• This topic has 38 replies, 34 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by Kuco.
Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Phil Collins- no longer retired!!
  • senorj

So say the beeb..
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-34659811

I’m off out binge drinking….

lodious
    Free Member

Shame if he’s no longer playing drums….class drummer in his day.

enfht
    Free Member

There’s only one Phil Collins and he’s in Trailer Park Heaven eating Dirty Burgers. RIP Phil.

DezB
    Free Member

Phil Collins has made news? Blimey.

bigblackshed

I’m only interested if he means “I’ll talk to the rest of the Genesis boys and sort out a proper reunion tour, playing music up to and including The Lamb”.

Otherwise piss off back to your tax haven.

😉

duntstick
    Free Member

I never understood the hatred, is it because you know all his songs and it makes you feel old?

rOcKeTdOg

He’s got a hold on you, believe it

footflaps

I still think No Jacket Required is one the best Albums out there, which reminds me, must have a listen on Spotify…..

CountZero

duntstick – Member
    I never understood the hatred, is it because you know all his songs and it makes you feel old?

Not at all, NJR is a pretty good album, but like his Genesis stuff after And Then There Were Three, it all got very safe and bland, a sort of precoursor for Coldplay.
    And then there’s the sodding gated reverb on the drums, which he introduced, and which ruined pretty much every album for the next decade or more.
    But apart from that…
    And a big +1 to bigblackshed, too!

Frankenstein
    Free Member

After the Rewind festival, there is a market for 80’s concerts.

jimjam
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkRKT6T0QLg[/video]

I love a bitta Phil.

TheSanityAssassin

duntstick – Member

No – it’s because the noise he makes sounds really, really shit.

Drac

Has no one said ‘Who?’ yet.

This place isn’t the same.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

I know him. He is an arrogant cock.

boriselbrus
    Free Member

Who?

🙂

gordimhor

Jesus wept

v8ninety

Wasn’t he the bloke in the gorilla suit on the cadburys ad?

justatheory
    Free Member

Bet Stevie G is buzzin

choppersquad
    Free Member

Is this something to do with the ‘Legalise euthenasia’ thread?

Drac

Makes you think, twice.

brooess
    Free Member

I never quite got why Phil Collins went from being so huge to hated – what did he do exactly?

Meanwhile – this song is beautiful. You may notice Phil Collins on backing vocals…

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GtEy0Fze5Y[/video]

mikewsmith
    Free Member

[video]http://vimeo.com/62839747[/video]
    Thought he had already made a comeback

konabunny
    Free Member

Under Labour: Phil Collins says he will leave the UK^

Under Tories: Phil Collins announces tour.

Corbyn now!

^ yes I know this isn’t actually true

bomberpork
    Free Member

yeah, he said he’d be back when the cons were in charge again.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

[video]http://youtu.be/s-3kW0wEQIQ[/video]

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

Awesome drummer – at his best playing in Brand X

And yes, seeing the Lamb done with original band would be good.

But he isn’t going to drum, he’s going to sing. Shame.

IdleJon

I watched a Genesis concert on Sky Arts a few weeks ago and the thing that struck me was just how hopeless he was as a front man. Totally lacking charisma.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I never quite got why Phil Collins went from being so huge to hated – what did he do exactly?

I think it was partly his music was bland middle of the road stuff,I suspect it was partly his politics in being a rabid Tory, partly he was rumoured to have divorced his wife by fax, partly he moaned about homelessness making millions then **** off to be a tax exile with all his money and partly he was everywhere and a bit annoying

I was genuinely surprised to hear folk actually rate him and he wont be remembered by history of one of the greats even though he has sold lots of records

aracer
    Free Member

I don’t think that’s Phil Collins

Junkyard
    Free Member

Is he the one on the left 😉

senorj

Junkyard has it.
    Peter Gabriel was better….

Edukator
    Free Member

I went to see Genesis way back when, almost as embarrassing as owning a U2 vinyl. Gabriel had just left and I reckoned the audience sang Supper’s Ready better than Phil. I did like Buster, though he’s no doubt had more of a negative impact on the British balance of payments than the bank robber he played.

European countries need laws like the USA. If you pay less tax in your tax haven than you would in your home country you pay the difference to the Fed or you renounce your nationality.

Madame recently phoned a well-known British high street bank to open an account. She answered a few questions (including where she is resident and the amount) and got put through to the Jersey-based off-shore department, and had to explain that she wasn’t interested in avoiding tax but simply wanted an account in pounds.

nostoc
    Free Member

He plays on Brian Eno’s Another Green World and on some of John Cale’s best stuff.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

He’s like the Quo. Can’t stand him but if someone turns one of his tunes on without you noticing you’ll be singing along before the hideous moment of realisation.

Also [stevestunts] named my bike after him. Bastard.

CountZero

Anyway, stuff Phil Collins, when’s Mark Hollis going to get Talk Talk back together?

Waderider
    Free Member

A fair point Countzero. Let’s aim high.

Phils okay though, just sub-Gabriel. He hung out with John Martyn though, enough to redeem anyone.

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Statistically.. I think he’s in the top two or three artists of all time. Fantastically innovative, yet also totally bland. Massively popular, yet apparently lacking in charisma or movie star looks. Someone no one cares about, yet two pages on a mountain bike forum.

Not my cup of tea at all (I was forced to listen to his stuff way too much as a kid by my parents), but I can admire something of PC as an extraordinary artist/musician/thingy.

unovolo
    Free Member

Music aside he did help create this sweet little thing>

So not all bad

Kuco

I liked Phil Collins in the early days before his head disappeared up his own arse. And as Unovolo posted he did help to produce Lilly Collins 🙂

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Phil Collins- no longer retired!!’ is closed to new replies.