Philips Hue hub with Zigbee compatible lamps

Home Forum Chat Forum Philips Hue hub with Zigbee compatible lamps

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Philips Hue hub with Zigbee compatible lamps
  • Premier Icon MikeG
    Subscriber

I’ve got a mix of hue and osram lightify bulbs connected through a version 1 hue hub. They initially worked together very well but as I’ve expanded the system with dimmer switches and now alexa they’ve been less and less reliable.
    All the non hue bulbs now show as unreachable in the app but I can still turn them on and off from both the app and the dimmer switches but the colour and whites adjust-ability has either stopped or become very erratic.
    Alexa will control the hue bulbs but if I ask her to control a group of mixed lamps only the hue ones respond.
    Most changes in behaviour coincide with firmware updates and it seems that updating the bulbs firmware could return full functionality but to do that I’ve got to manually reset each bulb, pair them with the lightify hub, update them, reset them and then pair them with the hue system again.
    Now I can get GU10 ambiance bulbs from Hue I’m going to replace all the osram bulbs and run them as a second system which hopefully alexa will then be able to control alongside the Hue ones.

TL:DR
    I wouldn’t bother if you value your sanity or marriage.

Premier Icon somouk
    Subscriber

I friend tried a few different suppliers including the new ikea stuff and it’s a bit hit and miss. I stick to the hue stuff and have never had an issue with mine.

Its normally after firmware updates to the phillips kit that you lose the 3rd party gear for a bit and then they update to catch up with a change again.

Premier Icon sam_underhill
    Subscriber

Interesting. Thanks. Hub v1 is quite old now isn’t it?

I’ve been looking at 2 things

1) Ikea GU10 lamps.
    They are, on the face of it a better lamp (400 lm output) than the philips ones and bit cheaper. The colour hue GU10s wouldn’t fit in my fittings anyway, they are too tall. The white ones look like they are shorter though, light output is still a little low though.

2) Zigbee LED strip controller to use an RGBW LED strip for under cabinet kitchen lighting. There are way better and more flexible (in use not physically!) LED strips so this should be a way better options than the philips strip which is only cuttable every 30cm and you can’t (easily) use cut sections.

Which all sounds brilliant, but I don’t want another massive techo-pain in my life just for some fancy lighting. I was hoping that it would be fit and forget, but is sounds like you might be suggesting I’ll be setting myself up for a world of pain!

Subscriber

By all accounts, the ikea stuff needs the latest firmware. It sounds like they didn’t really properly implement / support zigbee first time around.

Subscriber

Does anyone know if the full control of hue hubs, specifically voice control using alexa or google home, works with zigbee compatible lamps or LED strip controllers?

I’ve read some stuff about philips restricting some functionality with apple homekit, just wondering if anyone has any experience of this?

B.A.Nana

Interesting. Thanks. Hub v1 is quite old now isn’t it?

maybe (2012?) but only dif between v1 and v2 hub/bridge is AppleHomekit as far as I’m aware.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.