Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • Phillips Park – careful now…
  • Been enjoying Phillips Park, Manchester recently, but a couple of words of caution:

Went middle of last week, about 4.45, noone else there – both red routes had stones piled on the track at a couple of points (which I cleared when I saw them). Someone as slow as me not as much of a prob, but anyone hammering it round could have easily come off. If you’re first on watch out on your first run just in case

Tree down blocking the start of the right-hand red route (deliberate or not? couldn’t work it out)

Harry_the_Spider

Was there with Binners on Monday night this week (same again next week – see other thread).

All was clear.

RustySpanner

Whereabouts exactly?

The old disused railway on the Radcliffe side (over the motorway bridge) used to get a little bit of this, but nothing serious.

Was quite good fun at times.

Might be down there this afternoon, will keep an eye open.

On the rollercoaster trail (the one you can enter from the carpark) the rocks were piled up just on the downslope of the second jump, which could have been nasty
    On the other run they were on a bend not far from the end – this one’s a bit more open so easier to see what’s coming so not as bad

Harry_the_Spider

Morons. Good work in shifting it.

xherbivorex
    Free Member

yeah, that could be pretty dodgy. you’re not all that far from the M60 at that point.

D0NK

this reminds me why I don’t often ride the jump/fade at the bottom bit (near stream crossing) on the way to work, never know who’s been leaving rocks/logs.

Dicks!

acidchunks

Will be riding up after work tonight, will take it easy on the first lap!

Thanks for the heads up 🙂

MartynS

There last night, tree down at the start of the right hand red. Didn’t see any other problems. Think the tree had gone over in the wind, it’ll take a bit of shifting!

binners

Are you sure they weren’t Derek Starships cobblers?

bounce

Just to echo the thanks for the warning – and has anyone had a look at how the other trail in Clayton Vale are coming along? Mid-may opening apparently. Mancs is becoming the capital of inner city MTB.

xherbivorex
    Free Member

the pump track/skills area in the other Phillips Park (the one next to the National Cycling Centre/Clayton Vale) officially opened last week but the trails in Clayton Vale itself aren’t open until the middle of next month, as you rightly say. I’ve not been to see what they’re looking like but a mate of mine goes running around the vale and he said a while back that although they’re looking good, there appears to have been a few quad bikes/crossers ripping them up a bit already. which is a shame/annoying.

Scapegoat

Went last Wednesday and there were some logs/branches pulled across the red on the side accessed from the enormous pubic bone statue. Just after the flat topped jump, before you get to the loose bermed corner.

Scapegoat

Mind you, we’ve also met four lads on a 125cc bike down by the stream crossing, a man walking two dogs on the steep downhill on the red jump side , about a third from the end, and last week a guy on what may have been a hybrid riding back the other way in excatly the same place….. so not a place to thrash blind strava segments on perhaps.

Harry_the_Spider

the enormous pubic bone statue

I think it looks like this.

I slap it for good luck as I ride under it. 😉

Fantastic!
    “Diamondbacks are Forever” perhaps

binners

There’s a sort of similarity to that Harry. But the girl was from Burnley maybe, and had had a few more visits to Greggs. More, sort of….

I’m keeping with your tradition of giving it a slap for luck as I go under it anyway 😀

acidchunks

Nothing on the trail last night with the exception of the massive fallen tree on the 1st berm of the 2nd loop.

Trails are still riding nice but noticed the dreaded braking bumps are starting to appear. No point moaning about it though, they’re like death and taxes…also I’m less arsed than I used to be about such things now I’ve got a bouncy back end…

Anyone know who’s handling the maintenance of the trails? I’d happily volunteer to help out if someone can point me in the right direction.

Harry_the_Spider

I’ve reported the downed tree to the bloke at the council and he is sending out somebody to shift it. They were making noises about trail maintenance but i don’t know what is happening. Waterdale gets a sweep and litterpick before HTN but i think that is about it.

Pook

Mancs is becoming the capital of inner city MTB.

No it isn’t 😉

[video]http://vimeo.com/52627717[/video]

Harry_the_Spider

Tree update.

Tree gone.

bounce

Hope Clayton Vale turns out as good as that Sheffield track looks

acidchunks

Tree update.

Tree gone.

😀

will keep eyes and ears open re maintenance. Cheers for the info

hora
    Free Member

Even though its an open forum Im not allowed to make a critical comment. One part of the trail is really crying out for a berm- top/just before the concrete faced tabletop. Fail to clear the bend and rheres a big tree at the bottom/right

scaled
    Free Member

Carrying any more speed in to that jump is bad…

simmy
    Free Member

Any truth in the CS gas rumours at Phillips Park Prestwich ?

Harry_the_Spider

No truth at all.

That allegedly* happened in Phillips Park, Manchester. This is Philips Park, Bury.

