Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • PHD Designs Winter Sale On.
  • irc

Not sure if a PSA is justified when a sleeping bag is still more than £200 once I spec the long and wide options along with a half zip. On the other hand a quality goose down bag with 300g fill seems to be in the right ballpark for being light, packing small, but still capable of being usable to freezing point, or below with a bit of extra clothing.

So button pressed on a new lightweight bag. I’ll see how good it is in a few weeks time as delivery times of 20 days or more are stated.

PHD only do the 300g version in their sale. I think the 400 might be too warm much of the time. The 200 version good for +5 maybe only a summer bag in Scotland for cool sleepers?

http://www.phdesigns.co.uk/minim-300-down-sleeping-bag-m1

BadlyWiredDog

The long delivery times are because they effectively make most stuff to order in a factory in Stalybridge / Stalyvegas. Great kit, top notch construction and materials – that 900 fill power down in the Minim gives really impressive warmth to weight.

Stainypants

I so want one of their half bags but it would be such an indulgence for the number of times I’d use it. If one had been in the sale I might have gone for it.

ElShalimo

I can heartily recommend the Midwinter Minimus vest as my wonderful wife bought me one 3 years ago in the sale and it’s great
    8)

Stainypants – I’ve noticed that Alpkit have been inspired by PHD and are about to launch down quilts and half length bags to complement their bike packing range.

Stainypants

Cheers just checked it out £70 vs £170 makes it much more justifiable. I understand why the PhD bag is so expensive I have one of their jackets but for 3-4 night a year the alpkit one will do fine. I’m not going to be camping on the side of alpine ledge.

Kahurangi

Alpkit have been inspired by PHD and are about to launch down quilts and half length bags

bag with fill only in the bottom, to be work with a jacket on? Alpkit used to do those years ago.

irc

Yep. Looked at other slightly cheaper options which would probably fit me in the long versions but PHD’s reputation and supporting a British company swung it.

One bag for me and one for Mrs IRC. Need to look for a few extra shifts I think before the credit card bill arrives.

Murray

Very tempted by the Yukon but can I justify it as I already have a Minimus?

ElShalimo

Jon – I meant the quilt.

boblo
    Free Member

I have that Minim 300. It has ~200 nights of bike and backpacking and is a fantastic bit of kit. Fits in a 4l dry bag, weighs 570g and is good for +2°C and less if you wear a bit if extra (Primaloft etc).

I bought a Hispar 500 as well (after trading in a kidney) to replace a decrepit ME Lightline. It’s also a great bag but I’ve only a dozen or so nights in it so far :-/

PHD kit is A***. Don’t bother with any Alpkit comparisons, they just don’t compare.

whitestone
    Free Member

I got the Minim 200 in their spring sale. Very nice and shockingly light (less than 400g) but it’s definitely a 2 season bag – late spring through to early autumn. I got a Cumulus quilt to boost it for three season camping though only used that combo for one night so far so I don’t know how far I can push that. Need to get a decent compact 3/4 season sleeping mat next 🙄

bigblackheinoustoe
    Free Member

Oh I wish the wafer down jacket was in the sale.

whitestone
    Free Member

Oh I wish the wafer down jacket was in the sale.

This one? http://www.phdesigns.co.uk/wafer-down-jacket I just happened to be looking at the vest http://www.phdesigns.co.uk/wafer-down-vest – I’ve an old Rab down vest that weighs nearly four times as much! In fact it’s quite a bit heavier than the Minim 200 sleeping bag.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘PHD Designs Winter Sale On.’ is closed to new replies.