• This topic has 9 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by jedi.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Peugeot partner/Citroën berlingo real world experience
  • neil853
    Free Member

I have an astra estate at the minute but these camper conversions have got me thinking. Amdro make one that looks excellent and the thread on here also looked the business. From what I’ve read they seem cheap to repair and run etc i was just wondering if anyone had one and what they think of it? What fo they do mpg wise? I normally head to the alps each year so what are peoples experience when fully loaded? I know they’re far from ‘cool’ but they genuinely look like an amazingly practical vehicle.

alexxx
    Free Member

I wouldn’t pay that kind of money for a conversion… I’ve got a 1.9d 53 plate berlingo car version.

I’ve had it 3 years with me as my only vehicle – I removed 2 of the rear seats and left them in the garage and tinted the back side windows and placed ply carpeted boards over them with netting to hold bits and bobs.

I laid some carpet in the back and I also have the berlingo bike rack thanks to the previous owners… its good for 3 people comfortably with 0 hassle of bike fitting shenanigans inside or out.

Lots of space and a decent van – its annoying as you cant stand up inside it… but I’ve got the tailgate version so thats also very handy in the rain!

I usually take my gas cooker with me for brews…

It’s boring to drive but super reliable…. probably around 40mpg in the 1.9d version – more could be got but you’ll die of boredom before any return in £.

Would I recommend one? yes… I like mine and I like that its probably cost me £100 in 3 years and never suprised me. I like that tyres are dirt cheap and I like that I can get it super muddy and it comes up new every time.

I’d be tempted to get something with 3 seats in the front and a higher driving position but then youre into proper van territory which is more expensive to insure and more van like to drive…

It does what it does well but I’d say if there was 2 of you going away and you both wanted to sleep in it with bikes you’d be pushing your luck.

I literally drove back from my previous home in Morzine to Scotland with it to the roof and a big motorbike in the back and I think I got nearly 400miles per tank.

Hope that helps.

Oh..buy the car not the van…… secret storage under the passenger footwells as well! and don’t get the crappy airplane plastic boxed interior it kill too much space.

Final thought of blurbing… I’d be tempted to put a fake floor in mine say 10′ high with lids to keep boxes of stuff under and sleep on top of that.

I’ll probably sell mine now I’m back but only because I want a van I can properly convert (lwb high top jobbie)

northshoreniall

Agree with above, especially the internal plastic roof things – called modutop. Great storage but end up twatting bars off when trying load bikes – so I’d avoid that, came with mine as bought s/h.
    53 plate too, will prob get another if this ever dies

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Have you seen this thread?

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/berlingo-camperday-van-modular-slot-in-units-stage-1

(edit) Oooops, I see you mention other threads on here. Oh well, it may help others.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Agree with above except the reason to buy car over van

Cars rear floor is about 8 inches shorter than van.

You still get the same storage under where passengers feet would be inthe van.

We have a 56 1.9d partner van and it impressed me so much i bought a 54 plate berlingo 1.9d on same milage

1.9d has a timing belt interval of 45k though. I know of folk who have gone to 150 without changing and others who have gone t0 50 and snapped it! Costs me 100 quid at local indy toget done. If buying a 1.9d listen for whinin release bearing on clutch when the clutch is out. – a clutch and all associated seals + ancillaries fitted is 400 quid.

Other than that in 70k of miles ive snapped the two front springs (recall item) ,a cat rotted out and i just had the clutch done at 93k – after bringing a rover v8 as lt 85 long noseupthe road before realising it was over vans payload by along way- then rescue towing my mates lwb hitop transit. Its not had an easy life

Forget any illusions of camper conversions- its too small

The false floor idea is as bad as te modutop. Z the result is wheel off for bike to go in.

Both have merits – vans good for out of sight out of mind and stealth sleeping for 1

Car is goodfor transporting more than 2 people and insurance is half the price !!!

Buying again id buy the car just due to flexibility. Also cars all come with up and over doors. My van has barns- i hate them!

trail_rat
    Free Member

Also they do 525-575 miles per full tank brim to brim calculated

If you are a smooth driver and avoid traffic…..

trail_rat
    Free Member

One other thing if looking at 1.9d syncromesh on gear box whines like a good un in gears 1 – 2 its a pretty basic box i believe. Every one ive driven does it.

Dont be to alarmed at a drone in 1st 2nd when windows down. If it does it in third or jumps out of third walk – prone to blowing third gear amd boxes are like hens teeth unless you want to break a motor your self.

alexxx
    Free Member

mine doesn’t drone at all actually – must be lucky! agreed with timing belt mines only done 55k and i got it changed at 45 for cheap. <£100.

The false floor I meant to say should be the width of the remaining 3rd seat if you leave a single in the back to make a makeshift 1 man bed and storage.. height isn’t enough to do the whole floor and get bikes in with no faf. The berlingo bike rack really is ace though. I leave it on all year round… just a shame leaving your bike on the bike of your car isn’t secure … scally wise!

Terry you must have the grace of god to see that milage!

trail_rat
    Free Member

Long trips.

Just drove to alpe dhuez last week in van

Filled in dundee – filled on german border on way to mulhouse and will fill again tomorrow before heading to roubaix

130kph as much as possible but minimal speed changes.

Lowest i ever seen out of it was 38mpg. Stop start commuting i did for about 3 weeks .

jedi

my old 05 plate berlingo has done 200,000 and going strong

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Peugeot partner/Citroën berlingo real world experience’ is closed to new replies.