Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Phew..just 'done' the M25 on a fixed wheel…
  • TiRed

Seven and a half hours, 140 miles. Hardest part was spinning down the hills in Hertfordshire. It’s an iconic route with some lovely lanes. Two bottles, four gels and four fruit bars. One stop for the ride under the Thames at Dartford. Great fun.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1084653222

You know you want to do this!

Btw the ride starts at Staines bridge, but i had Garmin issues so had to ride the extra distance to be sure it logged properly. Will update the route on my Strava profile for those who are keen.

breadcrumb

Kudos.

DrP

Ooh… I like that!! Will download the .gpx for ‘sometime’!!

I was worried you are actually on the M25 for a minute there!!

Bravo!

DrP

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

Good work, did something similar about 18 months ago but not on a fixie!

jobro
    Free Member

18mph on a fixed! Much respect.

jobro
    Free Member

Can see this starting a trend for summer.

Phew..just”done” (enter epic or ironic route here)

onandon
    Free Member

Always wanted to do the M25 ring when I lived in the uk.

Good work fella

m0rk
    Free Member

How do you cross the Thames?

Looks like a fun day out though!

shermer75
    Free Member

I would also like to do this! Good work 🙂

reluctantlondoner

Yeah, very good work indeed. And if you could please make the route downloadable on Strava, that woud be ace. Ta.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

You must be tired….

jimdubleyou

https://www.gov.uk/dartford-crossing-bike

Looks like a long old day on the bike but I’d like a go at that.

cgh21
    Free Member

Amazing. What ratio were you using?

TiRed

Rode in 3:1 42×14. Probably a bit too big for proper Audax, hence the speed. You head for the crossing office and call the yellow phone and a van will take you across.

One point, the crossing is closed from 9:00 to 10:30. So leave too early and you’ll be waiting (as I had to).

The ride along the A25 is a road I know well and is pretty good. Thurock is awful, and the B road out is busy. Then you hit the Essex lanes and it’s lovely. Watford needs to be avoided. The original route is aiming for the A412. I will amend that. Possibly going outsite, although I’ve commuted to stevenage via Bushey a few times.

For Garmin, I originally wanted to follow the route on my 810. But route directions cause it to shut down? So I navigated using my 200 on breadcrumb trail, which was fine. Battery on the 200 lasted to Colnbrook, and I’m local from there. The 810 lasted even longer.

So my advice is take two garmins, navigate from a 500, use gears ;-). I’ll update the GPX from the proper start later.

mbqwerty
    Free Member

Kudos sent! Massive effort!

belugabob
    Free Member

I often thought that this would make for one of those bucket list rides.
    I may inspect your Strava trace, later,an decide if I’ve got 140 miles in my legs.

bikebouy
    Free Member

“Gulps
    Then reads who the OP is, and settles into a doffs casquette slo’mo.

whippersnapper
    Free Member

Will add to the list, thanks, I’ll work concentrically. The Capital Ring first, then London Loop, then this.

gonetothehills
    Free Member

Impressive! Thanks for sharing the info too. Ref Garmin 810 shutting down when navigating… just received my third warranty replacement back having had previous ones doing the same. No idea of the cause, but if it’s still under warranty it might be worth a chat with their support people…

nathb
    Free Member

Very impressive!!

Added to my bucket list for this year!

I’d do it with a small powerbank & short usb cable to give my gps computer some more juice. Just zip tie under the stem.

jamj1974

Excellent effort! Too hard for me!

simmy
    Free Member

Anyone else up here near Manchester getting ideas of doing a loop of the M60 ?

Would it be possible to keep near the motorway all the way round ?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Btw the ride starts at Staines bridge,

Do you commute that way? Seen someone on a fixie on my commute, wave if you see a fat guy on a yellow Cannondale.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Phew..just 'done' the M25 on a fixed wheel…’ is closed to new replies.