Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • PHDesigns Jackets
  • Ioneonic

I’ve looked at these jackets in the last year or two but never bought. Spring sale upcoming so might pull the trigger. Reviews seem good..any real world experience?
    Primarily interested in a responsibly sourced down jacket. Sizing good? I’m between sizes as 37 inch chest but 181cm (5’11)

whitestone
    Free Member

I’m 107cm (42″) chest, 180cm tall. Their large fits me fine. I’ve one of the sale variants of this: https://www.phdesigns.co.uk/wafer-down-jacket it’s got a hood and is a bit lighter (175g). Excellent quality, very little escaping down, reasonably damp resistant in that if there’s a light shower then you don’t need to get under shelter within 5 nano-seconds. Obviously heavy or prolonged rain is another matter. Can’t remember if mine’s rated to 0C or 5C but I’ve used it walking around in sub-zero temps and been fine (thin thermal underneath).

I thought of pulling the trigger on the Yukon jacket in their last sale. Got a significant birthday coming up so …

Ioneonic

Thanks. Likewise big birthday so looking at Yukon but I think will be too boxy for me. Not surprisingly they don’t offer custom items at sale prices (I’ve just noticed) so might need to reconsider…

sweaman2
    Free Member

sweamrs has a custom Yukon that’s been used for regularly for almost 10 years in Canadian winters down to -30C She loves it and it’s lasted well so far but we do take care with it  and it’s only used when it’s really cold so things like getting wet not an issue.  My equivalent is a RAB jacket (I forget which one but it’s not as lightweight / box wall) and I think the Box wall construction does make a significant difference to warmth.

piha
    Free Member

I’ve had a Yukon jacket and an Epsilon jacket for a couple of years now. I’m very impressed with both, the down jacket is used for proper cold weather, whilst the Primaloft insulated Epsilon jacket gets worn daily over cooler months. I especially like the Epsilon jacket for its shower resistant qualities.

Both have been faultless and performed exceptionally well. I would happily recommend PH Designs. Keep an eye out for their sales.

whitestone
    Free Member

Keep an eye out for their sales.

Care to read the OP’s second sentence? 😉

As others have noted their TOT (Typical Operating Temperature) figures tend to be on the conservative side.

Ioneonic

Any comments on standard sizing as appears may be too boxy for a lean body shape

whitestone
    Free Member

@dougal365 – see my first response: 180cm tall; 107cm chest; 82cm waist; arms normal length, i.e. zero ape index. Large is snug but not overly so on me, I could wear a thermal top and a fleece under it.

BadlyWiredDog

I’ve used a few PHD jackets and the cut is quite boxy and unsophisticated ime. Whether that’s an issue for you probably depends on whether you’re also quite boxy. Can’t fault them for warmth to weight and quality of materials, down etc.

When you say ‘primarily interested in a responsibly-sourced jacket’, do you mean that you want the fill to be ethically sourced or are you bothered by stuff like whether the face fabrics are recycled etc?

PHD’s ethics:
    https://www.phdesigns.co.uk/phd-company-ethics

vondally
    Free Member

I have a PhD minimus jacket and agree with bwd above, very boxy fit and does not suit me at all, hardly used because I have other jackets I feel are warmer and for bwtter – mountain equipment from the day and arcteryx, as well as primaloft ones that work better imho in this climate.

Ioneonic

Thanks all. I don’t think a standard fit will do for me. In terms of ethical I was originally thinking of the down, but will have a think about the rest. Back to square one really.

Merak

I’m selling this just saying.

andy8442
    Free Member

That looks as appealing has a damp day in Hull.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘PHDesigns Jackets’ is closed to new replies.