*Don’t know if it did or whether it is just another rumour. It definitely didn’t happen in Philips as the head of the parks dept confirmed the other week.

simmy
    Free Member

Yeah thought it would have been at least on in the media if it had happened – just another urban myth.

Scapegoat

Went again on Saturday…. looks like someone’s been round on a crosser or similar. 😥 The hard edge of that big jump on the anti-clockwise bit is missing in places, and the braking bumps are shaping up nicely.

There were three lads on catalogue specials in the afternoon. I told my mate off for voicing his opinion of how welcome they were, then changed my mind a little when I had to take massive avoiding action as they rode up the berm right by the side of the motorway as I was paggering down it. Tested the brakes and cured my constipation at the same time. The lad in the lead looked like he had learned his mistake….

Are there any chances to volunteer for a bit of maintenance?

vickypea
    Free Member

I once came across 3 berks in 3 separate places riding the wrong way round, against the arrows.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Are there any chances to volunteer for a bit of maintenance?

I think the council are keen to see a trail maintenance group at Phillips Park. It could also open up new trail building as it seems the on going maintenance issue it constricting what they are willing to do.

Put in some links to PMBA and the Gisburn trail builders to get insurance, training and best practice and there could be a decent network of new linking trails established through the council area (Ramsbottom to Prestwich)

How many people would be interested?

d4ddydo666
    Free Member

Interested! PM me if you get owt for this? I don’t exactly hawk t’forum but am deffo up for it.

Also re Phillips Park – Really want to get in on HTN but seems you have to know the organisers to be told when it opens or sumat, yesno?

There’s enough riding at Clayton to make a trip if you’re within the M60 – I was there over Easter with the pups and the trail builders were v helpful, encouraging them to try what was already laid. Also would recommend a recon’ first lap as there was much broken glass over obstacles and whatnot. Is this a Manc thing or does everywhere suffer such degenerates? 🙁

That Sheffield trail looks lovely. Will I find a Soul waiting by a tree for me?

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

Went to Clayton Vale last Thursday night, would say 2/3rds complete. For what they had to play with its bloody outstanding, some super fast twisty single track and some tech downhill sections if you ride them at speed, its going to be MINTBALL!!

acidchunks

Big n daft, as posted above count me in for some spade work.

funkrodent

Happy to get involved with some digging. Please keep me posted.
    On a separate note, I can testify to the importance of keeping speed down on the rock tipped tabletop on the anti-clockwise loop, with a couple of chipped teeth and a crushed helmet as evidence.. 🙂

Harry_the_Spider

Also re Phillips Park – Really want to get in on HTN but seems you have to know the organisers to be told when it opens or sumat, yesno?

Not entirely sure what you mean there.

d4ddydo666
    Free Member

I don’t spend much time farting aboot on t’web but a friend had told me about HTN a while back, tried to find out more, no mailing list options, came and went with me missing it by, emailed to request a heads up when it is next on and nowt in response. Ergo suspicions of secret handshake 😉 The eldest pup is up for a go too, she’ll be 7 by then…

vincienup
    Free Member

Um. Man with two dogs (around 6 last Thursday) might have been me with mine.
    First time I’d been there and dogs had been in car with me all afty so took them for a quick run round one side of the red before getting my bike out to get a look at what was out there. They were on short leads, no one seemed to be riding at that point and I was keeping a paranoid eye/ear out for incoming. Was passed by a couple of bikes just before I vacated but we were off to the side well before any chance of impact. Apologies if we upset anyone.
    Tree was annoying – glad to hear its gone!
    Good venue! Love to revisit…
    I’ve never been too sure where things stand with crossers. Obviously they have a lot more damage potential and are dangerous around non-motorised users but certainly around here the police are actively chasing them out of the woods and open spaces, up north they’re actively chased off the NY Moors. They need somewhere to ride of their own if they’re going to stay away from ‘our’ places. Do they not have any? I’ve never really looked as I don’t ride one. There was a whole squad ripping up by the Bike Repair Hut at Hamsterley a few weeks ago and I’ve come across them quite often on sections of the TPT.

Harry_the_Spider

d4ddydo666 – Member

I don’t spend much time farting aboot on t’web but a friend had told me about HTN a while back, tried to find out more, no mailing list options, came and went with me missing it by, emailed to request a heads up when it is next on and nowt in response. Ergo suspicions of secret handshake The eldest pup is up for a go too, she’ll be 7 by then…

We don’t advertise it because it sells out every year after a couple of threads on here and a mail shot to all of the previous entrants. No suspicious handshakes needed. You need to “fart aboot on t’web” around the end of October to find out what is going on.

Harry_the_Spider

They need somewhere to ride of their own if they’re going to stay away from ‘our’ places. Do they not have any?

Yes, they do.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘Phillips Park – careful now…’ is closed to new replies.