Free Member

The problem with remote valleys is that reception is universally shite. Now – if you can climb half-way up a hill with a broken leg, you have a chance.

andrewh
    Free Member

I have Orange, GF has O2.

Hers works in here in Lincolnshire, mine doesn't
    Mine works in Shropshire, hers doesn't.

Which area are you most concerned with? Get the most detailed coverage map for that area you can find.

Slightly OT, correct me if I'm wrong but a 999 call can hijack any network, whichever has the best signal rather than whichever your contract is with? The principal is the same when roaming abroad, why can't the regulators get the networks to do something like that for regular calls? They can make them bring down the cost of international calls, complete waste of time, only helps those who can afford foreign holidays and no doubt the networks will put up the prices for the rest of us to compensate.

Drac

Vodafone is excellent I find, usually if I have signal on Vodafone then no one has one but so many times I have one and others don't. Orange isn't very good at all but not too terrible.

grantway
    Free Member

Just changed from Orange to Vodafone
    When in Wales Coed Y Brenin Orange was only
    phone to have coverage.
    T-Mobile ok in city places like London
    and Virgin use T-Mobiles net work.

Il say Vodaphone be the best coverage.

Drac

When in Wales Coed Y Brenin Orange was only phone to have coverage.

Never had a problem there with Vodafone. 😯

HeathenWoods
    Free Member

Fair point druidh 🙂
    And andrewh! I'd forgotten how emergency signals worked on mobiles.

Drac and grantway too. I think vodaphone is edging it a little with o2 a close second.

Which area are you most concerned with? Get the most detailed coverage map for that area you can find.

Where I live has fairly uniform cover (Derby), as has where we're thinking of moving (Belper) but it's the rest of the UK, particularly the hilly bits that I was wondering about.

jd-boy
    Free Member

O2, 97% of the time. Orange. dont even turn it on its a waste of time.if it works, it works it the most abstracted of places.

When Im in the States I get coverage 85% of the time with roaming on my 02

I would go with O2 or Vodaphone, as your best providers, worked in the industry for almost 16 years as a cellphone enginner and Cellnet, now O2 were always the best.been 0n Secircor/cellnet/02, 26years and happy.

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

T-Mobile & Vodafone work best where I live & play, the others are non-existent due to being in a dip.

Northwind

Orange seem to be the best up here… Does anyone know how effective/accurate those coverage websites are?

HeathenWoods
    Free Member

Ha. So it does vary a bit. I can see dave_r's in zummerzet but where's "here" Northwind?

Northwind

Oh sorry, I forgot this site doesn't show a location. Edinburgh, but seems to be the case all through the tweed valley and lowlands.

becky_kirk43
    Free Member

I'm on Orange, there are some random places where I don't get signal, but I've always had it when it matters (e.g. when my car broke down in the middle of no-where!) as well as in various places riding and walking and no one else could get signal. Used to be on t-mobile and never really had a problem

BrianSampson
    Free Member

When in North Devon Vodafone is the only option 😉

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Vodafone is the only option for Scottish Highlands. Back in the days of only Vodafone and Cellnet they did a sole suplier deal with the Highlands and Islands Development Council which gave them 5 years with no competition. Their network has been way ahead ever since. Having said that it is all 2G rather than 3G.

[pedant] it is VodaFone not Vodaphone [/pedant]

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Phone coverage int'country’ is closed to new replies.