Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 82 total)
  • Phobias. What ya got?
  • Harry_the_Spider

I’m needle phobic, which makes things awkward as my daughter is Type 1 Diabetic and requires 5 injections a day. I’m ok if I give the jabs myself, but I don’t like watching other people handle the needles, be it screwing the tops on, administering the insulin or disposing of the spent needle. Strange.

I bring this up because today I had my “well man” check-up (get yourselves checked boys and girls) which required taking a blood sample and I nearly keeled over. My pulse reading went up and apparently I changed colour.

What sends your thumbs weird?

cinnamon_girl

Dead birds. 🙁

MrSmith
    Free Member

Electricity. It’s evil and you can’t see it’s there.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

cinnamon_girl – Member

Dead birds.

What about dead badgers ?

Harry_the_Spider

Alfred Hitchcock never made a film called The Badgers, although this gives Jamie and Binners an opportunity to get creative with their e-crayons.

stewartc
    Free Member

Polystyrene, specifically the noise of it rubbing against anything or together.
    I try to get the wife to unpack any new stuff wrapped in it, it does fill me full of dread.

cinnamon_girl

What about dead badgers ?

😀

Seriously I’ve seen myself turn around on a trail when there’s a dead bird lying there. 😳

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Big feet on laydeez.

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

I’m scared of Lions and Tigers.

Liftman

Heights

mudshark
    Free Member

Heights is my only proper one – I get dizzy just watching on TV if the camera is point down from a great height.

I am really bothered by people with colds though, can’t be near them, and if somoene coughs in my general direction without covering their mouth I get quite wound up.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I’m also scared of being fisted.

No phobias here.

All my fears are completely rational:-)

rocketman
    Free Member

Heights or more specifically exposed heights.

Climbing ladders, tall buildings, flying no probs. Big drop off the side of a hill sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet

Probably stems from my early days in the hills when I was sitting on a ledge dangling my feet into space (as you do) and I dropped my lens cap. I can see it now falling down, down down…

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I’m scared of Lions and Tigers.

That’s not really irrational though is it ?

Unless you want to describe what you think lions and tigers look like ?

And no, they don’t look like this :

banks
    Free Member

+1 polystyrene

toys19
    Free Member

heights, flying, dying (me or the loved ones), and not getting thin..

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Crowded rooms

cheekyboy
    Free Member

Custard pies, blancmange !

Angel delights ok though

Harry_the_Spider

I’m also scared of being fisted.

By a lady with big feet? You need to start hanging around in different bars.

PhilO
    Free Member

I have an aversion to making ‘phone calls which verges on a phobia. Generally ok once talking, but I find initiating a conversation quite hard. It’s an order of magnitude worse if anybody else can hear me – which made my employer’s recent change to Open Plan a particular PITA.

I now work from home whenever possible, and try to save any phone calls for then. 😕

pictonroad

repeating organic patterns. It’s a made up phobia called trypophobia but the following make me fall to the ground and squirm
    Surinam toads
    Lotus seed heads
    some coral

*gags*

edit, apparently it’s now a ‘real’ thing

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/are-you-afraid-of-holes/

jock-muttley

Heights, 6ft up a ladder can see me whimpering unless I really tell myself to get a grip then I can climb to say the eaves of a house if I have to. Video footage of big drops makes my skin crawl. Been like that ever since I flipped upside down on an abseil at the top of a 120ft cliff.

Weirdly enough after that I was happy to sit in the door positions on military Lynx & Puma helicopters with no worries at all as they were thrown about the countryside, so I know it’s purely psychological so I try and combat it where possible. I’ve done a few rock climbs but the abseil was too much. The climbing instructor says that I should try indoors or from halfway at first as he said it was probably exposure related, if I have some thing to look at then I would be ok (ish).

Would have a fear of flying but realised I don’t, I have a fear of hitting the ground at extremely high speed, culminating in a fireball
    edit

Don’t know whether that’s a phobia or an allergy though,…

zippykona

Large ship propellers. My mate showed me a picture of him diving a wreck where the blades were a lot bigger than him.
    The fact he was touching the blade nearly made me heave.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Steep hills 🙄

maccruiskeen

Actors

They really make me uncomfortable. Couldn’t figure out why for a long time – happy to watch a musician or a comedian on stage but I get I freaked out by pretending. I think its the idea that they’re lying, everyone in the room knows they’re lying, they know everyone knows they’re lying – but they carry on lying anyway. I just find that really awkward.

