Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Phillips Park spoilers
  • DAVE66
    Free Member

I Went for a quick ride at Phillips Park around 5 till 7 last night and have to say the trails were fine but some real idiots knocking about.
    1. Several kids riding wrong way up the section with two large tabletops, had to avoid them
    2. Same spot, gang of scallies sat on the jumps having a “smoke” (didn’t move for me)
    3. More scallies hiding in bushes on both sides near the big step up on the car park side top section.
    4. Then two riders were stopped chatting on the track at the entry to a fast berm, not making any effort to get out of the way.
    Just a warning to watch how you go there.
    I’m Not sure everyone respects the one way and no walking signs even though clearly marked.
    Great place to throw your bike around though 🙂

Harry_the_Spider

Is this the Clayton Vale Phillips Park or the Whitefield Philips Park?

DAVE66
    Free Member

Whitefield, I only know that one to be honest.
    First time I’ve ever felt wary about being mugged for my bike and I’ve been riding since the 80s.
    I’d be cautious about going at that time again by myself. I tend to go very early as a rule.

terrahawk
    Free Member

Get a grip man.

were you approached or threatened in anyway? Were you even spoken to by anyone?

Or are you a little bit paranoid?

I’m out in Philips 2 or 3 times a week on my own. sure there are lads riding and some of them are having a smoke, but I don’t think they’re planning to harm anyone.

Not moving out of the way on an 8 foot wide trail doesn’t make someone an ‘idiot’ either.

terrahawk
    Free Member

Oh and I was there at about 6 yesterday and there seemed to be a lot of riders out. quite pleasing to see.

binners

I regularly ride through on my own on the way back from work. I’ve never had any issues. Yes there are some yoots lurking about, but I’ve found a friendly ‘alright lads’ tends to get a similar response, and maybe a bit of banter, rather than any threats

terrahawk
    Free Member

hang on….

Several kids riding wrong way up the section with two large tabletops, had to avoid them

are you sure they weren’t Chipps and Dave?

Junkyard
    Free Member

Who ride around with tabletops MADNESS

What binners says and the best thing about them is they almost always share if you ask them 😉

DAVE66
    Free Member

As I said just be “aware”, tear arseing into a turn or jump to find someone on it is well worth pointing out.
    The trail was a singletrack corner, not 8 foot wide. I know the difference between kids mucking about and scallies smokin pot on a table top and squatting in bushes??
    And you are an “idiot” if you stand on a “marked” trail where you know bikes are moving at speed.
    You must have been lucky and not come across any problems last night,
    (As I haven’t before)
    Doesn’t make me wrong for bringing it to attention.
    Just because you saw nothing doesn’t mean I need to get a grip.
    For the record I have never had any issues till last night there and stated it’s a “great place” to ride.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

4. Then two riders were stopped chatting on the track at the entry to a fast berm, not making any effort to get out of the way

that’s what you are supposed to do at trail centres, isn’t it? 😉

DAVE66
    Free Member

“that’s what you are supposed to do at trail centres, isn’t it?”
    Nuf said 🙂

binners

that’s what you are supposed to do at trail centres, isn’t it?

I think you’re also meant to leave your fully XTR-kitted carbon Nomad across the trail while you pass the time of day 😉

Harry_the_Spider

See the Pub Ride thead if anyone wants to come for a spin. Bring guns.

xherbivorex
    Free Member

hmm.
    two things here- firstly, i think that maybe the OP has made the mistake of posting a “what if…” type thing- nothing untoward actually happened last night, so there’s no harm done. however i can sort of understand why you’d want to bring it to the attention of folks, just so that maybe they can be a little bit on their guard in future.
    having said that, i’d suggest that some of you are maybe being a little bit hard on him, but since this is STW after all, then it’s totally expected!

oh, and FWIW we didn’t see anybody in there at all on monday night except for a couple of dog walkers, and they were down in the valley bottom by the viaduct rather than on the new trails…

DAVE66
    Free Member

Safety in numbers 😉
    Body armour??

binners

I’m putting Ben Hur style spinning knives on my wheels for Monday night

DAVE66
    Free Member

Hey thanks for the fair comment, this is STW and its the same on other forums.
    I’m a dad of two first and a cyclist second.
    I’ve raced Mtb , road and crits. So I’m not a “new” breed cyclist.
    It’s all just riding to me and if I can stop someone getting hurt but get some stick …. Arsed!
    Ride safe 😉

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Phillips Park spoilers’ is closed to new replies.