For a long time I found Dates quite repellent even though I couldn’t remember having actually eaten any (I hadn’t realised they were in sticky toffee pudding). Really squeamish about them – like being asked to put a beetle in your mouth. Then it dawned on me watching telly at Christmas it was because they’d killed the evil spy monkey in Raiders of the Lost Ark.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qIMTA4_YdU[/video]

craigxxl
    Free Member

Woodlice make me physically shake. Can’t explain it as no other creepy crawler has the same effect on me.

twinw4ll
    Free Member

Too big a head on my ale.

PiknMix
    Free Member

Balloons and those rulers you used to get where the picture changed when you tilted it.

jock-muttley

I have an aversion to making ‘phone calls which verges on a phobia. Generally ok once talking, but I find initiating a conversation quite hard. It’s an order of magnitude worse if anybody else can hear me – which made my employer’s recent change to Open Plan a particular PITA.

PhilO I hear you bro… Similar issue, but opposite way around hate it at home but fine in an office work environment, ok at home once I get going though. Have the same issue receiving calls. Never though of this as a phobia till you mentioned it and the I thought yip I do that. I suspect I know the underlying reason for my reluctance too, but that’s for another time. Well and bravely spoken mate

Giz a buzz when you got a mo will ya.

Actually if you can man up PhilO then so can I, I pretty sure my telephone reluctance stems from the abuse I suffered at the hands of my ex wife, she used to ring and me at work at least 3-4 times a day, if I didn’t answer then she’d just ring and ring and ring, If I was working away ( which I did quite a bit) and off duty then the call frequency would increase to about once a hour. If I didn’t answer then she’d ring constantly until I did, or she would start on the landlines of the hotel or site I was working at. No mobile service simply meant that by the time she got hold of me she was in an apoplectic rage… God help me if she heard a female voice in the background or the sound of glasses in a bar. If I didn’t ring her at least 3 or 4 times a day then I was for it too. She basically was a total control freak. It’s only now in hindsight that I’m in a normal loving relationship with a brilliant lass I realise just how manipulative and abusive a she was ( mental, physical, emotional & financial) maybe one day, I’ll unburden … Sorry for the thread hijack.

DirtyLyle
    Free Member

Nail files, and people filing their nails.
    Action man hair.
    Big sponge fingers.

Possibly all related, as they all make me cringe in the same way. Freak me the **** out.

Kit
    Free Member

Choking – I spend ages chewing my food and any meds I get I either need to chew them or get a liquid prep (which is often).

Heights!

pictonroad

picture change rulers!

makes my tongue itch thinking about them… aaahhh!

Sui
    Free Member

none, there’s things I’d rather avoid, but nothing that turns me into a shivering wreck..

Phobias are a natural way of telling you something isn’t right, so stay away, however some phobias are brought about by previous exposure scenarios are they not (i.e. learned responses)?

atlaz
    Free Member

I worked with a bloke who had a bird phobia so bad that he couldn’t eat poultry unless it was carved so if you got, say, quail at a meal, he’d either have to special order something else or have it taken off the bone before it came to the table. Even then he’d be a bit stressed by the presence of the carcass on the rest of our plates.

Even better he had a mate who had a button phobia. He couldn’t have clothes with buttons on them or he’d have a panic attack. I can only assume they met at some strange phobia support group.

Lester
    Free Member

i have a phobia of spiders in arab countries,
    i think its called iraqnophobia

brant
    Free Member

Things that are larger than life.

Like big models of stuff.

See also those Washing Powder tablets that look like massive paracetamol.

Give me the creeps.

jekkyl

I have a strange one, I can’t face a wall at close range with my eyes closed. I get like a funny feeling between my eyes if I’m close up to a wall with my eyes shut. If we go to a hotel and then bed’s next to a wall I have to move it away or I can allay it a little bit by putting my hand between my face and the wall.

Dangerboy
    Free Member

Commitment, apparently.

Coyote
    Free Member

Moths.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 82 total)

The topic ‘Phobias. What ya got?’ is closed to new replies.